1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trading the #18 Pick

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by ghettocheeze, May 20, 2015.

1. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

When we traded Lowry a few years ago the price was just the #12 pick. Now he's three years older and on a bigger contract. I see no reason #18 + Jones and filler couldn't be realistic if the Raptors are blowing it up. It's definitely more realistic than #18 and a future first rounder from a team that hasn't picked higher than 14 in a decade (*edit for Embiid).

#61 Williamson, May 25, 2015
    Last edited: May 25, 2015
  2. NicktheBrick

NicktheBrick Member

You're claiming TJones is worth a first-round pick? Yes, you are "that guy in fantasy."

3. malakas

malakas Member

Embiid is a 20 year old center with three more years cheap. He's also a generational talent.
    Lowry is 30 year old pg, the deepest position in the league, and is paid 12 mil per. He also had an awful second half and postseason. He also fought with his teammates and his coach and publicly condemned him after the elimination. He is a lockeroom cancer and has been for a big part of his carreer always creating problems because he has trust issues. That's why he is available in the first place.

The offer of two late first round picks is laughable for someone like Embiid.
    The same offer would be on the low- not adequate but not terrible either- for Lowry. Just because he was an all star in the East doesn't mean so much. Korver was an all star as well, plus Justin Bieber got his fans to vote for Lowry because he plays for the Craptors.

BTW the 76ers haven't given up on Embiid. They broke all standards, by getting him involved in the combine interviews. He judged the other players answers and questioned them. They are building around him.

4. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

No. I forgot to put in for Embiid as you had proposed. I don't think Jones is worth more than a future first rounder, but I also think Embiid is worth a lot more than Lowry.

5. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Trade the NO pick... the NY pick.... TJones.... and whatever else gets us a pg that can at least stay in front of Curry.... I have a feeling finals appearences in the west will be going through GS for a few years to come - let's tool for that now....

6. malakas

malakas Member

In the end of the first round teams are lucky if the players they pick end up as bench players. Historically.
    So yes he's worth a first round pick because teams know what they will get, someone who is young and can be at least a bench player.

7. NicktheBrick

NicktheBrick Member

My apology.

I see the Rockets next year as:

Beverly/Liull (best-case)
    Harden/
    Ariza/Brewer
    DMo/
    Howard/Capela

Ideally they draft Jerian Grant or a PF at #18. If Jones lets them move up a few slots they will eagerly do the deal.

8. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Anyone that wants to use the pick....

What makes you think we would have better luck using the 18th pick (a tradeable commodity) over DM using a mid-late second rd pick or two - that can typically be acquired for cash and will result in a cheaper contract....

jus sayin at 18 its a crapshoot... rather have DM throwin those bones in the second rd where the only cost is some of Les' spare change - rather than a tradeable commodity.. use our available 'assets' on a known commodity that fills a hole (pg).

9. malakas

malakas Member

Well at 18 you have a very very slim shot at someone very raw with potential falling. Like Oubre or Looney. Or acquiring damaged talented goods like Upshaw. Or someone with elite skill but with very limited ceiling like RHJ who is a poor man MKG.
    At the mid late second, you acquire draft and stash players because all the others will be gone.

For the Rockets who are contending trading for a ready to contribute player is more valuable. For rebuilding teams with patience drafting in hopes of hitting a jackpot is the way.

You can also trade the 18th pick to Minny who is in love with Tyus Jones and get Bjelica and two early second round picks. Bjelica is the Euroleague MVP and a very talented point forward age 27. If you can convince to come over for the MLE you can then draft with the early seconds pgs.

10. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

You sir are tripping. Embiid was a very top draft selection last year. He has a tremendous amount of upside and potential. He is not worth less than a Kevin love type player or a very high lottery pick. Overweight or not.

On the other hand, Lowry is the better player but is much older. He has no potential for gowth and is what he is. also with reported turmoil in Toronto and rumors they blow it up he is much more likelier to be had.

Then we come down to the trade market. There is literally 20-30 teams willing to trade for a young former top lottery pick with tremendous upside. Whereas there is only a few teams willing to trade for a veteran pg. Had to be a contender with a need at pg.

