1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade Value of Rockets young core ?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SamFisher, Jun 16, 2023.

1. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I think Sengun could get you 3-5 in this year’s draft, unless Scoot falls. I know it’s just fans, but if you go look at Fanspo trade posts for Rockets, Sengun, Green, and Jabari are in most of them. It’s a shame we have such a group of emotional guys that don’t believe in potential. Other fan bases are much more realistic about our guys than our own fans. I’ve posted over and over that Jabari was better than Paolo in all but 2 stats (assists, pts) at a much higher usage rate and with a decent coach.

In the off-season what were the fans talking about in regards to Jalen improving? Strength and finishing in the paint. He improved dramatically and was getting to the free throw line in Hardenesque type frequency. Jabari hit 38% from 3 the last 20 games and was unstoppable in 12-15 foot jumpers. Sengun was no. 1 in post efficiency in the entire league and will be running our half-court offense with the coaching change.

Every year the draft’s crop is pumped up by the media and FO’s run pretty scared of abandoning their picks for unproven young players, in case they miss out on the latest phenom.

2. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

It's already well know that op is negative on who we drafted, using Simmons as a meat shield to push the notion that the league has similar thoughts with op is just laughable.

anthony59237 likes this.
  3. TimDuncanDonaut

It's ok to view your own team one way, but also humble enough (instead of getting mad) at how everyone else view your team.

I think the thread highlights the point that league perception matters. It affects their trade value, how they're perceived. If the league don't think highly of your assets (even if unfairly appraised), then other GMs won't give you good pieces for them and Stone would have a hard time making deals.

This is one of the biggest disadvantages from the bottoming out.

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

https://nateduncannba.com/

These guys are probably the most jianced NBA podcasters there are. I've listened to them before and it's not like they aren't hard on the Rockets. They have said some really negative stuff about the Rockets. Called our backcourt "dumb players". Heavily critical of their playstyle. But you can tell they actually watch all the bad teams as they can talk about the way we play in detail.thst only someone who watches games regularly do. They aren't hot take artists. They sincerely follow this sport extremely closely.

They are far more sincere analysts than guys like Bill Simmons.

In the most recent podcast of theirs, one of the hosts asked if the Rockets should consider a 4rh pick and Green for the number 2 pick overall which would be Scoot and the answer was immediate and a definitive "No" saying that's too much. It was also very definitive the way he said it and that's coming from a guy I've heard say some really negative things about Green.

So in reality Green right now holds the value of someone around a top 2-3 pick in a high end draft of top heavy talent.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If that's true, and there really is a sucker that would give up a 2-3 pick for Jalen, we need to jump on that now, that's better than ANYONE could think his value will ever be.

A Scoot Henderson-KPJ backcourt is infinitely better than a KPJ-Jalen Green backcourt.

6. TimDuncanDonaut

On the Zion thing he has lot of negatives, like availability, but it would be malpractice GMing to not at least consider it if he can be had at a good price. Zion's contract (incentives) aside, is still decent low 30m range.

Sometimes it's less about if he's good for your team, but having actual assets that other teams want and can later flip.

Say next year Jalen Brown has a minor fallout with Celtics, if I'm Brad and Rockets come to me with nets picks, Green/Jabari/Sengun, I'd probably politely hang up and call other teams. But if Rockets come with Zion, then a deal could be had.

It's less about what you (might personally) believe Zion can or can't do, more about League's interests and appraisal. If Brad loses out on keeping Brown, but sells to his base he got a Zion, pitchforks would be fewer.

--- earlier in the thread people talked about Derrick White being high on the list but Malcom wasn't. This isn't just a Bill Simmons take, other Boston media are on the same wave length after playoffs, because of Malcolm's contract, the cap and his recent injury. Again it's less about agreeing with their takes than knowing the pulse of your potential trade partners, who they're high on and who's fallen out of favor.

--------------------
    By having (and getting) things that other teams want, then you're at least in the conversation. Hence the thread title. If your young core value is low but you want to do things like move up the draft or get a Brown in the future; like chess, have to plan and make moves ahead.

#46 TimDuncanDonaut, Jun 17, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2023
    SamFisher likes this.
  7. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

We already know that you are one the Jalen haters. I will trust the Rockets to determine Jalen’s worth, but no way I trade him this early, even for Scoot who did not exactly tear up the g-league. I do want him, however, because I think a Scoot/Jalen backcourt will evolve into one of the best in the league.

anthony59237 likes this.
  8. marinara

marinara Member

Can anyone pick out flaws in players without being haters? Genuine question.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not so much a "hater" as a "realist".

A SG that can't shoot and is an abomination defensively isn't that valuable.....and if there's someone dumb enough to think he is, we should jump on that.

A PG type that can't shoot that might be a competent defender is infinitely better than a SG that can't shoot and is a laugh riot defensively.

10. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

11. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Such Rubbish !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Y No chnace that Sengun would get us any better that 18th place !!! Y

12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

You never take into account that he is twenty years old and has been nuked by the most incompetent coach in NBA history. I don’t like the whole hater lexicon, but sometimes negative nellies like you and Sam fisher deserve it. When you become a broken record about young players that haven’t been coached competently, people are going to doubt your sincerity as a Rocket fan or a “realist” and just consider you a troll.

Believe It! likes this.
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I do take into account the excuses his apologists make for him not being able to hit wide open shots. I weigh them for what they are worth and move on.

It's not being a "hater" to ignore the excuses...but I get that the religious zealots will react a certain way.

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

If the Rockets offered Jalen Green straight up for #2 and you had to bet your mortgage payment on it, does Charlotte say yes or no?

15. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Hope you're wrong?

Yeah right.

Hating on the whole team as always.

Great fan you are.

anthony59237 likes this.
  16. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I'm not a zeolot, just don't think he is mature enough physically or mentally to be judged so harshly. I also think the whole mindset of the organization did a dis-service to all our young players and they had an absolutely horrible coach. Giving up on a guy with his physical talents at so young an age is an emotional take not a rational one.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  17. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

4 and jalen green for 2 is too much

just jalen green for #2 is close imo , but not quite enough on the rockets side .

green was taken 2 , 2 years ago . He’s not exactly gained value imo . He’s prolly slid a little bit . He’s prolly worth a top 6-8 pick . Idk where the value tops out . Charlotte might like his fit. He’s bigger than scoot and had a bit better g league season , but they play different positions . Not quite apples to apples .

green and 20 for 2 is prolly fair , but I wouldn’t do it if I was the rockets.

moving for 2 maybe I’d say 4 and taking on hayward as a starting point . Maybe you add a nets pick or something . If you really wanna move up .

OremLK and SamFisher like this.
  18. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Great post!

19. OremLK

OremLK Member

If I was really confident Miller would be available at #4 I would do Jalen + #20 for #2 to get Scoot. And I say this as somebody who likes Amen a bit better than Miller. Just a terrible fit with Scoot + Amen (or Scoot + Whitmore for that matter).

I don't have much confidence Miller will get past Portland though. Maybe a 40% chance.

20. marinara

marinara Member

his worth a top 10 pick, 2-3 is pretty crazy tho.
    his given his opinion on their games, his said his hoped his wrong.

are we supposed to act like some of these players are gonna be come GOATs?

Seriously why can’t someone give their opinion on a player without being biased? Do you realise how “ delusional “ you sound