1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade with Utah for a Small Forward

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by paxil, Jul 30, 2003.

1. paxil

paxil Contributing Member

Jazz can't get anything this year despite the huge salary room that they have. Their roster is very green for the year and they are desperate to find someone to fill the power forward hole. However, the two best player they have right now are both small forwards, namely Andre Kelinko and Matt Harping. Both of them showed reduced efficiency when they played out of position. However, they are exactly what Rockets need. Both of them are hustle player, constantly moving, good rebounders for their position. Matt Harping is more approved shoot than AK, but AK has even greater potential and an excellent shot blocker (He blocks more shots than Yao in less minutes). I wonder whether Jazz will like this trade: either M Taylor for Harping or Eddie for AK. Mo makes more money than Harping, so Rockets may have to take the contract of Amechi, who had a stranded relationship with Jazz coaches and management. Rockets might also be able to unload Moochie since Jazz needs a veteran point guard as well. Any thoughts?

2. u851662

u851662 Contributing Member

With all do respect, Why would they do that? If I am the JAZZ I would say TRADE REJECTED! It would be in their best interest to keep both of the players you just named instead of trading for one of ours (MoT/EG). The Jazz just need to be patient, they arent going anywhere this season so if they cant land someone they just need to hold out until next. Quick fixes are not a good way to manage a team.

3. paxil

Two reasons, putting both Matt Harping and AK on the court at the same times does not provide positive results. You need a few people running around the court but not everyone out of the position at all the time. Second, you don't know how bad the relationship between John Amechi and the coach. Amechi will not even allow Jazz to buy out his contract. Third, who is going to play the power forward for Jazz? Jason Colins? Remember, Jazz strategic is always focus on an offensive PF. You don't expect Jerry Solan to change his play book with a year.

MH or AK on the Rockets roster will make us a very lethal team.

4. MLC1MGC2ALC3

MLC1MGC2ALC3 Member

Houston trades: SG Cuttino Mobley (17.5 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 2.9 apg in 41.7 minutes)
    PG Moochie Norris (4.3 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 2.4 apg in 16.8 minutes)
    C Kelvin Cato (4.5 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 0.3 apg in 17.1 minutes)
    Houston receives: SG DeShawn Stevenson (4.6 ppg, 1.4 rpg, 0.7 apg in 12.5 minutes)
    SF Matt Harpring (17.6 ppg, 6.6 rpg, 1.7 apg in 32.8 minutes)
    C Greg Ostertag (5.4 ppg, 6.2 rpg, 0.7 apg in 23.8 minutes)
    Change in team outlook: +1.3 ppg, +2.2 rpg, and -2.5 apg.

Utah trades: SG DeShawn Stevenson (4.6 ppg, 1.4 rpg, 0.7 apg in 12.5 minutes)
    SF Matt Harpring (17.6 ppg, 6.6 rpg, 1.7 apg in 32.8 minutes)
    C Greg Ostertag (5.4 ppg, 6.2 rpg, 0.7 apg in 23.8 minutes)
    Utah receives: SG Cuttino Mobley (17.5 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 2.9 apg in 73 games)
    PG Moochie Norris (4.3 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 2.4 apg in 82 games)
    C Kelvin Cato (4.5 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 0.3 apg in 73 games)
    Change in team outlook: -1.3 ppg, -2.2 rpg, and +2.5 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

5. paxil

I like that trade too. OT is not a bad back up center. DS is not a true point guard though he played the position sporadically. Rockets need to sign Mark Jackson or Kenny Anderson to fill the hole.

6. HonestAbe

HonestAbe Contributing Member

Stein or Ford 's(can't remember which one) chat...they mentioned that Utah would be interested in players in the last year of their contract...even mentioning people like "Glen Rice".

I would love to work something out to get Harpring or AK. I would prefer AK.

7. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

Harpring's value is at it's highest and the Jazz know that. The only reason he scored 18 points a game is because Stockton knew how to get him wide open 18 footers and backdoor layups. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see the Jazz very open to offers. AK is a different story seeing as how he is better than everyone on the Rockets' roster except for Steve and Yao.

