1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trading 3 for 5 + 7

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Spacemoth, May 18, 2022.

?

Would you take picks 5 and 7 for #3 overall?

1. Yes

66 vote(s)
    34.6%
  2. No, let's take Banchero

125 vote(s)
    65.4%
  1. larry cook

larry cook Member

We actually made out alright considering what happened with Detroit. I wouldn't pass on Pablo. This year has three highly touted prospects above the rest. Either guy could be justified as being the number 1 pick this year. Similar scenario last year with Cade, Jalen, and Mobley. The verdict is still out on which guy will be the best but all three franchises got potential superstars. Unlike last year where we tug of war with the ideal of having Jalen or Mobley, this year we get to sit back in our lawn chairs and pick whoever is left of the three. I like moving up from 17 to grab Williams from Duke for insurance if Sengun is struggling with paint penetration. Kessler will be their at 17 as well if we're beefing up our frontcourt.

#81 larry cook, May 18, 2022
    Last edited: May 18, 2022
    roslolian and red5rocket like this.
  2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Sounds to me like you might be an advocate of trading up rather than down .....

Wonder what the price of moving to #1 would be ....

D-rock, chadyang and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  3. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

In the case of OKC they already have so many future draft assets, I’m not sure there’s anything we can do to get their pick short of giving them Jalen Green. As far as moving to #1, has it ever been done? If Orlando liked Paolo and thought he’d be there at 3, maybe if we traded them one of the future Brooklyn picks they would consider moving back.

4. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Absolutely.

First thing I thought about when we landed at three.

But I am warming up to taking bpa at three.

D-rock likes this.
  5. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

This draft has 4 tiers in the lotto

Tier 1a
    Paolo/Chet

Tier 1b
    Jabari

Tier 2
    Sharpe
    Ivey
    Duren
    Daniels

Tier 3
    Effectively everyone else in the lotto including these guaranteed picks, probably 5-10 other players who could go 10-15.
    Sochan
    Williams
    Benny
    Eason
    Griffin
    Murray

rhee likes this.
  6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You guys are obsessed with fit. BPA.

Sengun just turned 19. He might be Chuck Hayes mixed with Vlade Divac on defense.

Jumping the gun!

(Who blocks shots on the GSW???)

red5rocket likes this.
  7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I've always advocate for taking the BPA. Never sacrifice talent for fit in a draft. The draft prospects are extremely unpredictable already in terms of both how good they are and how they can fit. You want to maximize the chances of talent over chances of fit. You can always trade a talented guy who doesn't fit.

That said, if the BPA looks very obviously not a good fit, then you should consider trading down to get some extra assets.

Of the top 3 guys, the only one that can be labeled "not a good fit" would be Banchero because we really need good defender in the front line.

D-rock likes this.
  8. roslolian

roslolian Member

Didnt realize this was the minority opinion but yes, assuming Jabari (my #1 pick) is off the table I'd totally be ok getting 5 and 7 over just 3.

There's a lot of players I have my eye on and they can theoretically be better than just Banchero. If I were to compare to last year, I'd rather have Sengun and Wagner over just Mobley. Mobley is slightly superior to Wagner and Sengun individually, but since you are rounding out your roster having 2 cornerpieces is better than 1 IMO.

I mean there's also a chance Sac just takes Sharpe or Murray cuz they dont want another fast combo guard beside fox. In that case Ivey is available and I'd def take Ivey+another lotto pick over Banchero.

Imagine if the Rox take Ivey at 5, Duren at 7 and Tari Eason at 17. Or Mathurin at 5, Sochan at 7 and Tyty Washington at 17. You pretty much round out your roster 1 year after Harden leaves the team.

Selecting BPA is nice theoretically but realistically you'll never get snywhere if you just blindly take BPA all the time. Look at OKC, they have so many good players but those guys dont really fit together. Giddey, Dort, Poku, SGA their roster looks like a mess they'll have to do some trades but since teams know they are full of assets they are gonna lose value on every trade they make.

