1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TRADE] Rockets Acquire Carl Landry (#31) PF Purdue

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, Jun 28, 2007.

1. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

According to ESPN, Seattle traded their #35 pick (Glen Davis) and there isn't a "Trade" icon next to their #31 pick (Carl Landry). Guess it's really a mess in the media room now?

2. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

shock again!

3. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

at least we got a pf out of the draft
    landry was someone i was consider with the 26th pick
    but not when mcroberts is still on the block....
    i guess he's overrated for being a dukie
    boozer is a 2nd rounder too isn't he?

4. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

so is it glen davis or carl landry?
    i don't want big baby

5. SmitingPurpleEm

The #35 pick (Glen Davis) was traded to Boston as part of the Allen trade.

6. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

T-Mac.

All you can do is get mad or laugh...I choose to laugh. This team is going nowhere. JVG is smiling somewhere.

7. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

spot on

8. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

Thanks for the heads up.

9. hooroo

hooroo Member

that's 14 players not including hayes + sura. a chance the 54th pick will be international. the only inside and outside scoring threat like almond left would be brad newley.

10. denniscd

denniscd Contributing Member

i would trust morey...he did the battier trade, he did the james trade....hes 2 for 2. what this says is that they dont think lucas or vmac can play. they must let billy go now.

11. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Just FYI, this came directly from the Rockets media room from Clutch regardless of whether ESPN has it or not.

12. kmoney

kmoney Member

when you think about it, we still are guard heavy and will probably trade a few or use FA to get a solid pf. i still dont understand this move but i hope the mgmt didnt screw up this one

13. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

This guy over Fesenko? With the first pick in the 2nd round!?!?! I really can't understand the reasoning behind him going this high.

It's likely Morey put too much stock into his workouts, as that's where Landry really made a name for himself (played well against Noah/Horford).

Draft Express:

In terms of skills, the stunner was a beautiful jump-shot. Landry looked comfortable taking shots out past the college 3-point line, and has exactly the type of form you want to see from an undersized power forward who will need to step outside and force opposing big men to come out and guard him. The high release will do a lot to make up for any disadvantage in the height department, and his effortless stroke should allow him to come in off the bench and knock down the occasional jumper without having to shoot himself into a rhythm. This ability to stroke the outside shot improves his value to an NBA team as a role-player dramatically.

Given what players like Craig Smith and Paul Millsap did in the training room last summer and their respective immediate impacts, Landry has a chance to really turn some heads in a draft camp environment that is perfectly suited for him to display his aggressive, physical style of play. Landry still has work to do before he is ready to make the immediate impact of a Smith or Millsap, but his production, on-court mentality, and willingness to work are very similar. On the whole, there was very little not to like from Landry this weekend.

That's nice to hear, though.

14. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

Well, Brooks and Landry are both workout wonders. here comes moneyball.

15. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

SmitingPurpleEm clarifies the trade stated in ESPN. Sorry for the confusion.

16. azoghbi

azoghbi Member

i'm as confused/angry as anyone, but i'm realizing that morey probably has a reason for drafting these two players. he has put a lot more effort into this draft than we have and surely knows something we do not. further, we can't give him crap yet considering neither player has even stepped foot on the court with the rockets. although the nba is a very different place than college hoops (and i'm as scared about a 5'11 3/4 inch point guard in the nba) maybe these guys will find ways to contribute. think positive thoughts, i know its hard...

17. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

I can't wait to look back on this one...

Man if JVG was still here they would have to assign him a body guard.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I don't think either one is going to be in the rotation this year, they are drafting who they think is the BPA.

Morey has been good at trades, let's see what they are going to do....

And for those who are saying V-Span is gone, I don't think so, he is under a cheap contract, no need to let him go unless you get some value for him......

But 7 PGs......out of 15 players.....wow !

DD

19. DaneB

DaneB Member

It's funny how hard it can be sometimes to make fans happy! :D This is what another site has to say about Landry! Not too bad considering that we didn't have much going into the draft. If these are our two picks, I'm happy because it shows that Morey is attempting to fill both of our holes. What more can you really ask of them? McRoberts is kind of overrated because he is a Dukie and Splitter is not even going to be available until next year!! Ben Davis is fat!! Landry seems pretty decent. Besides, there is also the offseason to make trades and explore free agency some. Unless you are Portland or Seattle, the draft is not a cure-all.

20. AussieRocket

AussieRocket Member

I see Boozer potential here...