1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade Targets for a KPJ Trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jags, Sep 13, 2023.

1. OremLK

OremLK Member

Nobody. Just waive him. I don't think there's anybody we can realistically get who would outplay our in-house options and I don't care that much about having a tradable contract because I think it's extremely unlikely we can trade for a superstar in the near future anyway.

cbass, Newlin and dobro1229 like this.
  2. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

KPJ throws a Temper tantrum again
    KPJ pouts some more
    KPJ parties all night like Harden
    KPJ takes a swing at a teammate

All of these were on my bingo card

KPJ beats and chokes his girlfriend was not and if you say it was on yours, you are a damn liar.

Tons of us expected stupid **** from him. Some of us like @DaDakota HOPED the other stuff was from a kid who had finally started to grow up. KPJ dashed those hopes.

Now the team is trying to trade him, not to actually play for another team, but to get someone to replace him because there is no salary cap space to do so if they waive him and have to eat the contract. Yes Tilman sucks. So does Stone. However, this is not a salary dump. They will have to take back salary. This is trying to dump KPJ while getting a somewhat equivalent player with the same monetary value when they have no other avenue to do so.

Corrosion, Dobbizzle, Plowman and 2 others like this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

KPJ standing on the court and does not move because nobody passed him the ball.

He is sneaky though, I am sure he had fights with Lucas, with staff.

We just did get no footage of it.

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Again… this is all reliant on the assumption that KPJ’s contract and two 2nd round picks have enough value to get a good rotational piece. Who is that player/GM trading them and what do they get out of this vs the risk they are inheriting if this gets dragged out??

YOLO likes this.
  5. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

What is the harm in the Rockets trying? The Rockets won't take the PR hit
    The team acquiring him will. If that team is okay with that; why should we give a damn?

6. dobro1229

Call me “woke” or whatever but I actually care about the Rockets being on the right side of this issue. Releasing him asap, making a tough statement, and donating to the battered women’s shelter actually would help me feel some ounce of respect for the team leadership.

It rubbed me the wrong way that even before
    there was a statement even leaked that spoke about how they care etc. they go to Woj and Shams first to try and create a trade market for their picks and his contract. You can do that too but don’t throw it in the fans face. How hard would it be to pick up the damn phone and ask to be discrete and respectful?

7. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I like Robinson more than most, and I think his shooting would slot well into our second unit, which will really need it. However, the fact his last year is a ETO rather than a team options limits my enthusiasm for him.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

100%

DD

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Rockets Front Office waiting for those trade offers:

DaDakota and ROXTXIA like this.
  10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It's a pretty transparent attempt to redirect attention

Rockets FO is - predictably - in damage control mode.

And also - predictably - they're not great at it

If a national reporter who doesn't owe their livelihood to the Rockets (not team-fawners like Iko or Feigen ) does an exposé and puts solid reporting behind some of the incidents that have been alluded to on this board/Twitter - it's going to get really ugly for the Rockets FO, especially if they are shown to have ignored stuff.

I'm sure the legal team at Rockets headquarters is double checking all of their NDAs from the previous coaching regime (or if you guys are reading this right now - you probably should)

dobro1229 and kubli9 like this.
  11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Ring tone, ring tone.
    JOHN LUCAS: (groggy) Hello? Raf? Dude, it's midnight. You couldn't call me eight hours from now?
    RAFAEL STONE: Hey, Luke, sorry to call so late.
    JOHN LUCAS: Oh, God, what, he go back and kill her this time?
    RAFAEL STONE: What? No, no....Just......wanted to talk, make sure we could count on your, you know, discretion.
    JOHN LUCAS: I told you, told you, the kid was full of s***. I told Stephen. I told Tilman. And if this goes to court, I'll cover my ass, not yours.
    DeEDGRA LUCAS: Is that Stone? Tell him to go eff all the way off.
    JOHN LUCAS: Go back to sleep, I got this.

SamFisher likes this.
  12. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Look at the strength of the union

13. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

KPJ is done in the league, at this point, you can just replace KPJ's name as "$15.86Mil. Non-GTD." in a trade.
    possible trade partner would be teams that wants draft picks for their "serviceable player, with tradable contract".

