1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trading for an Injured Player???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dobro1229, Feb 3, 2011.

1. wakawakka

wakawakka Member

I know almost every center gets frequent injuries, but I hate taking the risk on it considering what we've been through with Yao...I don't like the idea of Kaman's injury history coupled with his fat contract. Same with Bynum. I used to be really high on Varejao...but this season being forced to play full time center he started to get little injuries until his body finally broke down for the season. HELL NO to Greg Oden. My fairest dream come true would be trading for either Gortat or Nene. Or just waiting until the off season to get Chandler or Perk.

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I dont really see why not, but feel free to explain why you feel that way. Size wise he matches up with 90% of centers in the league at 6'11"/260 pounds.

If its skill level on offense, the way the Rockets run their offense now puts him in a position to pass out of the high post and set screens for shooters. Nothing he cant handle.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

The Mavs would GLADLY do that deal. Why would you want to if you're the Rockets though?

10-11: $6,900,000
    11-12: $7,624,500
    12-13: $8,349,000
    13-14: $9,073,500
    14-15: $9,798,000
    15-16: $10,522,500*Final season completely unguaranteed if waived on or before August 1, 2015
    Total: $52,267,500

4. dobro1229

Have a hard time seeing Chandler or Perkins not re-signing with their current teams. They are too important to these teams remaining contenders next season.

As for Gortat/Nene... I completely agree that those two are first priority, but might be hard to come by for the right price.

I think of Varajao and Kaman because of the buy low/sell high approach(dont think contracts but overall value) Morey has aspired to make smaller moves by, and he could see this as an opportunity to prepare for next season by stocking up the big spot long term.

Even though these two players have sizeable contracts, Morey most likely wouldn't have to give up as many key players in order to attain them due to the fact that they are injured.

I would just hope that any move for a player like this would have to take into account that they are not prone to chronic injuries like Greg Oden and Andrew Bynum. I would take a gamble on a player with a random ankle injury any day over one with chronic knee problems.

5. dobro1229

That is Elton Brand contract nasty. No thank you.

6. AggieRocketsFan

Would not be surprised at all to see Chandler sign with the Heat on the cheap as a FA. That would be a perfect fit for him.

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Maybe,but Haywood is not worth it.

8. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

He's healthy and a very good rebounder/defender, I see no reason to consider that a bad contract. That's the going rate for players his caliber.

9. dobro1229

Chandler has been the difference maker for the Mavs this season. Cuban has showered him with tons of praise, has been saying to the media that he is incredibly happy to be in Dallas. Cuban will pay to keep him.

Hard to believe he would leave millions on the table to go to the Heat where he would have to sign for the vet min most likely. Most likely Dallas will find a taker for Haywood and use the savings to sign Chandler long term.

The Rockets might not take Haywood, but that doesn't mean someone else wont take him.

10. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

A deal sending Yao/Scola/Jared/Battier to Cleveland for Jamison and Varejao works salary wise for both teams and gives us a $17 million TPE along with a nice $15 million expiring contract in Jamison that could be traded next season if everything else falls through. I would expect Cleveland to chip in a first rounder though, since we are taking so much salary off their hands. A $17 TPE and a $15 million expiring contract could be enough to get a superstar or two here by next season.

11. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

I don't agree with you that Kaman is a scrub, but I agree he wouldn't take us anywhere we'd want to go. Short term solution.

12. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Zero chance of that happening. Top 4 pick guaranteed.

13. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I was thinking the Miami pick.

14. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Size wise he is at least as big as Hakeem was.

15. AggieRocketsFan

I think it's a great contract.

Signed,

[​IMG]

16. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

This thread presents an interesting idea but if I were in Morey's shoes , I'd be looking at young players who's contracts were set to expire either RFA or UFA. I think teams would be more willing to move players when they feel like they may lose them for nothing -

The first one that comes to mind for me is DeAndrea Jordan of the Clippers. Sure , they would probably prefer to move Kaman and his contract but if they cant find a taker , it might be difficult for them to resign Jordan.

I would only trade for a guy who isnt goiong to play at all this season if it were a last resort .... I'd take a shot at Thabeet before I would an injured player and I dont think Thabeet is the answer at all.

17. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Oakafor was a PF who settled into the 5. Same with Horford. Varejao can play the 5 too. All 3 do a really good job at the 5 but there is no doubt they would be more effective in their natural position which is the 4.

I wouldnt mind trading for Varejao even though he is injured. I dontlike Kaman however, he wil only add to our defensive woes. Right now we lose games scoring 110, by adding Kaman we will lose games by scoring 120.

18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

If adding that injured player , thats saying "We give up" on this season. No reason to take on a guy like Kaman with that much salary ... gotta be looking for young players if thats the case.

Only way you take on that kind of money is if that player gives you a legit shot at making a deep run.

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Getting Thabeet is way more logical than getting an injured plyer. At least he may contribute this season. Doubt it though. Still he is bettr than a player who may never be the same when and if they return.

20. Spankie

Spankie Member

Nope, not straight up. The mavs would never get too desperate//