1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade Proposal: Could the LA Clippers Trade for Houston's P.J. Tucker?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clips/Roxfan, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

Could the LA Clippers Trade for Houston's P.J. Tucker?
    The Houston Rockets are reportedly shopping veteran forward P.J. Tucker. Could the LA Clippers get in the mix?
    GARRETT CHORPENNING
    2 HOURS AGO

As teams, the LA Clippers and Houston Rockets couldn't be any further apart than they are right now. The Clippers, now in year two of the Kawhi Leonard and Paul George partnership, are in prime position to contend for an NBA title. On the other hand, the Rockets have moved on from both Russell Westbrook and James Harden in the past month and a half and appear to be heading toward a rebuild.

With that, a good chunk of Houston's roster may be available for trade. Obviously, guys like John Wall, Victor Oladipo, and Christian Wood are off the table, but there are more than a few role players who could add a little extra value to a contender like the Clippers.

One such player is P.J. Tucker, a three-and-D big/forward hybrid known for his toughness and defensive versatility. He'd been involved in trade rumors before the 2020-21 season began, and those have only persisted in the wake of Houston's four-team deal that sent Harden to the Brooklyn Nets.

According to The Ringer's Kevin O'Connor, several teams have already inquired about Tucker's availability in the wake of the Harden trade, and Houston is currently seeking three second-round picks in return.

The Clippers have more than enough second-rounders available to satisfy Houston's demands, but could a Tucker trade really go down?

In short, probably not. But let's talk about why.

For starters, the Clippers can't trade only the three second-round picks in exchange for Tucker. LA cannot take on his roughly $8 million salary without sending out close to equal value in return, meaning it'll need to include at least one player in the deal.

The most obvious play available to the Clippers is to trade Lou Williams for Tucker straight up, as that would satisfy the salary conditions, but there are a few reasons why this likely won't end up happening.

For starters, Houston has one of the most guard-heavy rosters in the league. In addition to Wall and Oladipo (the two starters), the Rockets still need to find minutes for Eric Gordon, Ben McLemore and Sterling Brown, who are currently earning over 20 per game.

Williams may well be the best player of the bench guards, but it seems more likely that Houston would prefer to return a forward or a big, as they'd be down a starter in Tucker.

Dealing Williams makes more sense for the Clippers, as the franchise recently re-signed Marcus Morris Sr. and brought in Luke Kennard, who pack plenty of punch on offense with the second unit. The team seems especially keen on developing Kennard's ability as a facilitator as well, which interferes a bit with Williams' role. The defense is the main area of concern for the bench right now, which Tucker would shore up.

That said, Williams has long been an integral piece of LA's core. Not only is he well-regarded in the locker room, but the front office has thrown him a few bones over the years as well. Trading him back to Houston after he's said the Clippers are his last stop would be a cruel move.

LA does have a few other options to explore, but none of them seem as likely. For example, the Clippers could try to deal a package of young assets including Mfiondu Kabengele and Terance Mann to Houston, but a few additional role players — like Reggie Jackson and Patrick Patterson — would need to be thrown in to make the money work. There's also the possibility that the Clippers engage other teams in a multi-team deal with Houston, but the number of moving pieces involved makes it tough to project how it would work out.

The idea of adding Tucker to the Clippers is nice, and his style of play and positional versatility would likely make him a near-perfect fit with the roster. If the opportunity presents itself, LA should jump on it. However, it just doesn't seem like there's a clear path to striking a deal unless the franchise is able to bring a few additional teams into the mix and part with key role players in the process.

Could the LA Clippers Trade for Houston's P.J. Tucker? - Sports Illustrated LA Clippers News, Analysis and More

-----------------------------------------------

My Trade Proposal: Three team trade

NBA Trade Machine – ESPN

Knicks get Lou Williams as a sixth man bench scorer
    Clippers get PJ Tucker
    Rockets get Mfiondu Kabengele and three second round picks: one second pick via the Clippers and two second round picks via the Knicks--Thus, the Rockets get three second picks, a young player, and save Tilman Fertitta a whole lot of money

2. treyk3

treyk3 Member

no.

PJ Tucker isn't going anywhere without a FRP or a high end youngster worth a FRP coming back.

I don't care what the media says. The trade deadline is 2 months away. A team will get desperate.

3. DCHAMP

DCHAMP Member

i rlly find it hard to believe one of these playoffs teams looking to make a playoff run wont offer a lottery protected first rounder

4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Yeah a few more 0 point games should put the asking price over the top.

i kid i kid Tucker is the new Battier and kinda new Ariza

Drogba, AXG and BigShasta like this.
  5. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

Well it all depends on what a team would value more. A late first round pick or three high second round picks. One first round pick from a contender in the late teens and twenties or three second round picks in the early thirties.

NBA Future Drafts Detailed - RealGM

Both the Knicks and Clippers have future second round picks from the Pistons which are likely to be very high second rounders in the early to mid thirties. The Knicks also have future second rounders from other crappy teams like the Twolves.

Neither one is a terrible deal....

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

PJ's value will go up along with Oladipo and Ben Mac/vice versa. Rockets have got to get one good young player for the future and a good FRP with few conditions.
    @ApacheWarrior @D-rock

ApacheWarrior and D-rock like this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets never asked for 3 second round picks. The original report (from a single reporter) was that the current value of Tucker was 3 second rounders.

The Rockets are not taking any salary for next year in a deal for Tucker unless it is a young player the Rockets want under a rookie contract.

