1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade winds

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by CAKoudelka, Jan 14, 2005.

1. CAKoudelka

CAKoudelka Contributing Member

Thought I would pass this along, I will preface it by saying, I heard this on AM radio, 1300 The Zone in Austin, TX.

Guy came on this afternoon claiming that the Astros are looking to trade Burke and Backe for Ben Sheets. Take it for what its worth, but I think Sheets would look really nice in this lineup.

Anyone else heard anything on this ? Old news ?

2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

That would be a remarkable trade for the Astros, although Sheets has only really had one good year.

3. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

The Brewers would have to be absolutely crazy. Sheets is a stud.

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I don't see it happening. The Brewers were just sold to someone who I think is interested in making them into a competitive club. Their payroll this year on opening day will be $13 million higher than last year.

5. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

I think Sheets is in the last year of his deal.

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yeah, I think you're right. However, the owner could still make a decision to try and resign him if he's serious about helping the Brewers win.

7. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

I'll add..... that if the Astros were able to lock up Sheets beyond this year the deal should be done without blinking an eye. But aside from that, I think this possiblity was merely small talk.

8. lalala902102001

Sheet has always had great stuff and he's still very young. He woul dbe an awesome addition to the 'Stros.

9. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

The Astros will always have problems signing big name pitchers as long as stingy Drayton refuses to go over a 3-year contract.

We can't expect Sheets to think hometown discount, like Pettitte and Clemens did. That said, Sheets played college ball in Louisiana, so we may be the closest team.

10. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

has anybody heard of the Redding for Cruz Jr deal?

11. meh

meh Contributing Member

Sheets has been in the big leagues for 4 seasons. Meaning 2 more arbitration years left. After last season, his arbitration figure should be around $6-9 mil or so. Depending on how much his lack of winning figures into the equation. The next year might be worth upwards of $10 mil, if he has another awesome year. Or a club could try to buy out both years with some sort of guaranteed multi-year deal.

Sheets has some positives and negatives.

Positives

1. Only 26 when season starts.
    2. Would've been a Cy Young candidate had he actually had run support, an amazing ERA and great peripheral numbers like high Ks and low BBs.
    3. Guaranteed to be here for 2 years at least.
    4. Pretty much no injury history.

Negatives

1. Huge usage in his big league years. In his past 4 years, from ages 22-25, his innings have been: 151, 216, 220, and 237. Of course, one could say he's durable. But it's certainly could also mean a tired arm sooner in his career.
    2. One great year. It's not like Sheets was bad before. His ERA had been consistently league average in his first 3 years. Which is pretty good for such a young guy. But certainly not the dominating prescene last year.
    3. What in the world would it take to get him? Personally, I can't see Backe and Burke been good enough. If so, I'd pull the trigger ina heartbeat if I were Pupura. But if we have to add in some more pieces, I'm not so sure.

12. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I don't know about Redding, but the Astros trading for Cruz Jr has definately been brought up. Here's an article from today's Chronicle...

13. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Brewers would be crazy to trade Sheets to a team in their division. But as an Astro fan I would love it. Burke and Backe for Sheets and Ricky Weeks :D

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Holy crap would that be nice. Get a decent OF and give up Chris Holt? I hope that is remotely true.

15. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

If we could lock up Sheets long term, I'd do it

16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Seriously, get over it. It was a $105 million contract. Ain't too much stingy about that. The guy didn't want to play in Houston.

17. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I heard it today on the radio, I don't know if it was Charlie on 790 or Matt and that other guy on 610.

18. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think he is referring more to when Randy Johnson left. Johnson wanted a 4 year guaranteed contract, the Astros would only offer 3 years because that is Astros policy (a policy created after the Doug Drabek and Greg Swindell disasters, I believe). Personally, I don't like it. Pitchers seem to be at a much higher injury risk, but for big name guys, you just about have to go beyond 3 years to keep them. I hope that doesn't become an issue when Roy needs to be extended.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Who is "the other guy" on 610 that's been on this week? His voice sounds familiar, but I can't place it and its been driving me nuts.

20. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Are you talking about during the afternoons or in the evening?

The afternoon is Dave halbersan or whatever. He has been discussed in the hangout.

People seem to like him, I think he is okay though.

The evening guy, I have no clue who he is.