Its the same issue Rox have why you think they find it hard to trade EGO and Wood? Its cuz tesms know they have young guys and ask them to get included. If opponents know you have 3 or 4 guards with potential guess what they are gonna make garbage offers.

#88 roslolian, May 18, 2022
    Last edited: May 19, 2022
  9. nigma2000

nigma2000 Member

People were worried last year if OKC would end up taking our pick, and this year people were worried we would miss out on the big 3 and draft 5th. Yes the Rockets didn’t win the ultimate prize by grabbing the number 1 pick in either year, but at the end of the day our ultimate goal has been met in both years. Take Banchero at 3 and call it a day.

10. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

if Orlando wanted Paolo I think they'll just take Paolo at #1. let's say they trade down to 3 and selected Jabari at #1 for the Rockets, there's no guarantee OKC passed up Paolo at 2. all top 3 bigs are too close to call, only if you don't want any of the top 3 bigs and wanted to trade down for something else

rhee and Aruba77 like this.
  11. anchel

anchel Member

I would even give next year's pick (plus this year's) to get Chet / Jabari.
    To me, is that important to nail the fit with your top players. Put together Jalen, Sengun, Chet/Jabari, and you have championship upside, You don't need more top picks, you got the foundations of the rebuilding. It's done.

There are franchises who spend years and years of rebuilding, losing and picking high, yet can't find that elite core. They think they get the BPA, but then doesn't seem to be a fit with their former BPA, so they trade (after they lose a ton of games and their player loses value), go back to the draft, get another very good prospect (but not great)... they can't put togehter that elite core.

If we have a chance to nail it with the foundations, we have the assets, so I would do it with no remorse.

#91 anchel, May 19, 2022
    D-rock, Milos and cmoak1982 like this.
  12. Milos

Milos Member

For me, this whole argument comes down to how you evaluate the gap between Paulo and Keegan as prospects

Very similar athletically and positionally as combo Fs with solid but unspectacular explosion, speed and quickness

Paulo is a little bigger, much better on low post, and as a creator for others

Keegan is a better shooter from deep, and much better on every level defensively

He is a bit older, but that is somewhat mitigated by how fully developed and polished Paulo is already ... as in not much more upside at 19 vs 22

Essentially my case for Keegan is that his biggest advantages over Paulo are the most pressing needs for this young core - shooting off the ball and defense

He's just so much more valuable without the ball in his hands on both ends, something we severely lack
    All Paulo's best work is done on-ball, which seems like a redundant luxury for a young core of Green, Sengun and KPJ

When I look at how the gap between the two has so dramatically closed since preseason ... how can that not be worth another potential future starter in a guy like Mathurin, Griffin or Sharpe?

The only way you pass on that is if you think Paulo a superstar and Keegan just a role player
    I do not

MaxRider and Moe like this.
  13. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

The concern about Murray's age is even more ridiculous than the concerns about Chet's body/frame. Everyone wants a 19 year old phenom because I guess that means he has more potential / higher ceiling but:

Brandon Roy was 22 when he was drafted. Everyone should agree that if it weren't for his knees giving out Roy would have been one of the all-time greats.

Al Horford was 21 when he was drafted, after leading Florida to b2b championships. He's been more than solid over the past 14 years

Klay Thompson was 21 when he was drafted.

Damian Lillard was 22 when he was drafted.

Donovan Mitchell turned 21 a couple of months after he was drafted

Desmond Bane was 22 when he was drafted.

All of these guys have pretty much one thing in common: they played the steady-hand role for their respective teams. Some like Roy, Horford and Mitchell even became their franchise players.

MaxRider, D-rock, Milos and 1 other person like this.
  14. roslolian

roslolian Member

Lol it ain't just a small difference. Murray is at least 2 inches smaller and 3 yrs older than Banchero. 3 yrs older isnt just a bit older. 20 yrs old vs 19 old thats just a bit older. 19 yrs old vs 22 yrs old bruh.

Look at Jalen Green man see how much he improved in just 1 yr. Give him 2 more years of development think what he'll do to his rookie self.

