1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trades: Playoff Implications

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by senter, Mar 15, 2012.

Tags:
  1. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

What is Hill going to do with Camby on the roster??

2. allanivan

allanivan Member

I just want to add something to that match against OKC, Lowry and Martin were out and if they come back to the lineups and perform their ability, I think we can be trouble to a lot of thems in West, we are way too deep on the bench

3. vince

vince Member

Camby is a major upgrade over Jordan Hill!!!! This isn't a future's move. This is a Kevin McHale move....

McHale was probably screaming at Morey, give me some damn players who can earn their minutes on the floor!!!!!

If the Rockets miss out on the Playoffs, that's 9 million dollars coming off the books. Sure, Flynn and Thabeet would not have been resigned, and that money would have come off the books either way. But Camby is super efficient when he plays.

He's another body who can play!!!

Playoff implication, is that the moves improve the chances of making the playoffs.

4. allanivan

allanivan Member

it shows 11 milions on the ESPN trade machine. I am confused.
    Also, doesn't Fisher have a player option next year, and how is buyout for him going to work?

5. allanivan

allanivan Member

The pick is from Dallas and it was top 20 protected

6. HiGHurNAMEis

HiGHurNAMEis Member

BOOM!

The only team I really don't want to see come playoff time is LAC. They are too athletic, too deep both backcourt & front, & really just a superior team talent wise. I might retract this statement Saturday though with Camby now anchoring our second unit which is a top five bench as far as +/-

7. HollaIFyaHEMI

HollaIFyaHEMI Member

Have you never seen a Morey draft? Our second round pick from last year was not worth a damn to you too right? SMH

8. Mashing

Mashing Member

Doesn't having another pick give us the flexibility to package with other picks and a player to perhaps move up in a loaded draft?

9. jtr

jtr Member

Nope. Certainly not. He would pack his bags at the end of the season no matter what and with the addition of Camby he would have gotten Thabeet minutes.

10. jopatmc

jopatmc Member

Dude, the best matchup we could get in the playoffs is the Clippers. They are young and inexperienced and their bigs are foul machines. And they're paper thin. They're gonna get busted out of the playoffs in the 2nd round and may get knocked out in the first.

The two teams that are going to be the absolute toughest to beat are the Lakers and Spurs. They are too experienced. Too many playoff games played by those guys and they are still very, very good. One of them is going to win the West.

However, with the Rubio injury, and Portland subsequently throwing in the towel on their season, and Denver giving up on Nene, we have a good chance to move up slightly. But I think we most likely wind up 7th and facing the Spurs in the first round. They'll get us in 5 or 6 games.

If we could luck out and get the Clippers, we would have a really good chance to upset them.

11. HiGHurNAMEis

HiGHurNAMEis Member

You have validity in you argument I don't majority of it. I really don't want to see SA or LAL as I stated in a previous post. OKC in my mind is our ideal matchup their bigs aren't overly athletic. However LAC's bigs are. I'm going off the basis of the two games they beat us the first was an atrocity the second was more even but they still edged us out.

LAC has depth especially with the Nick Young acquisition. They brought in K-Mart, & Mo Williams is playing at a high level. Yes DeAndre Jordan may be foul prone but he isn't a offensive threat but a great rebounder & defensive presence. They have K-Mart & Reggie Evans to bring in to do the same if he is in foul trouble.

As far as experience we are inexperienced as well, without a franchise pg with playoff experience running the show. LAC has exactly that. I'm not saying we don't have a chance. I just like our chances more against OKC & somewhat SA off the basis of the motivation to beat an instate rival.

12. valorita

valorita Member

Here's how the west will shape up:

Contenders:
    1) OKC - will get top seed, no changes here
    2) SA - got that "irrational confidence" guy in SJax
    3) LA - got younger and deeper with Sessions and Hill

Pretenders:
    4) Dallas - losing Chandler and Barea will be noticed in the playoffs
    5) Clippers - front court is still too young and untested despite Paul's brilliance
    6) Memphis - depending on matchups could end up winning a couple series

Just-glad-to-have-made-it:
    7) Houston - getting Camby was a solid move because as a combo with Dally, we finally have a better than average Center rotation. Every projected playoff team in the west basically made upgrades but I'm convinced that with the cloud of the trade deadline having passed, our guys will once again make their signature late season push.
    8) Denver - Inconsistent Nene is gone and McGee, despite his boneheadedness, gives you quality production at the 5 spot. Not sure about Wilson Chandler's situation and when he is coming back to the team.

