1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade rumors...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketsfan34, Feb 2, 2000.

1. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

Denver and Orlando are deap into trade discussions, Chauncey Billups, Ron Mercer and Johnny Taylor to the Orlando Magic for guard Tariq Abdul-Wahad, Chris Gatling, about $1 million and a first-round pick. Keon Clark may also be involved as well as Derek Strong. This deal isn't set in stone yet, but word is it is close and may actually happen.

I think this helps Orlando a lot. They get back Taylor and Clark, both players they originally drafted. Mercer has the ability to be a star in the future, but is a free agent this summer.

Houston is really talking hard to get in a power forward, they are interested in Juwan Howard, as well as Shawn Kemp. They also have had interest in Chris Gatling, as well as Derek Strong.

Philly is still hoping someone bits on Larry Hughes. They have tlaked to Indiana, Orlando, and Houston lately, but if the above trade happens, Orlando will not need Hughes.

Milwaukee is trying to wor a deal with the Lakers to get rid of J.R. Reid or Robert Traylor, maybe both for future picks or Travis Knight. Milwaukee is really wanting to get an inside player on the team and doesn't think too many players are going to contribute in the future, except Traylor, if he can keep his weight down and look to shoot more.

New Jersey is shopping around Johnny Newman and Jim McIllvaine in hopes of getting some iside help. They are willing to work out draft pick deals as well.

Miami is wanting to get a shooting guard that can create in, plus some offensive power at the power forward spot. They are willing to get rid of Jamal Mashburn, Voshon Lenard, and P.J. Brown, and maybe even Anthony Carter. There is a little rumor that Clarence Weatherspoon and Otis Thorpe are on the block as well.

Golden State is shopping around Mookie Blaylock around as well as the whole team. Some in their organization are saying they are the busiest team in all of the trade talks. They are also looking to get some draft picks for the future as well. New York has expressed interest in doing a deal with them again in hopes to get Blaylock and maybe Starks back.They are also interested in Terry Cummings and Donyell Marshall, but don't want to give up much in exchange.

Detroit is looking to make some moves as well. They want a true point guard and some inside help. They are willing to give up Lindsey Hunter, Christian Laettner, and really want to get rid of Loy Vaught.

Atlanta is really looking to make a deal with someone. They feel with the tema they have and the chances of drat picks in the near future will not get them far. They are happy with Mutombo, but the rest of the team can go for any price. They would like to unload Rider, but there are very few takers and would have to take a talent drop to do it. Jimmy Jackson and Alan Henderson are on the block and there are a lot of teams interested.

2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

rocketsfan34 -- where are you getting these from? The Denver-Orlando deal already happened. Is this from some article or your thoughts?

3. Rocketability

Rocketability Member

That's the definition of "rumors". [​IMG]

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Houston is really talking hard to get in a power forward, they are interested in Juwan Howard, as well as Shawn Kemp. They also have had interest in Chris Gatling, as well as Derek Strong.

NO NO NO NO NO
    Juwan or Kemp = CAPROOM NIGHTMARE
    Kemp looks like he is nearing 300 LBS at
    the beginning of every year.
    Both are 100 Mill Men.

I like Juwan . .. but 100 Mill???!!?!!?

Rocket River

5. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Juwan Howard is untradeable. He's a base-year player. Even if he were playing like a $100-million a year player, it's doubtful the Rockets would want to tie up their future like that.

Shawn Kemp? We tried that already with THamm. No more Pudge Patrol.

As for Derek Strong, I wouldn't mind us acquiring him-- but, he and Clutch have a history. I'm trying to remember the specifics-- something about Clutch promising "an OLD-style butt whuppin'", and then seeing the 6'8", 250-lb Strong in person and remembering he had some other obligation to attend to.

6. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

Clutch these are rumors posted by John Thompson a few days ago. Before the deal went down. He's a draft guru, and talks with teams a lot and gives a lot of inside info. We are interested in these guy but not neccesarily going to trade for them.

7. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Juwan Howard is untradeable. He's a base-year player.

Actually, base year compensation only applies to the first two years of a contract. Since Howard signed his deal in '96, he's no longer a base year player. He's still untradeable, but not a base year player.

8. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

That was the terminology David Aldridge used on ESPN the other day. Proves he's an idiot, I guess.

9. haven

haven Member

oh, sure Kagy... just pass on the blame [​IMG].

Honestly, don't you think that sometimes the average-well, intense- fan knows more about the NBA than the so-called experts like Peter Vescey? Some of the stuff he writes in his column just seems *apallingly* stupid.

10. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

We definately have less info than Vescey and Aldridge but...we are just smarter.

11. popeye

popeye Member

I know this sounds self serving and rather high brow of me .... but I could not resist saying something after reading some outrageous source claims, trade stories here ....

S.Kemp.

J Howard.

We are not seeking these guys. Not even close.

CD and RT have their collective eyes on a couple of players, and entertain "soft offers" almost daily from a lot of teams.

... but we are looking elsewhere.

It's true, we have limited trade value now, despite the emergence of some recent effective play by some "tradeable" players.

The most likely scenarios involve multiple team involvements. There is just no way we can claim a hyper-talented or impact player on our own. Not unless we start splitting some effective combos and thoroughly dismantle our rotation and match-up capabilities.

The big shakers in the trade offer business right now are: Miami, Washington, Toronto, Atlanta, Seattle, maybe Chicago and yes, the California teams.

Major deals are out there with major names if Riley can pull it off and has his way.

But we are NOT involved at the core of any of these moves.

We are looking at parlaying some moves as a third party to some of offers.

But we are not at the top end of the food chain here folks.

And if we were, we would not be looking at under-acheiving, over-paid players like Howard and Kemp unless someone was willing to take TMass,Curley,Gray and a passel of third round picks.

Mmmmmm.

Don't think so.

[​IMG]

12. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Ugh.... thank you Popeye for an end to this most recent momentary lapse of reason... [​IMG]

If I hear another "I think Bryce Drew and Walt Williams for Chris Webber would be a good deal," I think I'm going to puke...

Heh, heard from Don Nelson lately...?

------------------
    "There are three kinds of lies:
    Lies, Damned Lies, and STATISTICS..."
    - Mark Twain -

13. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

So Darkhorse and Popeye, i guessthat bryce drew, devin gray , and our #2 in 2003 for Alonzo mourning isnt true ?

------------------
    "Don't they get cable in Canada ?" Keith olbermann, after watching hakeem block terry catledge's shot 5 times.

14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Shawn Kemp in Houston? that fat freak would probably blow up trying to run the floor with Cat and Franchise , Juwon Howard is a nice young player bad thing about youn played but $$$$$$$$ in front of them and their gone

15. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Thats Bs that the rockets are interested in Shawn Kemp. Cleveland would love to trade him but alot of teams know that kemp is going to retire soon so why trade for him.

16. CaucasionSensation

I know what is up with this Bryce Drew and Walt Williams crap! I don't know who I would rather have out of those two. But as someone said before that we could package these guys for McGrady, come-on! Seriously you guys need to take it easy with trades for Mo Taylors for Johnny No Name's cause I am trying to stop taking the Lord's name in vain.

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Am I the only one that COMPLETELY fried my brain trying to figure this one out? Moestavern... what were you trying to say?

------------------
    trade them all and fire the coach.

18. Beck

Beck Contributing Member

What does everyone think of Alan henderson? He had some serious health problems and was not expected to be playing well until the second half of the season. He is averaging about 13pts and 8 rebs a game. He makes about 6.5 mil. I'm not sure that I like him, but I think Atlanta may be looking to shake it up.