1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trading Aaron Brooks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rileydog, Feb 8, 2010.

1. LifeisButaDream

Can we trade for D.Collson 16 points and 9 assist.at the half. :eek:

2. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

Brooks is a piece of the puzzle, but a not a piece you build around. He's already done more than I ever thought he could, but he is not the type of player you can build around.

3. choujie

choujie Member

AB is the #1 scorer on this team and he should start now, but that doesn't mean he can't come off the bench for a much improved team in the future.

Manu Ginobili was the #1 scorer on Spurs in 07-08 and he had a much completed game than AB, yet he still came off the bench, for the reason that Spurs had enough offense in startling line-up but they needed his scoring with 2nd unit. It's all about the team.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Backup QB syndrome...take 73......

Trade our 20ppg starting PG....so the bad shooting one can start.

Pass and Riley dog, this is a "not so clever attempt at the start Lowry" campaign.

Who cares who takes up the cap room if it is our best player..

SHEESH !

DD

#104 DaDakota, Feb 8, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  5. Chamillionaire

+1, he would make a great spark off the bench a la jason terry. but i wouldn't label him as a franchise player by any means. he's got too many gaps in his game. he's too small, can't defend well.

the fact that he scores well is a good piece to have, especially when your starting lineup isn't scoring he would be great off the bench.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

the only way I trade AB is if we get a Superstar SG that can create and shoot 3's like AB.

that's the only way I defend a trade but there is ZERO chance we will get D-wade.

7. krockets

krockets Member

Would you guys consider trading Brooks under this scenario?

To NJ Nets:
    Tmac, Ariza, Brooks, Scola, & Houston's 1st round pick

To Houston Rockets:
    Devin Harris, K Dooling (2 more yrs left), B Simmons' expiring, Tony Battie's expiring, Timberwolve's 1st round pick, drafting rights of Ricky Rubio

To Timberwolves:
    Net's 1st round pick, drafting rights of Sergio, Cash

Why would Nets do this?

Well, it very clear that they can't really attract big names unless they have a solid supporting cast, which they don't have right now. A core group of Lopez/Scola/Ariza/Lebron/Wade/Brooks or Lopez/Scola/Ariza/Lebron/Brooks or Lopez/Scola/Ariza/Wade/Brooks looks very good to me... Not to mention, it would give them more cap space to sign FA with Ariza/Brooks's salary instead of Harris/Dooling. (They could waive Scola if they are able to sign two top FA, if not, then sign Scola)

Why would Houston do this?

Well, simple, for Devin Harris, Ricky Rubio, the potential 2010 #1 pick, and later flipping the two expiring and Brian Cook for Butler + Andre Blathe + filter. Also, getting under the luxury tax this year. So a potential lineup of:

Lowry/Ricky Rubio/#1 pick(John Wall?)
    Harris/Budinger
    Butler/Landry/Budinger
    Battier/Landry//Blathe
    Yao/Anderson/Chuck

8. Hayden_SFC

Hayden_SFC Member

I would certainly entertain the idea of using Brooks as an important trading piece. Though would find it hard to pull the trigger because he is such a good scorer for his size. But I do agree, he isn't that much of a true point guard.
    I think next year this team could be dangerous.
    If we get Butler, who I think is more likely than getting AI, then we have a 20ppg guard. Ok, he's technically a SF, but he can play the two....who else would? Ariza?, with his amazing dribbling. Then we get Yao back (fingers crossed) who despite a lot of doubters on here, I think will be back to being around a 20ppg player. Complimented with Landry, who I'm sure will start since Scola is probably gone in a trade. And Brooks, who has proven that he can flat out score, though he'll have to get it out of his head that he is the guy once Yao comes back. Pretty good team IMHO. Though, even with this I still feel like we would need one more piece.
    And in regards to all the big name free agent talk coming up I never thought we would have a chance at any of the big names....and still don't. So I'm not to fond of the idea of banking on that. Not to say that is the gameplan, but still.

9. DaDakota

Supporting Member

You do not need a true pg to win.

DD

10. SpaceCityKid

SpaceCityKid Rookie

Just a guy who is a TRUE winner.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

WTF is a "TRUE" winner?

12. jevjnd

jevjnd Member

I wouldn't move him. Personally I think that Brooks' speed negates some of his height disadvantages on defense as well. It's not like teams don't play help defense. I'd take him over Lowry any day of the week, but I guess that we'll see what Morey decides to do.

1 person likes this.
  13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

if this team is indeed going to start over (and i think they are) brooks' best asset is his speed and he will start slowing down in a few years because he is already a little older just as carl landry is. his value will probably never be higher then it is this year. so i could actually see morey trade him.

14. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I have no idea what you are trying to say but I do know that people clamoring for Lowry to start over Brooks are about as wrong as can be.

DD

15. Raw Texas

Raw Texas Member

This is really dumb... With lowery and Brooks this team is set. This team is set at PF, SF, and PG. Don't know how much of a fan you are and watch these games, but if you see Brooks on D. He actually plays much bigger guys very well on D. The only player I have seen really take over is Rose. Whith roses speed and size Brooks had a tuff time. With everybody else he does just fine.

16. REEKO_HTOWN

Set at PG...yeah I think so.

Set at SF...meh I guess but I want more scoring off the bench from Bud. Hopefully we trade Battier for some youth of picks soon.

Set at PF...not really. We need Height!! Landry is a GREAT backup but not starter material. I want my PF to be at least 6'10.

Brooks never defends physical PG's well; that's Lowry's job.

17. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

I like Brooks and he's a fantastic scorer but the team functions better with a point guard with Lowry's skill set.

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

On the ESPN Trade Machine, the Rockets benefit more from trading Brooks and benefit less by trading Lowry. So, the Trade Machine makes it look as if Lowry is a better asset to the team. Hmmmmm....

19. limitlessRox

limitlessRox Member

Everyone know he doesn't run the team like Tony Parker and Chris Paul and maybe he will never be able to run the team that well. however, given his improvement, I'd be willing to let him grow here. With his talent, I would want a very good player or players in return...maybe part of a package deal such as AB/Tmac or AB/Ariza/some bench guy. The thing with Aaron is, he is in his third year. You don't want a veteran for him unless that guy is someone like Pau Gasol.

20. Tornadoofsoul6

ESPN Trade Machine is based off of PER.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yk3n6lv

Durant < Landry going by trade machine standards