1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TRADE] Rockets Acquire Carl Landry (#31) PF Purdue

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, Jun 28, 2007.

1. vunny1408

vunny1408 Contributing Member

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/j68GY-FZWPU"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/j68GY-FZWPU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

He finishes better than Chuck! Chuck often lays the ball up, but from the few clips I see of Landry, he can finish in traffic!

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

OK... something doesn't compute there...

This was 2005, supposely before his injury, but...

He dunked flat-footed in the first part of the highlight.

His standing reach is supposely 8'6.5''

To get the ball over the cylinder you'd think he his hands need to be a good 6' over the cylinder. The cylinder height is 10' tall..

So he jumped almost 3' flat footed? About 36 inch standing vertical? I'm not buying that.

3. rocketsfaninsa

4. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

His vertical measured 37" at camp, I believe.

You know, at the worst, this guy makes a trade for somebody like Najera or Reggie Evans not needful, we don't have to overpay for their mediocrity. We can now concentrate on adding a bigger force at PF/C to complement Yao/Hayes/Laundry.

The way I see it currently:

Yao 30 mpg
    McGrady 30 mpg
    Battier 30 mpg
    Bonzi 30 mpg
    James 30 mpg
    Hayes 20 mpg
    VSpan 20 mpg
    Laundry 10 mpg
    Brooks 10 mpg

Rafer, Head, Sura, LucasIII, Snyder, goneumondo.

We still have room for one more big to give us major minutes plus some slop. Consider this, at the very, very worst, we could trade Rafe, Sura, Head, and Snyder to the Nugs for KMart. (Don't get me wrong, I don't want KMart, he makes way too much money for what you get, he's too much risk, blah blah blah). The Nugs would do that salary dump any day of the week. That would be a bad trade for us. But, if we did it, when you look at our PF spot, we will still be in way better shape than last year when you look at KMart, Hayes, and Laundry there as opposed to Juwan and Hayes.

And that's about as bad a deal as you can get. Consider what the other possibilities are here. Artest is still a possibility of we give up VSpan, Camby still a possibility, Darko still a possibility. No telling what else is going to materialize. Do we realize actually that trading out Howard for Laundry is actually an upgrade for this team already? I know a bunch of you will argue that, but Howard was absolutely the worst possible fit with Yao, the most unathletic PF in the league, way too slow.

I do not understand why everybody is flipping out over the PF slot. I am very confident we will have much improved play at the spot this next year.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The reason people are flipping over the PF spot is because we are so thin at PF/C and the draft is over. IMO, Landry is already better than Hayes and by mid-season we may have little use for Chuck if we obtain another PF who starts for us. I'm concerned about signing a decent backup for Yao. With our roster so unbalanced and our needs so desperate, the Rockets aren't in the best position to negotiate with other teams.

6. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe I'm missing something in your math. If he jumped 2', his hands would be at 10'6.5''. Where does your 3' flat footed vertical come in? A 24-28'' standing vertical for a guy with a 37'' running vertical isn't that unbelievable.

7. Rockets-R-Us

Rockets-R-Us Contributing Member

JOPATMC -

Apparently, you have'nt been introduced to the combination of utter futility that is the "Brain Trust" of the Rockets.... the "Deciders" of NBA decision making that is Les Alexander and ANYONE HE EMPLOYS!!! It's been a joke for a LONG, LONG time (at least at the draft level).

Can Adelman make a difference? I hope so. Does he really have THAT MUCH influence on Drafts and Trades? I hope so. If Brooks was his pick, then I'll stop b****ing until I see a trade that means we can actually defend someone that plays Power Forward in the Western Confernece.

Until then, anyone who thinks our rebounding has improved based on what our guys did on draft night is clearly smoking peyote on a regular basis!!!

8. jopatmc

Puff, puff.

We lost Howard and picked up Laundry. We also will have James playing more minutes over Rafer. I venture a guess that our rebounding has definitely improved, so long as we bring back Deke. Wanna toke?

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Ooops... my bad. Somehow missed the math, missed a whole foot.. yes, it all works out. And I think his standing vertical in the combine was like 30 inch, too.

I just thought it was weird for a guy taller than Chuck and with a bigger wingspan than Chuck to have such a short standing reach. Must be Landry's giant noggin.

10. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

"People kept talking about him being undersized," Landry's agent, Buddy Baker, told The Associated Press. "He keeps measuring 6-9, he's 250 pounds. He tests off the charts athletically."

Landry is the first Purdue men's basketball player drafted since 2000, when the Detroit Pistons made forward Brian Cardinal a second-round pick.

http://www.boilerstation.com/apps/p...20070630/SPORTS02010201/706300321/1122/BOILER

11. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

12. smasstastic

smasstastic Member

13. jopatmc

OK, where's the Nate block of Yao video? :(

14. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Actually, if you watched the draft, you'll see that one of the highlights they showed when the Carl Landry pick was announced was of Carl blocking Greg Oden's shot. I didn't notice it at first, since I thought he was Seattle's draft pick. So, funny you mention that.