1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trading Aaron Brooks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rileydog, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Rocket4Life11

Rocket4Life11 Member

AB ain't going nowheres.

2. Shaud

Shaud Member

Brooks is far from off limits but to trade him we better get a Superstar or All-Star type player in return.

Don't trade him for a guy that has good potential, but for a proven stud player.

3. LifeisButaDream

How long do you think there going to play for peanuts.one of them has to go.now who going to sign for less Brooks or Lowry?

4. Rileydog

Rileydog Member

This isn't an indictment of AB's talent. This is about how to best compose the team and use the assets we have.

Except for Iverson's 76ers, I can't think of any team that has enjoyed playoff success with a very small PG/SG as a featured weapon that eats a large part of the salary cap. Can you?

There was a thread about this a couple of weeks/months ago. When we look back in time, the best teams always featured dominant Centers and wing players. Perhaps it's because C's tend to neutralize PF's and Wing players tend to neutralize PG's, but not the other way around.

I don't have a solid explanation for this but it is clearly part of the league's history.

5. Rileydog

Rileydog Member

Doing well this season -- is that really the measuring stick? To me, that's shortsighted. The team needs to think about what will make us a contender, not what makes us a fringe playoff team.

And that's the reason I posted this thread. I'm starting to believe that AB, at the role and price he will command, is not the right or ideal way to build a contender.

And these are the fundamental decisions that Morey has to get right in order to make the right moves.

6. killtaker

killtaker Member

Wow, I guess I'm in the minority, but I agree with Rileydog: You have to sell high. I think the same goes for Landry.

I don't know what the market is like out there, but they both have potential, substance and value. You have to think one or both of them come up in every TMac trade Morey has with the otherside.

7. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

AB is still young, his defense is steadily improving, he is learning to take advantage of his speed to catch up to players and get in front of them. He has taken more charges this way as of late, and I no longer consider him a liability. Against larger, stronger guards he may have some trouble, but despite his size disadvantage bigger guards don't post him up as often as they cold, possibly because our help d from the weak side has gotten a lot better as the season progressed, which explains the increase in blocks

8. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Member

I think it's quite possible that Lowry is the only player on the current roster that will be here 4 or 5 years down the road. He has a special skillset and I don't think there are any likely trade scenarios that will come around where Morey will part with him.

Having said that, I think the obsession with the PG position is unwarranted, even with the recent perimeter defense rule changes.

With few exceptions, wings and bigs win championships. I'm more concerned with the Rockets finding their next dominant wing and big (I don't think Yao has much left in the tank).

9. Shaud

Shaud Member

I honestly don't get this sell high thing that deals with every young talented player that comes to Houston. Are we going to sell high every talented player that comes through Houston?

10. TheFreak

TheFreak Member

:confused:

[​IMG]

Also, since when is Brooks a defensive liability?

11. melvimbe

melvimbe Member

Agreed on wings over PGs, but centers over PFs? Shaq and Hakeem, yes, but the other teams since the 90s have had a PF that was better then the starting C. Granted, you could call Pau and Duncan Cs that were playing the PF position.

12. LifeisButaDream

Why is that? he was never athletic or fast so how bad could he be.

13. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

AB is growing into a very good player but I wouldn't lose sleep if he was moved. I don't believe an undersized PG who is an average passer at best is capable of taking a team deep into the playoffs. If he is a cog in the machine then fine but if he is moved to bring in a better cog for the machine that is even better.

I do know I would rather have Lowry on the court surrounded by talented offensive players than Brooks on the court surrounded by talented offensive players. Just thinking about the future.

14. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Every single one of those trade options SUCK!!!

This is a pointless thread!!

We are not gonna trade AB, If I remember right Isnt Iverson about the same height?? Dont answer that I will! YES HE IS!!

Brooks may not be a typical PG but he can play it and he can play SG in other lineups that we through in there!!

1 person likes this.
  15. LifeisButaDream

But AI is a better play maker and passer.

16. mgraye2969

mgraye2969 Member

Trading AB would be so stupid!

17. TheGreat121

TheGreat121 Member

why would u wanna change are best player right now. this thread is retarted nobody on here knows what the team needs. rockets management dont care who yal think should be traded or not. they only care about making the team better and trading brooks wont make this team better

18. TheGreat121

TheGreat121 Member

i meant trade

19. PlanetG

PlanetG Member

I don't see any positive right now from the thought of losing AB to another team. The only audacious thought I have - that I'm sure has to have been hashed out here before, over and over and over again right? - is:

1. Aaron and Kyle get a chance to start in the backcourt together for the entire 2010-2011 season....

:IT JUST MIGHT WORK:
    :pIGS FLY:
    :COWS COME HOME:
    :pOT OF GOLD ACTUALLY FOUND AT THE END OF THE RAINBOW:
    :DOGS AND CATS LIVING TOGETHER:
    :HELL FREEZES:

(Is there any inkling to try to do that all next year... vs. the hopeful reward, that they develop to become like mini- "Twin Towers" - except I guess, Lowry would be the mini-bruiser, and Aaron the mini... uh, cruiser?)

2. ??? Yao is suddenly ironclad healthy and ______________ ???

3. PROFIT! Rockets win championship, Houston rejoices.

(please kindly note that I'm a Rockets idealist and most of my input will continue to be artifacts supporting the "Rockets hope!" concept)

20. HeyDude

HeyDude Member

I think you are <b>severely </b> underrating Brooks. Guys who shoot nearly 40 % 3s while making over 200 in one season just dont come by that often. And from an up and coming PG who's only 25, in his first full season as starter? Not to mention that right now he's basically carrying a load that Yao, TMAC, and Artest shared last year. And to be honest, his defense is really not as horrific as you indicate. I think this whole 'he's too small to be effective', or 'he's a scoring PG first' notion is quite overrated. How about <i>he's just plain and simply effective </i>, and he'll be even more so when Yao gets him wide open looks next year.

Also I dislike the AI analogy as even though Iverson was / is a high volume scorer, he dominates the ball. Durvusa recently had a stat chart which showed that unlike guys like AI, and even Nash, Brooks <i>gets assisted </i>on nearly 40 % of his shots, meaning he's an excellent catch and shoot guy, and gets his shots in the flow of the offense, not one that needs to dominate the ball to be successful. Brook's game will transition perfectly with Yao next year.

On his assist #s, he's averaging 5 / game while starting with 3 incompetent scorers in Hayes, Ariza, and Battier while also sharing PG duties (Brooks moves to SG for about 10 mins while Lowry and him share minutes). Do you not think that with better scorers next year (Yao + TMAC's replacement?) his assist #s along with his overall + - ratio would also rise?

As for trading him I'd still promote it for the right price. I just think that those you suggested dont even come close. If he were to be part of a package to net us a Bosh or another top 20 talent I'd do it, but not for guys like Batum etc. At least not while he's under a friendly contract for next year as well...Maybe if next year our salary cap is such that we would lose him surely in 2012 I'd lower my value of him, but not now. I'd be extremely greedy discussing any trade that involves Brooks this year...... just my 2 cents. :cool:

1 person likes this.