1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade targets for rebuild

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sydmill, Feb 10, 2021.

1. sydmill

sydmill Member

The bloom is off the rose of the 6 game winning streak after the good guys have been throttled in back to back games by teams who are themselves fighting for playoff participation trophies. I dont doubt that there are still many who desire that Silas and Stone do everything in their power to get every win that is possible this year in the hopes of a miracle on ice type situation come playoff time. This is not a thread for that scenario. Rather, this is about prospects that Raphael Stone could be/should be targeting with the Rockets veteran players. This is about players whose future is brighter than their present who play on teams that might value the Rockets veteran players whose career arc doesnt match the Rockets window. Essentially we are looking at players 25 and under who could be acquired with the likes of Oladipo, Tucker, House, McLemore, Nwaba, or, if you can make it work, Wall, Gordon or Cousins.

I am going to start with a few teams that I think are natural trade partners for the Rockets:

Philly
    Matisse Thybulle
    Tony Bradley
    Furkan Korkmaz
    Isaiah Joe
    Paul Reed

Boston
    Aaron Nesmith
    Grant Williams
    Robert Williams

Miami

Tyler Herro
    Precious Achiuwa
    KZ Okpala
    Kendrick Nunn

Toronto

OG Anunoby
    Stanley Johnson
    Terence Davis

New York

Frank Ntilikina
    Obi Toppin
    Kevin Knox
    Mitchell Robinson

Portland

Derrick Jones
    Zach Collins
    Anfernee Simmons
    Nassir Little
    Gary Trent

Denver

MPJ
    Zeke Nnaji
    RJ Hampton
    Bol Bol
    PJ Dozier
    Monte Morris

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I vote rebuild on Bol Bol’s stout shoulders

Bo6, dmoneybangbang and sydmill like this.
  3. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

DEN needs PJ and we need MPJ so let's get STONED!

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Who is lining up to take the Rockets trash?

Some of these guys were discussed for Harden. Sorry, you aren’t getting them for Brictor Oladipo. Just like you weren’t getting the 3rd/8th pick for Westbrook. @steddinotayto @Reeko

5. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

I’ll take anyone over 6’8. Thanks.

ApacheWarrior and kiwirocketsfan like this.
  6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

We don't really have a great pieces to trade

J.R. likes this.
  7. sydmill

sydmill Member

Other than MPJ, Herro & Anunoby (3/30 listed) I think the rockets could obtain any of these guys without adding picks. And they could get those guys by adding picks and/or taking back ugly contracts.

8. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Look forward to seeing this for the foreseeable future lol. Each year their will be a new reason to rebuild.

9. treyk3

treyk3 Member

You take so much pride in not letting people run wild. Just have fun. Smile.

who gives a **** if it's going to require divine intervention to get MPJ or Herro with our dog **** assets after doing a mediocre trade for Harden that everything thinks is going to spit out the next Michael Jordan? let's have fun until we trade Oladipo for a lottery protected FRP and an expiring contract and PJ for 2 SRPs.

10. sydmill

sydmill Member

To be fair I'm counting on that detroit pick for the next michael jordan...

snowconeman22 and treyk3 like this.
  11. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I genuinely don't like the direction of this team.

I hated the Harden trade and as much fun as it would be to tank, if the team ends up losing enough games, I'm almost certain their pick will fall out of the top 4 and they will lose it. I have a feeling that they think the picks can be used as currency to get a stop gap star to fill seats. I couldn't believe they wanted Oladipo and I'm still shocked how mediocre he has been so far. I wouldn't be shocked if they pay him his market rate this offseason. PJ should have been traded the second he was complaining with Harden. If their plan was to trade Harden, PJ should have been sent for the best deal at the time before he showed everyone that he aged a decade in one offseason.

lilbird20, joshuaao, fattz and 5 others like this.
  12. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

That’s the thing, what is the direction of the team? Nobody knows. Seems like we’re trying to tank and compete at the same time. I’m trying to hold my judgements until the deadline, but it’s frustrating not seeing Stone pick a damn direction already and commit to it.

