1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade Terrence while Jones is high?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Coming into the season, Omer Asik was the team's most valuable trade chip. The 2nd year PFs didn't carry much value if they are not on the floor and looking at least somewhat impressive-- just a matter of how the NBA's market for prospects work.

Now, while Asik most likely continues to have value as a top defensive center, Jones' capable play as a good rebounder/shot-blocker with some perimeter playmaking skills arguably makes him a similarly valuable piece or even a more valuable piece, especially for a team looking more at the future than the present. Jones is cheap, young and looking like he has room to improve and maybe be special.

If the team wants to add a third elite player or at least a nearly elite player, could Jones be the key? How valuable do you think Jones is? Under what kind of scenario would you trade Jones?

2. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

He's going to have to keep this up for at least a month for it to be statistically significant. He's probably not even on the scouting report yet.

3. JBar

JBar Rookie

I don't think he will be able to establish enough of a track record for other teams to covet him. Still, he could be a secondary piece of a trade.

4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Oh, to December 15th?

5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

You might want to re-think that title.

Someone post a picture of some doobage.

6. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Perhaps morey could grab a Marcus Morris type deal for a 2nd rounder :p

7. Bill Worrell

Bill Worrell Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

:p Perfect timing then!

9. bongman

bongman Member

Morey needs to carry a blood tester all the time so he can test TJ's THC content.

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

First the homeless guy stomping and now drugs??!!! I give up!:mad:

11. JBar

JBar Rookie

I take it you have some experience in this area, Bongman?

12. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Before now I thought he was hot garbage.

He looks good out there and I too wonder how long before he comes down or is this really him?

Right now he is a huge x factor. You really have no idea what his ceiling is since he has seemingly maybe been playing out of his ass lately.

As for value I don't think you can get much for him still. So he's a hold for now. But including him now in any package the opposing GM has to consider that a good thing. That 'value' wasn't really there even 2 weeks ago.

Wonder what his value is to other GMs right now? His upside is looking pretty high right now. There might be the odd GM that is really high on him that we can get to bite. Tough call for morey since he could really be something.

13. bongman

bongman Member

pleading the fifth :p

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He has to string together at least 30-40 good games.... to evaluate

15. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Asset! A very nice young cheap asset, but an asset none the less! I would trade him this second for those elite players that we keep regurgitating in the trade thread, especially KLove!

16. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

interesting scenario but it would depending on a few factors as well:

Jones alone wouldn't net that third "star" based on contract numbers alone - you would have to package either Asik or Lin in the deal to realistically get someone back.

Now lets say if its Asik + Jones -- you would need to get back a star PF back because the hole left by Jones and Asik would be too large. What star PF is out there thats available that would be worth losing the two of them?

Also how confident is the staff with the development of Motiejunas? He has played well the last two games but his strength is still horrible. Defensively he gets pushed around way too much and as evidenced by the Denver game once Howard and Jones were out and it was Motiejunas in there - even with his near 7 foot frame a layup line was happening.

I think an even bigger thing to consider is chemistry - this rockets team over the last 5 years had so much roster turnover - its no wonder why turnovers have always been a problem.

Asik more than likely will be traded but the team so far has managed at least these last 3 games without him in there - but they havent really played tough teams in the process - losing Jones as well --again is worth it depending on the player returning -- but for a Ryan Anderson? Milsap? No way (at least in my book)

Jones though has shown a lot of promise this last week - I would personally like to see if he can continue it on the road and against tougher teams - if he does and the team continues to play well - it probably will be better to hold onto him - his value will only go up the more consistency his shows.

17. bongman

bongman Member

I feel that sometimes we have a tendency the prejudge our players and base our opinions on what we only see on the court and undervalue what player X does off the court. My view of TJ is neither high or low but more of "lets wait and see". I saw him becoming better due to his history:

- Accepted a lesser role in Kentucky (team player)
    - Volunteered to be sent to D-League (eagerness to improve)
    - Came back from off season stronger and heavier (motivated)

Besides those mature mental aspects (even though he is only 21 yrs old), he has shown us glimpses of his skill sets which can translate well in the NBA level. He was just inconsistent but what can we expect from somebody who doesn't have a lot of NBA experience. I am very excited for him and hoping for more improvement.

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Kick...him out

Of our home...team

Not un...less we get a lotto pick

19. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Keep the franchise player

20. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

D. Lesser Howard