8. paxil

Don't forget Jazz wants to unload Amechi. We can exchange some bad contracts with bad contracts could be a win win situation.

Jazz coaches had some racial and ethinical comments on Amechie during a practice. John demanded an appology but was never offered. John has a good season in Orlando but failed in Jazz's dog house.

9. SLA

SLA Member

No...

The Utah Jazz are way under the salary cap...they can take in more salary than they trade out...I think.

And you're spelling the British guy's name wrong. I don't want him either.

Harpring is a decent player who excelled with John Stockton setting him up. He is a good shooter and is like a football player. He is quite strong looking...He is a good midrange shooter and can get lucky from behind the arc...I wouldn't trade Mobley for him though. ACTUALLY...since Harpring can play small forward...this could be good...but they have to give us something more in return or they have to take one of our bad contracts like Moochie's. :)

#9 SLA, Jul 30, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2003
  10. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I would love to have Matt Harpring. He is Wallyworld with out the attitude.

Nothing better than having someone that you know will consistently hit the open 15 to 20 foot jumper. He is someone the defense can not cheat off of. With Harp on the team Yao Mings assist numbers would triple. With Harp and Pike on the team Yao's assists numbers might go out of the roof.

I just don't think the Jazz even consider something like that with out someone like Cat to add to their roster.

Would anyone trade Cat for Matt? I would have to think long and hard about it. Both players are about the same age and both are leathel scorers but Harp scores in a much different way than Cat.

Does Steve, Pike, Matt, EG (or MoT) and Yao apeal to anyone? I think that Offense would be leathel.

11. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I don't know how I ever lived without RealGM:rolleyes:

12. codell

codell Contributing Member

This is how rumors get started. I would be shocked if the Jazz would even give Taylor a 2nd thought. When was the last time a team was so desperate than they gave up one of their best players (a starter) for a backup making starters money on another team??

13. paxil

SLC,
    Taking John "the British Doctor" Amaechi's contract is just a bait for Utah. Utah wants to get rid of Amaechi even scarficing some of other valued player. Matt is more consistent player than Talyor but Matt is not a power forward. People did not realize that he is good or becoming a very good three point shooter. You can't categorize a 42% three pointer shooter into the lucky category.

If AK join Rockets, Huston will lead the league in blocks. Did you know that not only law suit but also AK and shut out Kobe?

Sorry I spelled Amaechi's name wrong, very un-British. :(

14. SLA

SLA Member

Mo Taylor is not enough to get Matt Harpring. Yes...I understand taking Amaechi would be bait...We should also give them Glen Rice and a 1st rounder for the exception...Anyways...They aren't going to give up Harpring for all of our crap. it's too complicated and it's not going to happen. :) AK is now their future...they aren't going to give him up either.

15. paxil

I know it is going to be complicated and multi-player. All Rockets players are touchable with the exception of Yao and Steve. Utah will probably do something this summer and I wish Rocket will be involved. Keith O'Connor is under a lot of heat right now.

16. Sane

Sane Member

Mobley for Harpring? I'd do it if they threw in Deshawn Stevenson.

Stevenson hasn't done much, but he's shown flashes, and has been learning to play the PG position. He's got great size and athleticism, and always tears up the summer league. He could be a good gamble, if not, we let him walk, he's in his final year.

Yao/Cato
    MoT/Griffin
    Harpring/Rice/Boki
    Pike/Stevenson/Harpring
    Steve/Moochie

17. jshabang

jshabang Member

You know what.....??????????????

This is actually a good idea.....................

Best thread I've seen in Days:D

Utah is getting dissed left and right by free agents, they are in jeopardy of not even making the minimum salary, and the are desperate right now.................sounds like a good formula to rape somebody to me.........

I just hope our real GM (CD) has half of the skills we have on this board;)

Hell, I voting bbs'ers as the next GM when CD's contracts up!!!!!!:D

18. dumbholly

dumbholly Member

does any1 know what the penalty is for not reaching for not reaching the minimum salary

19. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

being the laughinstock of the rest of the world.

20. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

I was just talkin 2 my friend and this was the 1st i heard about this but he said about a week ago on sportscenter they said AK47 may be headed our way