KPJ's 23'-24' contract plus $1Mil. of 24'-25' is guaranteed (unless the league void his entire contract after investigation), so the Rockets gotta pay this season anyway, cut/waive, or trade him for other contracts. if they want simply save money they should just cut him before the opening night (another $3Mil. of 24'-25' guaranteed on the opening night).
    the Rockets do NOT need to attach draft picks to "dump" KPJ's contract. they're trying to trade draft picks for player(s) who can help this season while retain tradable salaries in possible future trade, and KPJ is just a non-guaranteed matching salary.

so we can be sure a few things in any trade scenario:
    1. KPJ will be cut immediately by the receiving team after the trade (before opening night)
    2. Rockets don't want/need to attach draft pick for bad/hard-to-move contract.

here's a few example:
    1. the Wizards is in their "phase 1" rebuilding/tanking, they try to be bad now. they traded Monte Morris for a 2027 second-round pick, they'd take any draft asset for their useful players not in their rebuild plan.
    Trade proposal:
    "$15.86Mil. Non-GTD" + Cash + two second-round picks for Delon Wright + D.Gallinari.
    or
    "$15.86Mil. Non-GTD" + Cash + three second-round picks for Delon Wright + M.Muscala (1 extra 2RP because Muscala's contract is much smaller than Gallo's)

Wright, Gallo, Muscala are all serviceable role players, again the Wizards don't need them now. any draft picks are free for them.
    for the Rockets, all 3 are expiring contracts so will be easy to move at the trade deadline or let it expires next off-season. Delon Wright is an impact role player, similar to Pat Bev., excellent defense/shooting/play-making from the 2-guard position, will be perfect compliment to Amen Thompson on the 2nd unit, and backing up Jalen Green.
    Gallo or Muscala gives the Rockets depth up front, both excellent 3pt shooter, don't need much playing time so just injury-insurance for our big men.

2. the Clippers has a surplus at the 3-4 position. PG and Kawhi will start when healthy, behind them you got Morris, Batum, Covington, KMJr., Coffey, to play 3 & 4, so they can afford to trade one with bigger contract for draft pick that can help them in future trade(s), while saving in lux.tax.
    Trade proposal:
    "$15.86Mil. Non-GTD" + Cash + two 2024 second-round pick for Covington + A.Coffey.
    Ro.Co. is a perfect player in Ime's system. i even wanted Ro.Co. in the KMJ trade instead of sacrifice so much in pursuing Brook Lopez.
    Amir Coffey is a serviceable 2-guard on a 2-year $3.7mil./yr. contract. Coffey was arrested for gun possession not long ago so he's got his flaw like KPJ, but rather small contract.

3. Toronto Raptors: T.Young + O.P.Jr., both decent veteran with expiring contracts, total $14.3mil., problly takes just 1 SRP.

4. Utah Jazz: they have W.Kessler, Markkanen, and John Collins at 4/5, maybe they'd like to trade Onynyk for a draft pick now before he becomes free agent next summer. Olynyk might actually outplay Landale to be the primary backup 5 and some minutes behind J.S.J.

5. Indy Pacers: Buddy Hield and Myles Turner has been rumored to be traded to the Lakers forever but the Lakers unwilling to give up their un-protected FRPs. I think the Rockets can get Hield if they're willing to surrender the unprotected 24' Nets pick, and they'll need KPJ's non-GTD as matching salary. I don't really like this trade tho. Hield, while the best player on this list, demends most playing time in front of Amen and Cam. the Rockets will also have hard time to re-sign him back next season, had them unable to move him again before deadline in a bigger trade, thus lost the valuable Nets' pick for nothing. but Hield would help the team most this season, one of the best 3pt shooter in the league to play along side A.Thompson on the 2nd unit would be deadly

personally i prefer Delon Wright+M.Muscala or Ro.Co.+A.Coffey

Corrosion, xiki and MarioKissoDeath like this.
  14. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

People are confusing disciplining a player with waiving them. A player can't be disciplined (fined and/or suspended) by both the league and team for the same offense. The league takes precedence over the team. So, since the league is already investigating the KPJ incident, the Rockets can't discipline him.

Waiving a player isn't discipline or punishment, it's just a roster transaction which a team is free to do at any time. Though if we waive him, we still owe him the $15.8m which is guarenteed on his contract. We can waive or trade him if we like.

