1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade: Rudy Gay AND Stro Swift for Shane Battier?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Possum, Jun 28, 2006.

1. deep79

deep79 Member

Rockets doomed themselves to 4th place in the division for the next few years. Still too many holes in our roster and we lost 2 pieces for a mediocre player. A fifth option on a lower tier playoff team?!?

We essentially have no prospects for improvement because with Yao and Tmac we're guaranteed to be not in the lottery, while without a supporting class we're guaranteed not to be in contention.

I've never been this depressed about our future since Yao first came on board. Back then I was thinking at least contention for multiple championships. Now all we have to look forward to the same old mediocrity we've had to endure for the last ten years.

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

JVG knows he has 1 season to prove himself. He's going w/ the quickest fix possible, regardless of talent and regardless of the future. That's one of the problems I have w/ this trade. I understand wanting to get a player that can contribute now, but at what expense are the Rockets willing to do this.

I'm tired of having the find "JVG-Type" players for this team.

3. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Ok...I took the night to sleep on it (somewhat). While I am not at the level of pisstivity that I was at last night, I am still extremely dissapointed with our management.

Prior to the draft I wanted a swingman that could defend (tired of having 6-2 dudes check Kobe and others) and hit the open jumper. Well, it looks like we got that for sure. If Roy or Gay came in, started every game, defended well and shot 49% from the field and 39% from the three, then I would be in heaven. We got the type of player that I wanted with the pick. I am happy with Battier.

However, I can't think of any situation where a role player like Battier was enough to snag a top 10 pick in a draft. I'm trying to think of one but I just can't. Someone please help me!! I honestly don't think there is an example out there. I just can't believe that Swift wasn't worth a 2nd round draft pick from some team at the very least. No team would take on Swift in exchange for a 2nd rounder?

If we gave up Swift and the pick for just Battier, we got hosed (value wise) any way you put it. I want someone to admit that they would have traded the #8 pick for Battier before the draft. Someone explain to me how this is equal value for our pick and one of our PF's?

There are three other things that upset me as well. If we go into next season starting Howard and Hayes at the PF I will be pissed. I also don't think signing Swift and then shipping him back to his original team 1 year later bodes well for future free agent signings. And why do you trade with a division rival?

How many folks have actually watched Battier play...I mean seriously watched him? Has he ever made an All-D team? Does he really defend well? I'm looking at the box scores from the Mavs/Grizz series, and the Mavs swingmen were getting off.

4. deep79

deep79 Member

Even if it is the same we were a lottery team last year. If we stay healthy we'll make the playoffs but we won't contend.

With only the MLE we won't have any type of depth to make a run. We're in trouble.

5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I won't be as disappointed with how the Rockets' management basically messed this whole draft up if we somehow manage to bring back Mike James and lure away Jared Jefferies. Impossible you say? Well that's how much rectifying they will have to do for being part of one of the biggest draft day blunders.

6. Jrazz

Jrazz Member

7. MadGame2002

MadGame2002 Member

Some of you people were booing the Robert Horry selection look how that turned out... Man, we could of had Harold Minor.

8. rocketstrike

rocketstrike Member

Maybe CD is teaching Morey a lesson on what not to do as a GM. :rolleyes:

9. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

this is different. We not only dealt one of, if not, the most athletic player in the draft who could possibly turn into a stud, we also shipped out the wrong PF. In return, we did not get a single draft pick...not even a 2nd rounder...we didn't get a star player, we got a 28 year old player that can be this team's Mario Elie at best

10. TxCowboy96

TxCowboy96 Member

Personally I like the trade - Battier will eb able to start right away while Gay might eb a few years down the road. Personally I think it is a good trade - I wont say great but it is good. At least we got rid of Swift who has accomplished nothing for us in the last 2 years. Defense has let us down before so this is where Battier will do the job for us. Personally I think Battier will blossom playing alongside McGrady and Ming.

11. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Well thats nice. However I never hear someone say battier is a better defender than Bowen, Prince, AK, etc. I haven't seen much of Battier. For those who have watched him, how solid is he defensively? His D didn't seem to make much of a difference in the Mavs series, but I am only looking at boxscores.

12. TRAVLR

TRAVLR Member

Rookie poster here, be gentle.

My thoughts are related to things in my business life that made no sense at the time. Usually (but not always) there was more to the picture than I could see.

If in fact, the full trade is Battier for our #8 and Swift then I have to conclude we really got hosed. I might even see the 8 for Battier, but no way should we give up Swift for next to nothing.

13. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Battier is a very good defender at SF, I don't know if he has the lateral quickness to stay w/ SGs. He is a very smart player that doesn't make a lot of mistakes and is probably the posterboy for team play.

I like Battier and I think he will be a good fit, my problem is the price we paid for him. I won't blame Battier and will cheer for him, but I do hope that Gay turns out to be an All-Star.

14. MadGame2002

MadGame2002 Member

If SHane Battier can play a Sura/Mario Elie type role for our team we can make it to the second round with FA pick ups of course.....

15. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

I've heard a lot of times that Battier's the smartest bball player in the NBA

16. dividend

dividend Member

I've always liked Battier... and I was never too impressed with Gay, but I'm still pissed about this trade...we gave up way too much... hopefully there's more to it? We better make some serious moves because I don't want to experience this season like it was last season :mad:

... and what's up with some of you BANDWAGON fans saying you won't watch the rockets anymore? I'll watch 'em through thick and thin no matter how much this trade stings :mad:

17. dlath25

dlath25 Member

18. MadGame2002

MadGame2002 Member

Duuuuude....He's tough. I would kicked the crap out of Cato(he's soft enough)

19. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

im done posting about this trade.

1) i like it. i think we gave up too much though.

2) Battier is a quality starter. Defensive stopper, dead eye 3pt shooter, high bball IQ

3) Swift is gone. So our basketball IQ as a team increases dramatically.

4) We might be receiving another player or TE, the deal isn't finalized.

5) FA market. Pick up Chris Wilcox or evans for the 4. Add Mike me james and or Rush for added depth.

it's not the end of the world. People are acting like we just traded away the rights to dwayne wade or something. chill out.

20. ikfit

ikfit Member

I am still extremely dissapointed with our management.