1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trading Aaron Brooks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rileydog, Feb 8, 2010.

1. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Well ya! AI is a better player than Brooks, nobody is doubting that but they have a similar playing style!! Im just sayin its possible to have a 6'0 foot utility guard!

2. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Wow, Good point, I never even thought of that....

--RB

3. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Don't know about that. He and Yao, were doing pretty well last season in the Portland series and since when does having a PG that can score on his own from anywhere on the court become a detriment?

Lowry is very good, but at best he is like Derek Fisher or Rafer Alston type of PG, he has shown anything to make me think will become a CP3, Deron Williams or Steve Nash. That and the real possibility that short of steal in the draft, we are adding only one good offensive player to put into the starting line up tells, me Brooks is safe, short of a superstar trade.

Which, I haven't seen a legit one presented, since the mid summer, Chris Paul or Amare Staudimre rumors.

4. abc2007

abc2007 Member

AB should thank Lowry. Without lowry's backup, AB wouldn't be able to handle the starting pg job.

5. LifeisButaDream

With yao in the lineup AB becomes a spot up shooter.do we really want to pay big money for a spot up shooter?

6. BMoney

BMoney Member

The Rockets lack shooting and players who can create their own shots. Aaron Brooks is the one person on the team that provides that. In a league that increasingly rewards speed, you don't trade the fastest player in the league who is still young and improving. I would trade Aaron Brooks only for a select few players if he were packaged with McGrady.

7. Depressio

Depressio Member

Yeah, like those two games Lowry missed? Brooks was terrible. Averages over those two:

24 PPG
    6 APG
    5.5 RPG

Terrible. Just terrible.

8. abc2007

abc2007 Member

stats lover... ;)

9. HeyDude

HeyDude Member

First Brooks is under contract for next year so no need to worry about big money yet. Second, does T. Parker turn into strictly a jump shooter with Duncan? I dont see why Brooks cant find a way to maximize his other aspects with Yao in the middle. It worked quite well in the playoffs as a matter of fact against 2 formidable opponents.

10. worzel gummidge

I'd want a PG in return...

Nash, Stephen Curry, draft rights to Rubio, or Westbrook.

It's a shame no team would trade the above players for a package including Brooks.

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Member

Exactly. And if the argument is that Tony Parker is an exception because he has all-star like skills (whereas Brooks might peak at slightly below all-star level talent), I too still don't see the Brooks as a defensive liability argument? He hasn't seemed to be a defensive liability to me this year?

Moreover, he strikes me as being very capable of filling that Derek Fisher, BJ Armstrong, Kenny Smith PG type role if surrounded by other great players.

The only possible argument I could see for trading AB would be if you got back something great in return. But given the salary cap / luxury tax implications in today's NBA, Brooks current salary, what you could potentially get back, etc., etc. it's hard to imagine a scenario where you could get back equal value. Certainly, all the proposals suggested make little to no sense.

PG is a position we could be set at, I wouldn't tinker with it.

Players (of value, ignoring bench "scrubs") to trade, imo, in order of trade preference, include:

T-Mac
    Ariza or Battier (though not both)
    Scola

I can't make up my mind on Trevor vs. Shane. I do honestly think when he is option 4 in a starting five, he could be the perfect, younger, slightly cheaper version of what Battier has been the last five years, and given Battier's age, contract and what you could get back for him, he may make more sense to trade.

Intellectually, I think Shane should go. He gets paid enough though with only 1 more year, and is talented enough to really make a difference to a team on a playoff push or a young team needing veteran presence and leadership that you should be able to get decent talent/asset in return. That said, he seems to be the leader, and an important chemistry piece, and if one really thinks Yao can come back healthy and dominant and the team can compete for a championship next year, you'd keep Shane.

Would Morey do something random, if the Rockets keep losing to the Philadelphia's of the world, like:

Shane + Cook (assuming not used in another trade)
    for
    Etan Thomas, Kyle Weaver, Thunder unprotected 1st round pick + Thunder 1st round pick from Phoenix

You would hate to lose Shane, hate to give him to a Western Conference competitor, especially if such a move means that team is more likely to make the playoffs, thus making the pick you receive worth less....BUT, such a move saves $1.66 million in "annual" salary (pro rated over the rest of the year, though helps Les reduce tax obligation, if any at that point), and gives you 3 draft picks (right now, you'd have pick #12, #14, #20) which with Morey drafting could land you solid players or be used to trade up, etc.

Just a thought.

Scola and Landry are a great 1,2 PF combination, but Landry is more than capable of starting, and Scola will be a free agent, whom you might not be able to resign. He coudl really get you some younger talent/assets in return.

12. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

:confused: AB isn't that bad defensively.. Do you know how many times people try to post him up and he still holds his ground? He did a good job on Tony Parker, Westbrook, even Deron Williams.. To name a few

Think back to all the games we have watched this season.. when have we singled out AB as loafing or missing an assignment on D? Not much.. But I guarantee you can pin point a moment when Scola, Carl, even Trevor did something terrible on D

13. worzel gummidge

One flyer I would take is trading for Fernandez to play PG. I'd want Batum included to make it a fair trade in my view.

14. Artesticles

Artesticles Member

Lowry is clearly the better PG. The fact that Adelman is starting Brooks doesn't mean he's the best. Adelman is the same guy starting Ariza, handing him all the minutes and shots he wants, while believing we don't need T-Mac.

If you watched the 76ers game, you saw Exhibit A of Lowry's value.

15. larsv8

larsv8 Member

Doubt we move either Brooks or Lowry unless its for Bosh or similar caliber. Morey loves our PG tandem.

16. BarkleyHater84

Why trade AB? He's the closest thing this team has to being "a number 1 player" and appears to be getting better day by day. Yes, he's not a "pure" PG so far, but why are people so willing to just trade this guy away?

17. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

They'll ask for more. Brooks/Landry/Ariza/Battier/14pick for #2pick/Rubio/Sessions/Gomes/Cardinal That has a better chance.

18. amaru

amaru Member

Not for anything listed there.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

So do I !

AB is a player that you build AROUND, not one you flip.

A guy who has started only 70ish games and is scoring nearly 20ppg?

Come on people, wake the heck up, you KEEP those guys, and you get better players to surround him with....AB is not Francis like in his ball hoggery, he is a more than willing passer....and is getting a lot better.

Jeez it boggles my mind sometimes, and this nonsense about how much cap room etc....come on....we have him locked into a cheap contract for 2 more years...plenty of time to see what happens.

Also, the new CBA will change the landscape a lot, don't overeact and make panic moves like the op suggested....that is not a good business model.

Trade Shane or Trevor and Tmac.....and get better players for AB to pass the ball too....and ride the AB/Lowry train off into the sunset.

I would trade Lowry WAY WAY WAY before trading AB....Lowry is very aggressive, and a good set up guy, but eventually teams will just sag off him and force him to shoot, and he is Rafer like in that capacity...

The NBA is a make or miss league, we have enough guys that miss....we need more that MAKE !

DD

20. verse

verse Member

I just wish some of the posters here would learn to trade "are" for "our". The salaries match up perfectly and both sides would benefit greatly.