1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade Proposal (Memphis)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Xtraordinary1, Jun 13, 2003.

1. Xtraordinary1

Xtraordinary1 Contributing Member

Mo, Cat, Mooch, Collier for Wesley Person, Brevin Night, Shane Battier. We would probably have to throw in a future first rd pick
    also.

2. sydmill

sydmill Member

look man, Cat is worth more than that by himself

3. Montrealjumpman

NO way, giving up MO and CAT for these craps, NO, with that cost I would like to have Mike Miller plus JW if Stevie moves to 2.

4. SLA

SLA Member

If you actually think about it..it is pretty fair.

But why the heck would they want MoT or Collier? They have way too many young big men already.

And we would only have 1 power forward.....Eddie Griffin....that wouldn't be good.

And we already have Posey, Rice, Nachbar, Morris, Hawkins, and company.

5. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Are you kidding? Moochie and Knight are a push. Person may be a good shooter, but he is one dimensional. Battier IMO is a role player at best. Mo does the same job Battier does, but Mo is twice the offensive player.

Horrible deal.

6. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Yeah agreed Rocketspimp, you couldn't have said it any better.

7. QJammer23

QJammer23 Member

lock this thread

8. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's not that bad. Certainly not to get this kind of feedback.

Look at the cap considerations...getting out of Mo and Moochie's contracts are huge. Person and Knight are both expiring contracts, when combined with Rice's 9+ mill, that's over 20 mill in contracts that are ending, which ca be valuable bait for later, or allows us to use our MCE more actively without worrying about the lux. tax.

I think Knight is better than Moochie...he's an excellent passer, his only problem is his size and his shot. He's certainly more valuable because of his contract.

As far as Battier goes...don't we all want the smart player with excellent defense and the ability to knock down the outside shot? RP, why the comparison of Battier and Taylor? 2 completely different players. Battier also makes 1/3 the salary of Taylor.

9. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Uhhh... Brevin Knight is one of the best pure passers in the league, and he plays really good defense (sure, he's easy to post up, but how many point guards post up regularly?). He is quite a bit better than Mooch.

10. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

When was Mo ever known for defense?

I don't like the deal though; we're not getting a guy of Cat's caliber and you want us to give up a future first-rounder also... :eek:

11. Sane

Sane Member

I'd do it for sure. It finally makes this team Yao and Francis' team with perfect role players.

Only question is, can a Posey/Person/Battier trio handle the 2-spot?

Ming/Cato
    Griffin/MLE signing
    Posey/Rice/Battier
    Person/Battier
    Francis/Knight

If this MLE signing turns out to be PJ Brown or even Alonzo Mourning, you're looking at a great team here. Look at Person's 3pt% with Memphis, who's best player is Gasol. Imagine how many more open looks he'd get from Francis and Yao? Hopefully, Battier can be a multi-purpose player, backing up the 2 and 3, coming in to do whatever the starters couldn't do, calm the team down. Maybe our offensive players will improve that horrible shot of his.

Only problem here is that, Boki doesn't get playing time unless we also ship Rice out. However, with Knight and Person's expiring contracts, and having gotten rid of Mooch and MoT's contract, we can probably be a bit more open to landing Reef, Glen Robinson, Brian Grant, Eddie Jones, Rashed Wallace, since we'd be in a MUCH better cap situation.

Think about that trade, then imagine we deal Rice and Cato for Brian Grant and throw ins. If I'm not mistaken, Rice and Cato make a combined 16M, while Grant makes 12M. This means that we'd probably have to add around 3M+ to make the deal work from Miami;s side, however, you end up with this assuming they send us Stepania and a 2nd rounder:

Ming/Stepania/Grant
    Grant/Griffin
    Posey/Boki/Battier
    Person/Battier/Posey
    Francis/Knight

Don't you think Grant, Posey, and Person are the PERFECT role players? Grant with his reboudns and defense, Posey with his fastbreak and defense, Person with his hardwork and 3-pt shooting. There's also a bench that includes Griffin, Battier, Boki, and Knight.

That's an amazing team if you ask me, and both teams would surely go for those deals.

12. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

I'm sort of on the fence on this deal. First of all, I definitely wouldn't add a first-rounder. The trade is fair as it is. I don't really think I'd do it as a stand-alone deal. But if we had another deal to get a starting-calibre power forward lined up to go with this one (for example Sane's idea), I think I might go for it. Very interesting proposal.

13. smackpeddler

smackpeddler Member

The Grizzlies would not do that deal. Why would they take on Mo Taylor's and Moochie Norris' contracts? Where would Mo play, they already have Gasol and Swift and Wright.

14. codell

codell Contributing Member

This is my thinking too. They have no place for Mo to play (not to mention they probably don't want his contract). Moochie is hardly an upgrade, production or contract wise, over Knight. Collier is just a throw in and has no real value. So the jist of the deal is Battier and Person for Cat. Cat is better than both, but not together. Leave Battier out of the deal, and I think Memphis would talk. However, replacing Cat with Person is a downgrade and would weaken our team.

There is really not a good reason for either team to do this trade.

15. topfive

topfive CF OG

Thanks, but no thanks, Mr. West.

16. RocDreamer

RocDreamer Contributing Member

No thanks. Memphis would not want to clog up their frontcourt any more than it already is. Cat is better than people give him credit for.

17. Newgirl

Newgirl Member

LOL. Memphis can get way more from Wesley Person's and Brevin Knight's expiring contracts (if they decide to trade) than those Rockets scrubs and their long-term contracts.

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

That trade makes no sense at all for Memphis.

But anyway, even if it did, trading Mobley within the division would probably be a bad idea, I have a feeling he would destroy us every single time he played us out of revenge.

19. Dani

Dani Member

Don't trade Mo, he's our best post up player

20. University Blue

I am opposed to any trade with Memphis that does not include Jason Williams coming to Houston.

University (Representing) Blue