1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade proposal: Mench to Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rox Addict, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

ESPN has reported that the Rangers could be looking to trade Kevin Mench. Thats all it said on the ESPN Website but I couldn't post the whole report because I do not subscribe to the insider. But as I looked at his stats they are pretty good..267 BA, 11 HR, 43 RBI, and he plays right field and I know he has played 1st base before. His contract is at 2.8 million I don't know for how long. What do you guys think of trying to acquire Mench in a trade ? I like Him and think he woulod be a good fit for the Astros.....

2. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

I think that the Stros like him. I've seen him mentioned in a trade rumor to the Astros before.

I like him. I wouldn't mind stock piling talent. I'd like to have several guys that can take cuts should the Stros make it to the WS again.

I like Mench. The move further pushes ensberg out though.

3. Major

Major Member

If you're disappointed with Wilson, Mench is going to be basically the same thing. He hit 7 of his 11 HRs in April (all in 7 days). He has 4 HRs the rest of the season, batting 0.219 in June and is under 0.200 in July. Basically, identical to a Wilson - streaky, gets some RBIs, very little power.

Keep in mind that we already have too many players at his position - Berkman's already out there for Lamb to play 1st. If Ensberg comes back, Huff has to go out to the outfield already. So I'm not sure where you'd really play the guy.

4. Rox Addict

Supporting Member

Exactly :)

5. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Meh...all were getting is another Preston Wilson who strikes out less but still has identical stats. We can do better.

6. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I don't understand the Ensberg hate at all. When he hasn't been hurt, he's been amazing.

7. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

I live in dallas, and ive been to some rangers games. Mench is slower than berkman in the outfield. Keep in mind he plays right field too which isnt that large compared to center or right. Many line drives go over his head and to the wall here in arlington. He's SLOW.

8. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

No to Mench. He is like Jason Lane. Astros could use a upgrade at every postion but the postion Huff, Berkman, and Burke play.

9. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Agreed. Why would we want Mench? He doesn't offer us anything we can't get from Lane.

10. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

He's too much like Lane and Ensberg...poor discipline, strikes out too much. We need guys that have some pop, but are smart hitters that know how to get on base.

11. Rox Addict

Supporting Member

Agreed !! I'm not that familiar with Mench..I always thought he was one of the Rangers big studs...oh well we don't need anymore Lanes or Ensbergs...

12. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Let the Bobby Abreu sweepstakes begin...

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

He has?

14. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

Good, yes. Amazing, no. He takes to many strikes.

15. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

NO WAY!

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

we need more OF/3B/1B :D

17. Buck Turgidson

Wish I could see Scott taking OPs roster spot after bringing Lane up in a couple/few weeks. :( Those 2 are redundant. When you're 2 best RH hitters off the bench are Bruntlett & Willy, you have problems. Wouldn't mind seeing PW sit if/when Morgan gets right.

Ensberg is their trading-deadline acqusition at the plate.

Willy doesn't provide much to this team as he is...if Lane finds his swing even a little bit & can handle CF even adequately (we know Bruntlett can), then Willy needs to be in AAA. Or if they can get a good, young reliever (Marlins?) then you have to think about it.

They're also carrying 12 pitchers right now - and are having trouble finding regular innings for several guys. There's a bit on astros.com about the decision when Backe gets activated; I'm fairly certain I don't want to see Wandy pitch again for the Stros this year. I can see them going with 11 pitchers at some point in August, definitely before Sept 1.

btw...Hirsh has a bit of a sore shoulder & will get a lighter workload for awhile. Probably rules him out as even a potential callup this year.

18. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

i really don't believe lane sees the light of day again this year unless he just tears into austin; frankly, i think he's spent. as for scott/OP; it's not as easy as sticking a random guy in that spot. case in point - i think this team really misses viz. OP is a proven PH; garner seems to really value that.

the astros are going to have some tough decisions to make as we move forward, first and foremost, when do you pull the plug? that's a big one because they could be sellers or buyers at the break. also, will burke see more time at 2B? does ensberg fit into their future? is huff worth pursuing beyond this year? and good god, is there any chance they'll reevaluate the way they handle their farm? i'd like to see guys wtih talent expedited thru the system, not sat on. hirsh, pence, anderson, albers, patton - what's the hold-up? i don't get it.

19. Buck Turgidson

Because they're not ready.

20. Phil

Phil Contributing Member

maybe if we get him an even bigger shoe size, he can hit some more hr's for us. he'd be a good bench player to have around, but definitely not the savior of our season...what the hell is going on w/ us??

i hope we can get some additions to our bullpen on top of this rumored trade. but the market is littered with so many buyers that i don't see us getting a great deal on anything. it needs to be quick and under the radar (like the huff deal) for us to have a fighting chance.