13. Reeko

Reeko Member

Oladipo is the equivalent of old fries under the car seat, and people think Riley will give up Tyler Herro for him...it amazes me

JuNx, lakersuck2, saleem and 5 others like this.
  14. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I knew they were treating the period between Harden and the deadline as a mini-season to re-evaluate but FFS trade Tucker for some youth even if it's not a top tier prospect. Trade McLemore, if you're not going to play him. Codman says there are Tucker multiple deals on the table. There is no rest for this team, they need to pull the plug. They should trade him to Miami tomorrow after the game. I have a feeling any trade will come at the March halfway point or later.

It was a fun team to watch when Wood was here. I suppose, his time of return will dictate my opinion. Week to week seems as unassured as the direction of the team. Everything is a hedge.

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

But Wood does not deserve to get as many touches as either Wall or Dipo.

A CF poll said as much.

16. treyk3

treyk3 Member

How are both of those guys this inept at running a pick-n-roll? I guess Harden and CP3 spoiled us but JFC, throw the ****ing ball in the air.

D-rock, Nook and saleem like this.
  17. J.R.

J.R. Member

LOL I hate dumb lopsided trade proposals.

“You get our bad/so-so players! We get your good players! Fair deal! Who says no?!”

Well Billy, the other team would say no.

One breath: Gordon sucks! House sucks! This guy sucks! That guy sucks!
    Next breath: Maybe we can trade this guy I just said sucks for that team’s good player?!

If you thought the Rockets could get & Westbrook’s value was the 3rd pick or 8th, sorry, you’re delusional. “Yeah, but I’m just letting my imagination run wild and free!” ... LOL OK.

Maybe the media was just letting their imagination run wild when they propose(d) pupu platters for Harden. It doesn’t have to necessarily make sense for one team, let’s just get wild! (as long as it fits under the salary cap).

Media: Harden for Dinwiddie, Allen, LeVert, Prince.
    CF: HELL NO! (LOL CF is now pining for that package—minus Dinwiddie. “Why didn’t we take LeVert and Allen?!”)

Media: Harden for Robinson, Iguodala, Olynyk and a pick
    HELL NO!

Tobias, filler & pick for Harden?
    HELL NO!

Khris Middleton, filler & pick for Harden?
    HELL NO!

[Any Boston package without Brown/Tatum]
    HELL NO!

Paul George?
    HELL NO!

I think the media was just letting their imagination run wild. Let’s have fun, let’s get crazy?!

18. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Ok

19. sydmill

sydmill Member

You sound like a Texans, Astros, & Rockets fan....

I agree about the direction of the team being schizophrenic. The Harden trade isn't what I wanted but was decent if you are embracing a complete rebuild (unabashedly tanking into the top 4). Otherwise it makes no sense. So then, of course, they win crucial games against Detroit, washington and OKC (which, btw, if they had lost would put them between orlando and washington in the lottery).

IF they can turn Dipo, Tucker, House & McLemore into 2 more young pieces then that gives them 6 guys in that 26/26 age range to start building around. You add 5 first round picks to that in the next 2 offseasons and then one max free agent the season after and the, hopefully awful, Brooklyn teams picks. You can see light at the end of the tunnel despite the lack of a coherent plan once the writing was on the wall with James.

THE most important thing now is for TF to route the $$ he is saving not putting contender on the floor into his scouting department. Because you have GOT to hit on most of these picks.

20. sydmill

sydmill Member

God damn dude, it's not like there were any players mentioned here that play more than 10 or 15 minutes a game except for the 3 I mentioned above. This is a fan site and there is nothing reasonable about fanaticism.

If you were speaking more generally nevermind but if you're directing that at me then give me a break, g.

treyk3 likes this.