1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade: Rudy Gay AND Stro Swift for Shane Battier?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Possum, Jun 28, 2006.

1. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

i guess we can look at the bright side. We kept HEAD, and the FA market. :p

2. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

but can't we get someone with intangibles through free agency or other trades..

I still think we can trade Rudy Gay for a lot more than that..

Jerry West thinks Rudy Gay is a very safe pick and he's even willing to get Swift back for a chance to get him..

3. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Chad Ford's Grade on Memphis
    MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES
    Round 1: Rudy Gay, SF, UConn (No. 8, acquired from Houston)
    Kyle Lowry, PG, Villanova (No. 24)

Round 2: Alexander Johnson, PF, Florida State (No. 45, acquired from Indiana via Portland)

Analysis: I've been hard on Jerry West's drafts the past few years. But this one was, in a word, awesome.

The Grizzlies somehow turned a solid player, Shane Battier, and a late first-round pick into three potential starters and potential rotation player.

Getting Rudy Gay, Stromile Swift and Kyle Lowry should remedy the Grizzlies' greatest weakness -- an utter lack of athleticism. Now, Mike Fratello willing, the Grizzlies can get up and down the court with the other elite teams in the West. A starting five of Lowry (or Damon Stoudamire, if he returns), Mike Miller, Gay, Pau Gasol and Swift would be long, athletic and able to score in multiple ways.

I'm a big fan of Alexander Johnson, especially in the second round. He is a poor man's Kenyon Martin and adds some toughness to their front line. Great pick.

Grade: A+

Just sickening

4. UTweezer

i bet he was thinking that when he drafted Swift (did he?) and all the rest of that 8th seed team.

5. backspasmkiller

The nightmare since last season is still going on...

just wanna know if there is any tiny possibilitiy to cancel this most stupid trade ever in history :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

6. UTweezer

sometimes as a rockets fan, i just wish we could pull off huge trades....

on draft day. but we do and we often give up way too much

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

of course it's because head wasn't as high a pick. that's exactly what we're talking about. the value of having a #8 pick and trading it, along with another player, for this.

8. TMac#1

TMac#1 Member

There are positives in this deal and it could turn out well. Let's be real, the rockets aren't through yet. They are going to add players in FA. We'll probably add mike james to be the shooter and 3rd scorer and now we have a guy in Battier who can defend the opponents best player and has intangibles. Plus we are getting rid of Swift, that's great. Adding James is pretty much a given, I think the big challenge will be finding a starting PF to go with Hayes, Howard hurts this team more than he helps.

9. UTweezer

yep. we aren't through. We still have a faint glimmer of hope that we might be getting another player/TE from memphis or a third team.

FA market. Pick up someone like Wilcox, mr. me james...and we're cooking...
    we also kept head.

10. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I think this will be a much better fit than people realize.

11. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Not sure if its been discussed since I dont have time to sift thru the entire thread ....BUT,

my main concern with the trade is the fact that Jerry West is usually pretty good about picking up on good young talent (granted he did draft Swift too I believe)...but it scares me that we gave a guy away who West is obviously high enough on that he was willing to take back one of his only mistakes to get him.

12. prv1981

prv1981 Contributing Member

I really hope that my frustrations are for no reason, and that this deal is not as lopsided as it seems. I am hoping the Rockets were able to snag another pick from Memphis in the 07 draft and that the final details are still to come when the deal becomes final. I

13. MadMax

i hear ya. i think he's a good fit, too. i just don't think you have to give up this to get it...or something similar.

14. Diaw

Diaw Member

of course Battier will be a perfect fit next to tmac and yao, i think everybody agree with that ... but what is so frustrating is that we were not able to get anything else from memphis ... but maybe we will have a good surprise on the 12th of july ...

15. brentdapmp

brentdapmp Member

so was anyone at the draft party last night? please tell me the booing lasted for the rest of the draft.

16. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

17. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

does anyone remember when Battier torched us at the end of one of our games last year?

I'm wondering if that ONE game had anything to do with us picking him up.

18. TMac#1

TMac#1 Member

I think they saw some of swift rudy gay. Flashy dunker and talented with "potential" but no heart, passion, effort or aggressiveness. I really think they look at Battier as a Bruce Bowen type player and they'll add scoring punch in a couple weeks.

Let's admit that the only guy they wanted in this draft was Roy. Beating the nuggets was maybe the most costly win I can remember.

19. MadMax

check out some of the other threads about it. apparently people booed and walked out.

20. UTweezer

im sure Gay is smarter than Swift. he has a brain atleast.

anways, again im all for the trade. BRING on the FA's!