1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade Targets for a KPJ Trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jags, Sep 13, 2023.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Trade target of similar value:

[​IMG]

Invisible Fan and slothy420 like this.
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

The mismanagement of dumping assets isn’t overblown. It’s stupidity continued. I guess it’s happened so much some folks are numb to it now as if that’s the correct way to operate. It definitely isn’t

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

It's actually the PROCESS BRAINING of the hardcore fanbase.

Most normal people would be revolted at the concept of their team trading for KPJ right now and don't know or care about the tax apron or whatever nonsensical reason this hypothetical KPJ acquirer is going to give.

Also, the league would have to approve the trade, which would be, again, an absolute PR disaster for all involved.

Anyway i guess we'll see when all of the KPJ suitors line up tomorrow right.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  4. larsv8

larsv8 Member

It isn't dumping assets, quite the opposite.

Right now the KPJ contract (not the player) is an asset.

It has a use, for trade matching purposes, especially for a team which is unconcerned about the dead money this year, but more concerned about their cap next year.

Waiving the KPJ contract, without trying to preserve the asset first, would be "dumping the asset"

Y2JT, Jags and RudyTBag like this.
  5. larsv8

larsv8 Member

This is the difference between us, I don't make decisions based on emotions.

You apparently do. More power to you.

Y2JT and DaDakota like this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

Wrong. Nobody relevant gives af about his contract. And they definitely dont give af about this woman beater. Neither are considered assets. That’s why the rockets have to include true assets to get rid of this idiot. That’s the actual reality

nobody is worried about this nonsense at the beginning of the year. They just went through a FA frenzy and everyone is sitting pretty in their own eyes. You don’t get to the part of fixing until well into the season

it’s pathetic how this is being handled

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

Hahaha, ok thanks - maybe I can book a Cameo with Sam Hinkie to deal with the fact that you just proved that you have the longest view in the room

heypartner likes this.
  8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I don't often agree with @SamFisher, but on this one, I do agree.

I guess I'm less emotional about it.

For me, the main thing is that this guy needs to be off our team ASAP.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  9. larsv8

larsv8 Member

Sam, lets just be honest, you have been an emotional wreck this entire rebuild.

You wanted to trade for freaking John Collins ffs.

ROXTXIA, xaos and RudyTBag like this.
  10. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

Thanks for bringing that up.

John Collins was acquired this past offseason by Utah Jazz

According to league sources - key factors in the deal involved John Collins fit as a roll man, his pretty good contract, and his not having tried to commit manslaughter of his partner in the last 72 hours before the trade, brain genius

Like i said before, bud, your view that KPJ domestic abuser fresh out of the Tombs is a palatable contract for the non-existent team that hasn't yet set its roster and needs to clear 16mm in cap room - no matter the cost - is an easily testable hypothesis. I bet the phones are vibrating like crazy in the stone household right now!

11. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Unless we're attaching 3 or more 1sts then the Blazers already have much better offers on the table for Lillard, and those haven't happened yet cause they want even more than that. As for Harden, Morey has already said that he wants a star back and barring and offer like that, they'd try to keep him on Philly.

I'm not against the idea of trying to dump the contract but those 2 are pipe dreams. Keep the targets reasonable like Bertans. That'll be the best we can do even with picks.

DaDakota likes this.
  12. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

No emotion required - another team isn't going to voluntarily catch a radioactive potato that the Rockets are tossing around.

I think that's a common metaphor, right?

kubli9 likes this.
  13. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Ultimately, the key thing is getting rid of KPJ, regardless of the method of getting rid of him.

If the trade happened yesterday, for example KPJ + 2nd round pick for a veteran, I doubt we will see many complaints.

The issue is reports are coming out that the Rockets intend to trade him. Whilst it sends a message that the Rockets don't want him on the team, it also means the Rockets are not taking quick decisive action on getting rid of him, which is ultimately the most important action the Rockets can take right now.

I don't fault them for trying to make a call to other teams and seeing if there are any win/win solutions that will also allow them to dump KPJ, but that window closed the moment reports start coming out on your intentions. The longer this takes, the worse this looks.

14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I assume the league is still blocking them from cutting him? (I don't know)

15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Member
    Supporting Member

You might actually get good PR for being the team that waived him. :D

16. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Member
    Supporting Member

I suspect that this is the Rockets trying to send two 2nd Round Picks and a free salary dump for Kennard/Robinson, because our shooting is that dreadful. I would be shocked If a 1st goes out.

17. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

This is absurd. Kpj for bertans would require picks from okc to us. Bertans deal is a year longer

18. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I don't believe the league can do that, the league can only control the legality of voiding the contract.

There is a possibility that because the league is investigating KPJ, the league placed a stasis on KPJ's contract so the Rockets are not allowed to make certain actions concerning KPJ's contract, except maybe to trade his contract.

It would align with reports going out that the Rockets are not allowed to do anything until after league investigation. Normally, a team should be able to waive a player any time they wish, but if KPJ's actions caused a breach in contract, then I assume there is some league involvement required first. If for example, the league is voiding his contract, then the Rockets wouldn't even be able to waive KPJ at all.

19. BonziWellsGOAT

None of them that's why all of this sh*t is academic.

20. jb86

jb86 Member

Yes that’s the idea. But it’s highly unlikely someone will pull the trigger on that.