1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade Terrence Jones ASAP

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Beardaholic13, May 19, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

We'd be better off just keeping Jones and hoping he finally progresses as a player. Bass can't shoot the 3 and he can't rebound the ball.

2. Nook

Nook Member

No we wouldn't.

Bass is healthy, far more consistent, a better defender and a very good middle range shooter.

I can live with Brandon Bass if I get a tangible upgrade at the PG position as a result of dealing Jones.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's highly inefficient with his 3's and his 2's and he's fairly terrible at rebounding. I mean, he wouldn't be the worst backup PF in the world, but he'd be nothing to get excited about.

4. OpenLayup-Why3?

Key thing is that Jones is replaceable. Easily. There's a ton of PFs like him in the NBA. I'm not saying he's bad, but he's far from unique talent. Definitely not untouchable.

5. Sanity2disChaos

Jones is not better than Smith and they play a similar style of basketball.....

He will never be as good as Smith.

6. malakas

malakas Member

The more he is kept the less his trading value. His rookie contract is about to end in 12 months.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sure, but does he actually have trade value now? He's solidly 3rd on the depth chart and teams have to know that and he only has 1 year left on his contract. Is one year of Jones worth anything at all around the league?

8. Beardaholic13

Beardaholic13 Member

He is BAD there is no way around it....he is a player dependent on how good the players around him are but posters who dont understand the game of basketball fully cant realize this...He does nothing at an elite level, and he does alot of things at a level of ****.

Posters who back jones just give stats, obviously stats NEVER tell the whole story but they stay behind them without even saying what hes good at, because simply he isnt above average at anything, and hes mostly **** on everything PF should be.

Does this mean i hate him like many here are trying to portray this thread to be?? NO
    Does this mean i pick on young player coming of an injury? NO

Passing= Bad
    Shooting=VERY BAD
    Rebounding=Bad
    Defense=VERY BAD
    Finishing=OK to Bad
    Basketball IQ= VERY BAD
    Truth is in the pudding , put your freakin feelings aside and whatever grudges you hold on basketballholic just cuz you wanna get one over him ffs...This is a basketball forum and he to make our basketball team better he should be traded NOW because his greatest value is his contract, so take advantage of it and end this misery

1 person likes this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

I wouldn't get "excited" about Brandon Bass either, he isn't inspiring but he is very solid and will be able to defend most power forwards and not hurt you.

If the Rockets are not going to get someone like Kevin Love or Aldridge, then I want a consistent and reliable PF. Bass is consistently healthy and capable.

I don't agree on Bass being inefficient, he shoots 50% from the field and is a very good middle range shooter.

He doesn't hit threes, but if he did, he wouldn't be available.

Yes, I think Jones still has trade value and if the Rockets were in a rebuilding mode I would want to keep him, but the Rockets are in a situation where they need to win now.

It is the same reason I would include DMO in a deal for a legitimate upgrade at the point guard position, same with the #18 pick and other similar assets.

If the Rockets can get Lowry or Lawson (PG) and Bass (PF) and some how keep DMO and resign Beverley, you will have exceptional depth and a very good rotation at the two positions of weakness this season.

10. malakas

malakas Member

Yes.
    I keep saying he has but noone listens. Dont take this the wrong way..but I think this forum is bipolar. From the lowest lows to the highest highs. Jones worth at most a late second to Capella worth a top10 pick. Crazy.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Again, Bass is a solid-ish bench PF, but he hits his mid-range shot at like 43% which means he doesn't efficiently space the floor and he's pretty awful at rebounding.

Bass isn't an upgrade over Smith and would probably cost more.

12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

There are a bunch of PF's at his size, talent level, etc. and you are right... Jones is NOT untouchable.

However replaceable??... that's where alot of people are probably wrong about Jones.

Getting a guy who essentially can give you that 4th - 7th rotation player at the big spot with his versatility.... they don't come around on rookie deals very often. Derrick Williams, a player probably worse than Jones, made nearly 4 million dollars (basically an MLE salary) more than Jones this year.

The Rockets have a benefit of keeping him around in case of injuries or in case Smith moves on elsewhere, or turns into Detroit Josh Smith & the Rockets need to move him/cut him.

So if Jones is really that replaceable, tell me who is going to give the Rockets that type of versatility & pretty much guaranteed production at the 4/5 at 2 million or less a year next year?

But yes.... of course if he's the centerpiece to a great trade, or even if you can get a good 1st rounder for him, of course.... you do the damn trade, but the idea that he's easily replaceable for another likewise player on a short term rookie salary is preposterous.

The Rockets, as a contending team, could easily have an injury next year that forces them to GIVE UP a first round pick in order to pick up someone like Jones if they DO NOT have that type of depth with their bigs. Just keep that in mind.

13. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Just wanted to stop by and tell you guys Terrence Jones is 23.... and under contract for next two years with DMO. I don't think we are giving him up unless it's for a vastly better player.

14. verysimplejason

Kaminsky? Trade up?

15. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Giving Jones credit - he did go up against Blake Griffin who was the best player in the playoffs this year as well as Draymond Green who was by far the best defensive player in the playoffs this year. So have your cake but don't eat it when talking about Jones' performance.

16. OpenLayup-Why3?

No. They will be entering their final year this fall.

17. OpenLayup-Why3?

I don't get what you're saying? Yes, he did go up against them and was pushed out of starting lineup in second playoffs in a row, because he can't go against elite PFs. He tried, he failed. Where's the credit?

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

This is key.

Rockets will likely lose him for nothing if not traded. At this point, I'd be fine trading him for a DM style protected pick. One of those 5-20 type things.

Would rather get more, but if you can clear some cap space, get an asset back that might be useful in another trade, it's probably a win-win.

That isn't to say you don't need a TJones or better character on the team, just that that guy being TJones himself isn't important, and given the contract situation, now's the time to get return.

19. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

And Jones was getting killed so badly by Griffin that he lost his starting spot to Smith. And BTW, it's not like Smith was lighting up the Clippers up until that point. He was horrible in Games 1-4.

As for the Warriors series, Jones actually didn't go up against Green all the time since he was a reserve. Sometimes he was playing their bench guys like Ezeli or Iggy(when the Warriors went small). Yet he still struggled to do anything.

20. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

TJ is a good young player performing as expected against elite PF's in playoff. We don't come back game 5 in Clipper's series without him. He's got good potential, and I hope Morey can extend him on cheaper long term contract.