Joe Rocket, kubli9 and YOLO like this.
  15. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Wouldn’t have predicted this specifically, but I wasn’t shocked. Especially since he’s been accused of hitting another woman previously.

I would’ve been shocked had he strapped a bomb to his chest and blew himself up, but beating on someone because he got mad doesn’t shock me at all.

kubli9 likes this.
  16. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

I believe if we waive him on day 1 of the season then he only gets 1 mil I read that somewhere and I cant find it now. Maybe they are just stalling for time but in the meantime letting us know he wont be on the team. Although they could have just put out a report that KPJ wouldnt be on the team and not say they are exploring trades which sounds dumb.

17. dobro1229

1 million of next season. Full amount this year. However the nba will rule on whether or not this breaches his contract on the morality clause or whatever it’s called. If the NBA rules that he did it’s possible the Rockets could escape having to pay him much of anything.

Joe Rocket likes this.
  18. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I'm going to start following you H-77 if I don't already. You know a little
    something something about basketball.

Duncan Robinson (age 29) current contract takes him through age 32.

Didn't have a great year last season because of too many mouths to feed;
    But showed up at the end of the season when Herro was injured.

For the season (22/23), Per-36 minutes: 10.0 [3PA's]

Splits (21/22)
    Starter (68 games):
    26.6 minutes...36.7% (3P%)...8.0 (3PA)...0.8 (TOV)...1.7 (Ast)...11.0 (pts)

I'm on the record of hating the VanVleet signing ($43M)
    and
    the Dillon Brooks signing ($20+M) slightly descending over a 4 yr span.

Proposed the Duncan Robinson trade a year or so ago; told it was the
    worst contract alive. After this past off season it seems like a bargain.

I can see a core crew of:
    Amen
    Jalen Green................Duncan Robinson / Amen
    Cam Whitmore...........Duncan Robinson / Jabari Smith / Amen
    Jabari Smith..............Tari Eason / Sengun
    Sengun.......................Jabari Smith

7 core players that can play multiple positions.

This is one of the plays Duncan could specialize in:
    -----------------------------------O (rim)----------------------------------------------------
    .........................................................................X............& VanVleet (40%+ on CnS corner 3's)
    ............X...& (Jabari).......................X
    ...............&.....X..........................................X..& (Sengun)
    ..(Duncan Robinson).........................................* (ball)
    ............................................................................
    &
    .......................................................................(Jalen Green)

& = Rockets Player
    X = Defender

In the above play, Jabari (6'11") and Duncan Robinson (6'7") are
    off ball setting screens for each other and either can pop out to the
    3-pt line or cut to the rim.

Here is Duncan Robinson highlights:

Jabari and Duncan R would open up driving lanes for others and be a
    problem for defenses. Duncan would earn his $18M per year in the long run.

I would hope the Rockets could move VanVleet and Dillon in the short term.
    I'm told when we signed them, that moving FVv and Dillon would be easy.

Prove it.

#258 ApacheWarrior, Sep 15, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2023
  19. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

I literally said he might kill someone. They are so blind. They think because they are stupid everyone else is too. He threatened people and hit a woman before and he had a gun incident. So KPJ killing someone or trying to kill someone was "on my card" lol You just have to pay attention. The assumption is that he only had a couple of incidents on the court and that's it. No he's had incidents since high school and they were violent incidents. Those incidents were posted here on Clutchfans and brought up several times btw only to be told we're crazy and we're haters. And I found it odd how many people would ignore it and act like it was nothing. Xopher its no one's fault that YOU weren't paying attention. When people were trying to warn about him maybe you should have looked into his history more.

#259 Joe Rocket, Sep 15, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2023
  20. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

It's still a bad contract. FVV was playing like an all star one year and Dillon Brooks has made an all defense team.

Duncan has had a great bubble run, had a decent playoff run this year and that's it. He plays no defense and his shot hasn't been great like it was in the bubble. There is absolutely zero reason to take on 3 years of him being paid a lot of money.

We will start handing out extensions soon and Duncan being in the books is going to be a disruption to the cap. Say no to stop gaps.

cbass and Hemingway like this.