1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade: Rudy Gay AND Stro Swift for Shane Battier?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Possum, Jun 28, 2006.

1. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I think giving up Swift was actually getting something even if it's nothing.

Look, there was all this uproar here when we drafted Head last year. I was in the chat as always, and people were acting the exact same way as now. The same people who screamed "Trade Yao" for years. I guess I'm just tired of it. We really know nothing about how things will pan out in the big picture. This very well may be a good thing for us.

2. lexled

lexled Contributing Member

this is one of the GAYEST moves weve ever made

Im thoroughly dissapointed with last nights draft. After weeks of contemplating who we might get, some young athletic guy, we get freakin Shane Battier???

Please tell me this is a late April Fools.

3. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

uh....no he isn't.

have you watched or been to a rockets game?

hello my name is swift.

I was drafted #!1 (#2?) and i have limitless potential.
    I look lost on offense and defense. That thing i do that resembles a hook, I never really work on. I just throw it up there because I'm nervous. I apologize if I look lost out there, but I make it up with some awesome dunks! yea!

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

C'mon, man. I'm pissed about this trade and even posted last night that the NBA is my least favorite sport right now, but that's going a little too far. I would never think of changing my loyalties because of a trade, much less a trade where none of the components has even stepped foot on the court for the upcoming season.

Something that hasn't been mentioned (I don't think) is that not only did we give up someone with tremendous upside, we gave him up to a division rival.

5. UTweezer

i agree. I'm glad that guy is gone. Apparently no one really wanted him last year either (NJ)? He wasn't exactly a hot commodity and he proved why.

I'd rather give those minutes to chucky hayes or sign Wilcox. good riddance, tard.

6. bratna8

bratna8 Member

You are taking my post out of context. I said Rockets + Gay + Swift 10> Rockets + Battier.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

there wasn't anywhere near the uproar about head that there is about this. nowhere close. head was projected to be our pick that whole week. he was one of the few names we all were waiting on. some didn't like the pick, to be sure. time will tell how that one will turn out.

but this is just a sense of not getting value. in my opinion, no matter how gay turns out, his value on draft day is too high to justify trading for a guy like battier. it will only sting worse if gay lives up to potential.

8. brentdapmp

brentdapmp Member

I am thinking that Les got a big payment from Bob McNair so that the Texans look good compared to this draft day shocker. This is one of the worst trades I have seen in a long time. It is their JOB to get the best value for your team and the Rockets have done anything but that. How can you let yourself get completely taken like that? Some people need to be fired.

9. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

If we are one hole away from seriously contending, I am all for it. However, we have too many holes, we need a 2 who can shoot and defend, we need a 3 who can give quality minutes because of TMac's back, we need a 4/5 who can rebound/defend/take a jumper, we need a quality backup 1 to play 20 minutes. Dallas have Stackhouse coming off the bench, and the Spurs have Finley, we couldn't even figure out a starting lineup without mentioning names of JH, RB, DW, and Head. Don't get me wrong, I really like Battier, but when we got lucky that Gay fell to #8, instead of taking full advantage of it, CD just said yes to West, when West picked up the phone and offered Battier for Stro and Gay, without negotiation. Ending up with the first offer is not negotiation.

10. UTweezer

and you know these because you have a crystal ball on how Gay is going to play fit in/adapt to the NBA?

word of advice. get off the board now and go play the stock market and the lotto.

then you can buy the rockets and get your man back from memphis.

btw
    I agree we did give up a little too much, but we might be getting a TE or another player.

11. MadMax

just so i'm clear...are you getting this from somewhere credible or is it just your hunch???

12. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Not true. The deal was contingent on two things: 1. the five players that the Rockets wanted not being there, AND 2. Gay being on the board when we picked.

CD and the boys made this deal because they DID NOT want Gay but wanted the BPA that they could get their hands on. They apparently could not get Battier without throwing in Stro or Howard to make the salaries match and obviously it came down to Stro.

13. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

You don't know. That's the point.
    Please scratch the scouting department and cheer for the knicks.

Sincerelly, JVG

14. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

That is what I'm worried about...

(and I had plans to get into the Rockets more than ever this coming season... :( )

15. UTweezer

it's called eternal hope, which will probably be shattered.

16. bratna8

bratna8 Member

No idiot, you don't need a crystal ball to see how badly we got screwed. Maybe you like being raped like how our management got it.

17. MadMax

nothing wrong with hope. i'm hopeful they'll make other moves that will improve the team, as well. but on a deal-by-deal basis, i'm not happy with this one.

18. UTweezer

look here rookie. go straight the memphis boards and put me on your ignore list.

19. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Only because Head wasn't as high as a pick. Nobody liked it. I remember the chat very well. Only R2K and I weren't freaking out. It's the same thing but on a smaller scale.

The name Battier doesn't carry punch. But I think there are intangibles in his game which will really help us out. And it's a while before the season starts, this team isnt done.

20. walangjo

walangjo Member

i still hate this trade. any way we can all email or contact dawson, morey or jvg to try to rescind this trade? hell, boycott the team if its necessary! We just frekking wasted the hell out of this draft!

Battier is good.. but the price is just tooooooooooooo highh! if possible, the grizzlies should AT LEAST add a '07 draft pick!

D*mn this trade!!!