Teams I can envision interested in trading for Lowry. Houston, Indy, Dallas (possibly), New Orleans, NYK, Miami.

That's 6 teams. So it would definitely be a buyer's market for Lowry compared to a sellers market for Embiid.

1 person likes this.
  11. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

Agreed, Lawson addresses one of our big issues but does not leave us with any room to fill the remaining gaps. If I'm running the Rockets I see who + #18 can get you Lowry. If TJ/Pap/Prigs I go for it. If too high I see if NJ/#18/Prigs/Pap can bring back George Hill (highly unlikely for either). I'd prefer to keep her Howard/Harden/Ariza/DMo/Capela core together if possible, with room to retain at least one of Brewer & Smith.

Both trades should still leave you with enough room for a 3 & D player off the bench, as well.

12. NicktheBrick

NicktheBrick Member

Oubre at #18? Dear God, why do I even bother here?

13. malakas

malakas Member

Chad Ford's latest mock draft has him at 17. One spot ahead of 18. So yeah I stand by what I said. There's a slim chance he falls to the Rockets.
    But if you don't want to bother with Chad Ford then fine.

14. NicktheBrick

NicktheBrick Member

If so, then I apologize. I've seen him top-10 in every mock I've read. Sorry.

15. malakas

malakas Member

Don't worry. He has fallen a lot lately because he didn't well in the combine. He showed a lack of fundamentals and handles. Ford reported more on him on his workout report in the previous days. Someone posted it whole in the nba draft lottery thread if you want to read it.

16. basketballholic

If only. .............

If only Oubre had a good handle and floor vision. ........

17. malakas

malakas Member

well..handles is much harder to improve that shooting and floor vision is pretty much un improvable (spelling?) You are born with it or not.
    So these two are pretty big questionmarks.

18. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

I don't really remember ever hearing the Rockets loving a player this early and making it known. Personally I don't see Tyus Jones on the board at 18 when its all said and done and I will be very surprised if the rockets keep the pick if they can't move up and get a crack at drafting a Myles Turner or Kaminsky for bigs rookie contracts. The gem in this draft will be the 32nd pick as far as value goes and cap, some 1st round talent will definetly fall to the rockets at 32!!!!

19. malakas

malakas Member

What do you think about this?

Houston trades Jones to Washington for 19th + filler
    Houston trades 18+19 to Indy or Miami for 11/10th pick
    Houston trades 10th + NY second + 2016 first round + filler to Toronto for Lowry or to Denver for Lawson.

Reasons:
    This is according to the steppien rules and is done at draft night.
    We know Pierce is about to opt out of his contract and go sign with the Clippers and Nene has been an utter dissapointment. Washington wants to content asap to be able to attract free agents next summer. So they will take a young pf with some upside that can contribute immediately and be a starter in the east than wait years of investment of one of Looney/Lyles. Even at the 3rd pick two years ago they took the most NBA ready prospect in Otto Porter.

Indy and Miami are two contending teams who fell to the lottery due to injuries and have not commited to rebuild. They both need cheap rookie contracts to fill out their benches. This way they get two prospects instead of one, esp if someone like WCS or Myles Turner doesn't fall.

Denver and Toronto look to rebuild with multiple picks by trading their pgs. The Houston 2016 pick is very bad value but the high second and the top 10 2015 balances it.

Thoughts?

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I just don't see a major player shaking loose until after free agency starts. Kinda of makes trading a pick for a player situation kind of tough to pull off because you don't know if that player you are taking is going to be who X team wants in a trade in a month at that point, or if they'd rather have something else.

The two interesting names -Lowry & Lawson have teams that I could see trying to win next year, or least making the playoffs. I would think that both GM's would want to see how free agency shapes out first before they completely dismantle their team.

Sure Hinkie did this with Philly on draft night so it is possible, but look at that situation and GM and look at the price that had to be paid to get that caliber of PG that early in the offseason. The Rockets don't have NEARLY that type of offer to make.

The Rockets should probably plan on drafting a player they will want to use in the future and not just treat that pick as a trade asset. If it can be both than great, but plan on taking a player that can be useful next year first and foremost.