1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trading Shane Battier?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Kwame, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Riding the coattails of the thread revisiting the Battier-Gay trade, I was curious to know what everyone thinks the Rockets could realistically get for Battier if they did want to trade him.

Battier's contract is reasonable. He has four years left on it with his current salary being a little over $5.8 million and a little over $7.3 million in the final year.

As I said in the other thread, I think the only way the Rockets could get some talent for him is to take on salary and/or inherit a long term deal. The Rockets could sweeten a potential deal by adding players like Aaron Brooks, Luther Head, Kirk Snyder, or Rafer Alston and maybe even a draft pick or two.

Personally, I think Corry Maggette for Battier would be great. Maggette could start at SG, which would allow T-Mac to move to the 3. Maggette is a strong slasher to the basket with a decent jump shot and would add some scoring punch, rebounding, and much needed athleticism. He's making $7.8 million this year with a player option for next season. The Clippers have Cat Mobley under contract until the 2009-10 season. Currently, because of the Elton Brand injury, Maggette is starting at SF for the Clips. However, Tim Thomas would usually be the starting SF with Brand and Kaman at center and Mobley in the back court. Battier for Maggette works straight up, but I doubt the Clips would do this. However, with Shaun Livingston's future uncertain and Cassell most likely retiring after this season, and after watching the terrible performances of their current PGs (Dan Dickau and Brevin Knight), if we sweeten the deal enough by adding a PG or draft picks, the Clippers might do it. Maggette might opt out after the season so the Clips might not wanna risk losing him and gaining nothing in return while the Rockets should be willing to take that risk, because "It's Time."

This is hypothetical of course, but a year or so of watching him play, I'm beginning to think that it might be better to move him. I do realize he's popular so I'm prepared for the negative posts as well, but I just want this team to at least get out of the first round this year (which might very well happen with Battier) and contend for a championship in the following seasons. "It's Time" after all.

This post is a little longer than I intended, but I still want to know what others think. Is Maggette a realistic possibility? If not, what could we realistically expect for Battier. Thanks.

2. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Clips would never, never, never trade Maggette for Battier. They're not going to take on the salary, and.....Maggette is better.

I do agree, I think Maggette would be awesome and make us virtually impossible to defend with his ability to finish and draw fouls. Our games would turn into free throw practice between him and Yao with them getting us into the bonus 6 minutes into every quarter. Not to mention Francis and his FT shooting and taking the contact at the rim.

3. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

No Jew. No Jew.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I've been wanting Maggette on the Rockets for two years. Injuries are the only thing that scare me about him.

5. Butterfingers

BTW this is the first time ive seen your ass on clutchfans. you dirty rat.

6. Chronz

Chronz Member

Its a trade that Dunleavy has requested

7. bingfei236

bingfei236 Member

just 2years ago, wells was at same level with Maggette, almost same style

and now? even we trad Battier with wells for Maggette, clips will not agree the trade, what is going on? it seems like our team is black hole would eat this good players.

8. Kwame

Also, I really want to know what some of the more knowledgeable people here think we can get for Battier if we were trying to trade him.

This is an inside joke so I hope nobody gets offended.

Butterfingers what's going on man.

9. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Is that suppose to be funny?

10. Butterfingers

its a inside joke between me and him.

11. Kwame

The Rockets would actually be taking on salary, but Battier does have 3 years left on his contract. What about the Clips risking losing Maggette and getting nothing in return?

I do agree that Maggette is better.

Chronz - Thank you for mentioning that Dunleavy has requested this trade. I completely forgot about Dunleavy and Maggette's turbulent relationship over the years, whick is another reason that this deal might be a realistic possibility.

12. rock8ts

rock8ts Member

trade yao,
    trade tmac
    trade rafer
    trade sh8t.

13. D.J. Augustin

D.J. Augustin Member

I do like Maggette. He's not considered an all-star player I guess, but I've noticed he's always ranked very high in free throws attempted. Every year, he was in the top 10 it seemed.

I might do Battier, James, and a pick/cash for him if we're still having some problems after the all-star break, and we are in dire need of a guy who can give us scoring punch without being a defensive liability.

Right now though, trades should be the last thing on anyone's mind.

14. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Shane Battier guards the other team's best player every night, can hit the three at a high percentage and never gets hurt. There is no way in hell you trade him for Corey Maggette.

15. Kwame

Corey Maggette was just a player I threw out there.

I don't agree with you, but the main part of my post was a hypothetical scenario:

What could the Rockets get for Battier realistically if they were trying to trade him?

16. rockets34

rockets34 Member

I am not sure about the veracity of the clips as a possible battier trade destination, but what we can logically surmise is that only two types of teams would be interested in trading for battier, and they are a team that is one "glue guy" away from a championship team, or a young team stocked with talent that needs a mature veteran as a calming influence, ie the hawks. The former is far more likely than the latter. Now realistically for the battier trade to be worthwhile to us it would involve one of these contenders giving up a player that is integral to making them a contender in the first place, hence making battier extremely difficult to trade for equal value. As far as a young team goes, I don't see any team giving up a promising, talented player that we would actually want, for the limited intangibles that shane allegedly brings ( i know, its extremely ironic).

17. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

i would take your hypothetical in a heartbeat, maggette would be exactly the punch our offense lacks. i don't think it could happen battier for maggette straight up but it's not far fetched. maybe head+battier for maggette? the clips would have to consider it.

18. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

You guys overestimate Battier's value. We are the only one that thought he was worth Rudy Gay. The only way we are going to get something decent for him is if we take on someone with baggage(Artest) or a bloated contract.

19. Dei

Dei Member

Rudy wasn't, and still isn't, worth a lot. I still think we got a fair trade. That said, Battier isn't worth much either; or rather, has a very select market. Only teams close to the elite level have room for a player like Shane and teams with rebuilding in mind just will not be interested. I doubt the Clips would take him unless we package in some potential (say Head, Snyder, and/or Landry + pick/s).

I'd rather see Head, Snyder, Novak, James and Landry shipped before Shane.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Then why don't you take it somewhere else.