Outs:
    Minn - will barely miss playoffs. adelman should be used to having to patch things on the fly due to injuries based on his experience with the rockets.

phx - valiant late season push is not enough to get in deep west. still have not traded for nash.

portland - they "blew it up" but still have pretty good pieces left over in LMA, Batum, Matthews.

13. jopatmc

jopatmc Member

That's pretty much the way I see it. There may be some flopping around on 4-6. I really think Memphis is better than Dallas and the Clippers. And Minny still might get in at 8. Denver traded away Nene. They looked very mediocre last night against OKC. Really no fight in them. I'm not for sure that they aren't going to go ahead and tank out. Adelman is running the show in Minny and they don't have a first round pick, so there is no reason for them to tank this season. I suspect they will still get in and Denver will not.

14. OremLK

OremLK Member

I don't know--next year we have Motiejunas coming over and maybe Llull. Maybe a top 10 draft pick in a strong class if the Knicks keep sucking. Lee is an RFA so he can be extended. Camby has wanted to play here for awhile so I bet he would return cheap to finish out his career, Mutombo style. Dalembert has a team option.

The only guy who will probably leave is Dragic (unrestricted FA) unless we trade Lowry and promise Dragic he can start. Otherwise, Dragic probably leaves and maybe we buy Llull over?

I see no reason next season's roster can't be just as good if not better.

Lowry/Llull
    Martin/Lee/Llull
    Parsons/Budinger/Morris
    Scola/Patterson/Motiejunas
    Dalembert/Camby/Motiejunas

That's a lot of extra trade assets too. If we could get a guy, in the offseason, who can create his own shot and be an all star closer type to upgrade one of those positions, I think we could maybe contend for a championship. Still need a star player to go from playoff team to championship contender though!

15. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

I like your analysis, but I wouldn't count out the Jazz yet (damn, did I just said that?) ... their frontcourt is very deep and playing very well.

16. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Eek!!! We can't have someone as gifted as Motiejunas as the third big man in the depth chart. Specially with our need for a star, and D-Mo having the tools to be one. We need to find a taker for Luis Scola THIS off season, along with K-mart.

I agree we need to push for a star player (hopefully this off-season). Personally I would use our cap space to make a strong push for Eric Gordon, when he's healthy the guy is perennial all-star level player and one of the best young SG in the league.

17. dartherus

dartherus Member

I sincerely prefer Dragic as a PG, perhaps Lowry is better now, but Dragic have more Basketball IQ and potential IMO.

FO could take advantage of Lowry high trade value and to get something worthy in return, keeping Dragic and bringing Llull.

18. xiki

xiki Member

Minny for the overrated and over-the-Hill (sic) unionist.

19. jscmedia

jscmedia Member

This trade helps in our biggest minus column, rebounds. Both know how to grab a ball and frankly, Fisher when in, will not make the stupid boneheaded play we've seen off the bench by the traded players and a few others who keep it warm. He DOES know winning time.

20. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

I'm fascinated by Morey's moves to incrementally make this team better. I recall the days of CD in the GM chair and always wonder how CD would try to make this team better. He definitely had some red marks on his report card: Cato, M. Taylor, but he got us Kenny and MadMax and Horry and Cassell and OT, right? I think that we are positioning ourselves perfectly, though at a slow pace, to catch up to our championship pedigree again (93/94 - no way we get a Dream/Glide mix again for a LONG time), we just need that once pieces that puts us in the upper echelon (franchise-type "Hakeem Olajuwon")

Starters:
    Kenny = Lowry
    Maxwell > Martin
    Horry (young) = Parsons
    OT (def & reb) = Scola (off)
    Hakeem = ???

Bench:
    Cassell = Dragic
    Mario = Lee
    Bullard < Budinger
    Herrera > Patterson
    Brooks < Fisher