1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade "thoughts" from ESPN's Chris Broussard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by davidkconover, May 30, 2012.

1. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Thank you for your answer. The one liners were getting to me. I could go through and answer each of those questions at length Madmax, but you probably know all of those counter arguments too.

So Gasol/Josh Smith/Parsons/Martin/Dragic. Bench of Camby/Motiejunas/Bud/Lee and filler. We could get there without to much trouble. Is there a better feasible roster out there?

2. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

So I did neither. Are you surprised?

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

shocked

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/a1Y73sPHKxw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

LOL. Nice.

5. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=6877260&postcount=81

6. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

7. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I would cry if this trade happened. I don't even want a 30+ Gasol. I would trade Scola and Budinger for him - but I don't think he's worth Lowry straight up at this point. You can say I over-value Lowry but at his age, with his production on his contract, I think he's more valuable than an over-the-hill Gasol.

8. MadMax

Lowry's contract is soooo favorable....

if Goran wants $10 million/year, I'm not sure you can do that given the alternative in Lowry. IN that case, you make peace with Lowry and move on. If Goran is a better player than Lowry, the margin isn't great enough to go out and overpay Goran.

Until that issue is resolved with Goran...I don't see how you can trade Lowry.

9. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

I agree with this. One thing that Morey has consistently been doing is to avoid overpaying a player. If we traded Lowry before getting Goran, then we really have to pay $10 M/year for Goran if he is asking or we do not have a good PG anymore.

10. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Yep. This is the reason that NBA GM's make the big bucks. I personally would not want their job. I would just sorta melt under that kind of pressure.

11. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I agree with this for the most part.

However, one scenario I could envision where the Rockets might be willing to take the risk of trading Lowry without yet having Dragic locked up is if they traded with someone like Toronto for the #8 pick (either moving Lowry to Toronto or packaging #14 and #16 and instead moving Lowry in a separate trade) . . . if they were going to select Damian Lillard with that #8 pick.

They might view Lillard as a potential star PG and good enough to risk trading Lowry for. If they re-sign Dragic, great. They'll have two very good PGs again, with Lillard coming off the bench and both having enough size to play together for stretches. If Goran walks as a free agent, then you still have Lillard (who you could play heavy minutes) and can find a veteran free agent to back him up.

Just a thought. But, yeah, I'm mostly concerned like you about trading Lowry, watching Goran get stupid money from a team like Portland, and then being left with no starting PG.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I think you pay Goran the market price, as he has a much higher ceiling than Lowry and actually wants to play for McHale.

DD

1 person likes this.
  13. MadMax

I'm also concerned, as I'm sure you are, with the fact I recently bought my son a Kyle Lowry jersey and I was hoping we'd have more than just a few months before it became irrelevant.

;)

14. MadMax

I think Lowry would be fine being here if he knew he were going to be the starter. They can iron out their problems, otherwise.

I'm not necessarily convinced Goran has a higher ceiling...and even if he does, I don't think the difference is dramatic enough to justify paying him lots more than you're obligated to pay Lowry.

Also...the truth is...I really like Kyle Lowry and I know you really don't :)

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

All of that is true, I think players like Kyle get exposed in the playoffs. To me, he is a hustle player, a guy who gets a lot of his effectiveness by simply out hustling others.

But in the playoffs when more talented athletes also hustle, he declines rapidly.

DD

16. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

The sad part is I don't see how this makes us a better team. We would not necessarily be any better than we are this year.

17. MadMax

these aren't the droids you're looking for

18. Petey-N-Htown

Petey-N-Htown Member

Agree.

19. Petey-N-Htown

Petey-N-Htown Member

I'd do the deal for Gasol.

20. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I think that most posters on CF have come to realize that Dragic is the best alternative moving forward. Unfortunately he is not a sure thing. In my mind if there is no Dragic then Lowry is the next best option. Short of a miracle from on high like signing DWill.

With the new CBA in force, it may be really difficult to actually forecast what the market price for players like Dragic will be. Next summer we will have a better understanding.