If you are trading down from Banchero you better get high ceiling guys like Duren, Sochan, Ivey, Sharpe...even Dyson Daniels or Dieng. Hell I'll even take Leonard Miller. Murray as a 6'8(allegedly, he bailed on draft combine he could be only 6'6 without shoes) old ass pf shouldnt be on the options IMO. Dude is my candidate for the Corey Kispert award for this year as the old prospect most likely to disappoint everyone.

#94 roslolian, May 19, 2022
  15. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Having Keegan Murry, Jalen Duran for Wood, #17 would be nice. Murry is Michael Porter Jr clone or better scorer and Duran is straight out Drummond.

Porter
    Jalen
    Murry
    Segun
    Duran

I kinda like this for the future. Talk about going all out on start 5 who are all young and can grow.

rhee likes this.
  16. htownborn34

htownborn34 Member

I’d take Banchero, that said I would be open to trading your if Detroit can actually manage to get #7 for Grant. Assuming Detroit take Banchero one of Sharpe or Ivey will likely still be there at #5 and one of Murray, Griffin Jr, Duren, Mathurin, or Davis would be there at #7 and we would still have pick #17 to work with

D-rock and fattz like this.
  17. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I'm with you on that strategy generally. The key there is you have to be willing to cut your losses while your player still has potential if your high pick doesn't work out. I think that's the mistake most GMs make when they make the wrong pick - they extend and stubbornly stick by those players because admitting they were wrong will immediately validate what at that point becomes an audible call for their job from the fanbase. THAT is what extends rebuild periods.

I get your concern with Bancheros fit HOWEVER, I think in this case we take Banchero, hold him accountable to get better defensively from day one and hope for the best because I think it's possible that some of what we are seeing right now with this draft is not a weak draft but rather a draft of young players who likely missed a year or two of organized skills development during Covid when they would otherwise have been playing AAU ball and working with trainers to work on some of those fundamentals.

I actually think that's part of why Jalen Green came into the league so far behind his peers earlier in the season because the G League cancelled much of it's season during the start of the pandemic while his collegiate counterparts didn't see the same impacts to their developmental training because of college sports $$$. Skills development is going to be a bit more hit or miss right now watching these players who were really hit with more of the impacts from Covid.

One more thing - I tend to agree about Banchero being a poor defensive fit but I also think his offensive gifts mean he will always have a market....and frankly even if he ends up being a bad defender, doesn't that just mean we choose between him and Sengun and trade the other? Banchero may not be as creative a passer as Sengun but his reads are very much elite - he is a legit playmaking big similar to Sengun. If nothing else we have redundant players who do have a market somewhere because most teams can use real playmakers who makes other more limited offensive players better.

Easy and cmoak1982 like this.
  18. Milos

Milos Member

Exactly

Phase 1
    Asset Accumulation when the cupboard is totally bare to find BPA core pieces
    (2020 season - 2021 Draft)

Phase 2
    Team Building by adding complementary core piece or 2 to complete the foundation
    (22 draft - 23 draft+FA)

Phase 3
    Finishing Touches to round out rotation and facilitate full realization of core's potential
    (2023 season +)

IMO we have 3 core pieces in place with Green, Alpy & KPJ

Phase 1 complete
    Welcome to Phase 2
    Fit now counts

Stone is clearly looking to use Wood + EGo + our 2 FRPs this draft to add 2 more core rookies that enhance the 3 young starters in place

He basically admitted it was no longer BPA Mode when he said they could trade down if not thrilled with options left at their picks

How can you get BPA by trading down ..??
    You can't
    But ... you can get the player you covet for fit in your core at better value by trading down

D-rock and cmoak1982 like this.
  19. Milos

Milos Member

Corey Kispert is as 1-dimensional as Gary Matt
    3rd best player on his own team coming out last year

Keegan just led Big Ten champ as do-it-all 2way player of the year finalist and is now top-10 lock with top-5 still in the mix

He is vastly superior to Kispert in every way a player can impact the game except shooting, but Keegan still knocked down 40% from deep

D-rock likes this.
  20. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

76ers traded up from 3 to draft Fultz.

roslolian likes this.