1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trading Asik for a NON-PF

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dakeem1, Nov 25, 2013.

1. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

Let's assume that T-Jones is the real deal and is worth keeping as our long term PF next to Dwight.

This causes a problem... a good problem to have I must say.

We all know that Asik wants out of Houston. The general consensus was to not sell low on him, and work on a deal that gave us an all-star, or near all-star PF like Milsap or Ryan Anderson. If the rockets show faith in T-Jones, then what can we trade Asik for and still get fair value? I feel like T-Jones' strong play has forced us to reconsider this strategy and now look at trading Asik for less in order to keep the team chemistry/fit.

So, what should we be trading for now, if not a starting caliber PF?

Back-up C : Obviously losing Asik means we have no true backup center except maybe Greg Smith. We would need a solid center to come back to us. Someone along the lines of Dalembert or Zaza. Maybe add in Jason Smith or Steven Adams to that mix.

Defensive wing off the bench : Our greatest weakness is our premeter D. We have Ronnie Brewer, but the guy can't shoot. can we get someone along the lines of Corey Brewer (don't think Asik fits the Wolves at all though), MKg (can't shoot, just like Ronnie) or Tony Allen (once again, Griz wouldn't start Asik).

If we want to get some sort of fair value for Asik, I think we need BOTH a back up C and a defensive wing. I don't know where we can get this from though.

What teams have a package that fits this criteria? Or is there a different criteria we need to look at?

2. NotChandlerParsons

Whatever Morey thinks will add wins in the future. Probably a pick.

3. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

i can guarantee Tjones wont keep up this efficiency no way he can keep this hot.

I suspect Morey wants a pick but will settle for a versatile forward who can help us if we want to play big or small

4. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

I want a backup center and\or a defensive energy type of a wing player....

5. RoxOn RoxOff

RoxOn RoxOff Member

Why not Griz? Marc Gasol is out indefinitely.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...rc-gasol-mcl-sprain-out-indefinitely/3685993/

6. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

7. RoxOn RoxOff

RoxOn RoxOff Member

OP mentioned Tony Allen.

But I think Omer for Tony Allen is overpaying. I am just saying they do have a need at C.

8. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Uh, Mike Conley and Tony Allen for Lin and Asik?

9. RoxOn RoxOff

RoxOn RoxOff Member

That's actually a pretty even trade. Grizz takes a hit on guard depth but that's what happens when you lose your franchise big man. Question is how desperate are they.

10. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

TJ has good upside, but his individual defense is horrid at this point in time. Do you really want to have two gaping holes in our defense come playoff time???? We might be able to compensate for one liability, but two?

11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=247118

12. Ericonomist

Ericonomist Member

Taj Gibson + Jimmy Butler

13. Ericonomist

Ericonomist Member

14. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

Um... because Asik wants to be a full-time starter, not a temporary one?
    It's not like Marc is out forever? It will be max 10 weeks. Some people are saying he'll only be out for 4. The Griz would like it, but Asik will have the same issues once Marc comes back.

I like the Conley idea though.

15. Rox23

Rox23 Member

Basically we need to trade Asik for Asik.

Problem is...a center with that rare skillset will want to start.

I disagree that Ronnie Brewer is not a player. The guy can ball, can even shoot a little bit. Both Brewer and DMo could contribute to this team if allowed the chance. There's just too much talent here and not enough spots. It's too bad that Asik wants out.

Best case scenario is that we just keep Asik.

16. forty4487

forty4487 Contributing Member

should probably have just said this in one of the many "asik trade" threads already created

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

he does not need to stay hot... get the rebounds that is a consistent skill he can't forget

18. Remii

Remii Member

The only people who have abused TJ is Dirk and Melo... And Melo should have been Parsons defensive assignment. Other than that his defense has been darn good. He has not been out played by anyone else. He canceled out Love the last game and Love couldn't hold him. TJ is the only legitimate 2way player in the starting lineup.

You can't always expect guys to go out and shut down a super star scorer.

1 person likes this.
  19. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Asik is a temporary stopgap that will get frustrated once Gasol returns.
    Plus, the only way Memphis trades one of their core is if they plug their major hole: a knockdown shooter (in addition to Lin).

Maybe Casspi?

Still seems highly unlikely, they would be totally revamping their roster and losing major strengths (their best perimeter defenders and one of the best game managers in the league)

20. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Why not the Grizz? ZBo is getting old and Asik and Gasol TT is certainly better than Asik and Howard TT. Gasol can pass off the high post and can hit the jumper pretty consistently.