1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trading either Harden or Dwight is a suicide mission, it's delusional to push for on the board

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by _RTM_, Feb 6, 2016.

1. malakas

malakas Member

because they before they trade for him, they will have made damn sure that he will resign with them and probably already have talked about a price.
    And two first rounders that are in 20s are not such hot stuff. If you combine them the best you can do is go to pick 15 or so. (depends on the draft though).

But something>> nothing.

2. Disciple2123

Disciple2123 Member

With what Deandre Jordan did last offseason I don't know if teams will trust a verbal commitment as much. And Howard will want to weigh his options anyway. Can't see him agreeing to stay with a team if he doesn't know what else is out there. And yes something is better than nothing I completely agree but guys like Ainge won't cough up even two late first rounders for Howard who will want to explore his options. It's the smart thing to do if you're Howard.

3. malakas

malakas Member

That's the thing.
    Ainge can't use all his first rounders and very early second rounders this year as is because he dosnt' have enough roster spots and a team is impossible to develop 5 rookies at the same time. (Actually more since Rozier, Hunter, and Young and Mickey are basically rookies with the playing time they have gotten).

There is no team that can develop 9 players at the same time! That's too much youth. Even if he stashes some it's still too much. Trust me. Even the Wolves who are commited in a total rebuild can't find playing time for 3 developing wings at the same time.

Dwight according to Cyber is already weighing the market and it's not too hot.

4. Disciple2123

Disciple2123 Member

If it's true that Morey had been listening to trades for Howard since December and nothing serious came out of it to me it means no team is willing to give up anything worthwhile. Teams would rather hold onto assets and try and steal him in the summer. Centers like Howard will be extinct from the NBA soon. He could get by if he was a good passer like Bogut... But he's not. He's still a good defender but small ball is the new NBA. Your bigs need to be able to do more than an ugly left handed hook shot and a PnR alley.

5. theoldblood

theoldblood Member

Who would you trade Harden for?

As for Howard. everyone keeps suggesting Cousins, but I doubt that the Kings would make that trade.

6. Disciple2123

Disciple2123 Member

If you get offered two first rounders you obviously take it. Morey probably feels that he loses in that trade and won't do it. You won't get equal value for him. He has to accept this season as a loss already though and get what you can.

I like Morey with draft picks though. He can usually package those picks with Brewer and get him out of here to just have tons of space!

7. malakas

malakas Member

according to some leaks Morrey is asking for a BKN pick. Not the Dallas+Boston picks who are in the 20s. So not sure if he took it.
    It's not about taking back fair value..it's about taking back value.

And this trade may still happen, since Ainge is waiting till the end to see if the Griffin or Gallo situation have a breakthrough anyway. Or even Cousins.

8. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

I like Dwight but the writing is on the wall unfortunately :( I wish him all the best

9. Disciple2123

Disciple2123 Member

in your opinion if Howard verbally agrees to sign in Boston this summer does that give Ainge more incentive to give up the BKN pick?

10. malakas

malakas Member

Ainge won't trade the BKN 2016 pick for Dwight. If it was another GM perhaps but not Ainge. He would rather take his small % to hit a top 2 spot in the lottery.
    However the other 2016 picks + some okay young prospects yes.

11. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

people want us to be the next Philadelphia 76'ers

12. nigma2000

nigma2000 Member

Let's see what this team does with a real coach first before blowing the whole thing up. Kevin Mchale reminds me of the David Blatt situation, he was hired here to play the young guys and give them minutes, something Adelman never wanted to do. All of a sudden we get Harden and then Dwight, things look different, the whole plan changed. At this point Mchale finds himself in a tough situation that he has to win now. That's not what he was hired for. Bickerstaff should have never been named coach but at that point we were in a tough spot.

I totally agree with the saying that the team that trades the star player is always the loser in the deal. Remember, when we traded Scottie Pippen for toilet paper and a bag of chips? The team never recovered for decades after that trade. If I'm the Rockets, I do everything I can to keep Dwight (close but not max deal) and Harden here. Just get a very good coach and decent role players that fit the system. You can't be a 3 point shooting team if you have crappy shooters.

Last year was kind of fools gold, we lucked out being the second seed and our luck continued in the playoffs, the players also carried the team (namely Harden) but we should have fired Mchale two years ago after the Portland series.

1 person likes this.
  13. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

flip flopping again, DD? ...smh

14. kjayp

just saying it doesnt make it true...

Allen Iverson and Dominique Wilkins are just 2 names that were great players but didn't necessarily make the guys around them better... they were both ball dominate players that were so ball dominate that the rest of the team couldnt flourish...
    Otoh... the championship Pistons had a well rounded team of guys that played above their norm because they were all involved and any of them could be the lead scorer on any given night...
    If you have harden on your team then you are only going as far as harden takes you... like AI or Dom... If harden had the level of devotion to the game that a Kobe or MJ or Bird or even LeBron has... I'd say run with him and hope for the best... but he doesn't.
    harden will put up great stats, he'll fill the seats, he'll make some highlight clips - but I don't see him LEADING us to a championship...
    I wish it wasnt the case... but he is who he is and it is what it is and "those that matter don't mind and those that mind don't matter..."

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

hmm the rockets didn't throw tmac off the club, he wanted to leave because he couldn't work with rick adelman, plus he started sucking.

but, don't let that change the history in your head

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/02/18/tracy-mcgrady-trade-knick_n_467867.html

Harden is not getting traded.

The Rockets didn't get a bad reputation for trading McGrady, he bounced around like ping pong ball after Houston.

The Knicks didn't really want him. They just wanted to clear cap space.

http://nypost.com/2010/11/14/mcgrady-trade-haunts-knicks/

#55 tinman, Feb 7, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  16. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

It's not suicide if we are already dying.

17. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Make a trade with LAC. Harden for Griffin? It is time.

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Trading Harden right now is pretty dumb. He's still a dominant player and a few changes here and there could bring him back to MVP mode quickly.

Dwight however has very little chance of returning back to MVP caliber play at his age and mileage even with change in the org that benefits his game. With Dwight it's all about cost vs on the court value. He's just not worth 25 million a year anymore and a GM can allocate those funds much easier into several players that can do more than just what Dwight does at this stage.

I actually like Dwight and would love to retain him at the appropriate value but he will never stay at that rate so assuming the Rockets stop being delusional and realize this team isn't a contender this year, I think it's time to trade Dwight and retool around Harden while trying to find another 2nd option that actually fits playing next to James.

Oh and a new coach this Summer who is a hard ass on defense would be the best thing this team can acquire.

19. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I agree with this post's message about star players, but my question is whether Howard is still a star player?? Yes, he is definitely paid like a star player and will be in the future, but does he produce like a star player? And what will his production be like a couple years down the road? Plus, I don't think his attitude is what this team needs.

20. kjayp

He CAN produce star player #s (26 boards / 36 pts on 1/18) but he is not utilized to his fullest potential here... it's the 'James harden' show and everybody else gets the scraps... the guy is shooting .606 - yet gets 8.5 shots a game... seldom do others flourish with Harden on the court - except for the guy he's 'guarding' - lol!