JumpMan, Ramo$e, treyk3 and 2 others like this.
  8. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Not sure about good FRP if going to a contender. Probably late first rounder. Doubt a non playoff team
    taking Tucker expiring contract for first round pick if the goal is just to decrease payroll.

I need Tucker defense to get better because he probably gives a team 5 points.....it’s his defense that a contender
    wants. His on/off where the opponent ORtg is around 118 while Tucker is on the court and around 97 when
    Tucker sits is troubling. Contender doesn’t want a turnpike on defense that puts up little to no Pts.

Rockets will take best offer available for Dipo. Like you, I wouldn’t hold my breath on Ainge or Riley giving up
    much for Oladipo. Celtics and Heat need to get better to overtake Nets/Bucks; but Ainge and Riley would rather
    fall short than give up talent or potential for Dipo.

raining threes and saleem like this.
  9. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

PJ is a valuable asset. I don't think the Rockets are going to tank, so they should field the most exciting team they can this year so free agents will sign in the future.

If the most exciting team is one with PJ on it, then keep him - he can also teach. If someone offers a more exciting player (youth & potential for experience & reliability), then take it.

Accumulating semi-valuable draft picks that aren't great trade pieces doesn't seem to help us that much. Everyone wants to play in LA, so Houston needs to be an attractive destination. Players don't look at how many second round draft picks a team has in their back pocket.

RudyTBag likes this.
  10. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

The flip side is that Stone sends him to a contender that he really likes to help shake Morey's reputation as an "asset" guy. They already sent Harden to his preferred destination, which is counter to Morey's rep. Maybe they'll do the same for PJ.

Morey's reputation hurt us in free agent signings.

hakeem94 and hakeemthagreat like this.
  11. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Stopped reading when I read Oladipo and Wall are off the table. They both are especially on the table, with likely no takers for Wall, plenty for Oladipo.

BigShasta and arabrocket like this.
  12. saleem

A very good post, my friend. I wish we could get OGA and a late first rounder from the Raptors for Dipo and Ben Mac. Expiring contracts are also making things harder for the Rockets to get a good deal in this case.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  13. HardenVolumeOne

pj tucker might be one of the most overrated players i have seen in quite some time watching the nba over the years and thats saying something. Their are players all over the NBA that can give you what pj tucker gives you for the minimum. Look at paschall for the warriors or unsigned justin anderson for example. If a team is willing to give up a first for a 36 year old PJ Tucker, then the rockets shouldnt try to be greedy and just take that offer.

AXG likes this.
  14. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes unfortunately the Heat are currently ranked 12th in the East and Raptors are 13th.

Knicks are just 2.5 games out of top seed in the East, though.

Desperation is the thing that drives the price up for Dipo. Being close to the top teams but needing a little something-something to get them over the hump. How much is it for a rental that might help you win a championship.
    Riley and Ainge don’t value that much.

Tucker
    vs Spurs was DRtg 115
    followed by vs Spurs DRtg 110
    then vs Bulls was DRtg of 122.
    Currently Opponents have an ORtg of 116.7 when Tucker is on the court.

Just had to make that correction. So better than the 118 (stated earlier).

Fan of when you post comments saleem. Don’t lose your passion, my friend.

saleem likes this.
  15. thephatp

thephatp Contributing Member

I edited the article to make it efficient.

I'm tired of journalists writing headlines as if there is some real content, posing a question to get hopes up (or rather clicks) only to answer with a "nah, not really, won't happen, but just figured I'd bring it up in case you need to kill some time." :rolleyes: Shame on me for falling for it.

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

well I like tucker and watched him at UT a few times. I think he was absolutely great 2 years ago. But a 1st round pick for him now I dunno that sounds very very hopeful to me. I do believe he shooting great from 3 though.

17. saleem

Thanks bud. Luck favors the brave, but will TF/PF step up to the plate?

18. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Not sure. Either way Tilman/Pat win......expiring contracts of Tucker, Oladipo, McLemore, Nwaba, Sterling B, Cousins,
    Exum all work in the favor of management as cap clearance. Quick rebuild thru free agency.

Or

Trade each and every one of them for best deal available. Fire sale. Which also results in a quick rebuild thru free agency.
    —————————————-

All the players mentioned above coming off the books plus cutting Clemons brings the Rockets team payroll down
    to $85M on around 7 players: Wall, Tate, Wood, House, Kurucs, Eric Gordon, K Martin.

Pay Mason Jones a few bucks bringing the payroll back up to $87M and the Fertita’s are happy with the thought that
    they almost got C Wood for $10M and Nerlens Noel for around $5M this past offseason. They will fill out the roster
    just fine around this core group of players.

Maybe even Oladipo stays and Wall gets traded.......who knows? Stranger things have happened.

All players seem to really like coach Silas.

Edited: and Team Option on Kurucs and non guaranteed contract on K Martin next season.

#18 ApacheWarrior, Jan 20, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    saleem likes this.
  19. saleem

The only eastern contender who may really want Oladipo are the Bucks, but they don't have anything to offer us at all. Portis is a more muscular version of Wood. Strong on offense, weak on defense/rebounding. We don't need him throwing punches in the locker room.

20. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I still say watch the Knicks. They are desperate to make some noise this season andt really could take a chance
    on a rental in Oladipo because they need some more pop in scoring. Consistency.

Knicks almost dealt for Dipo in the offseason....and like L.A. they think they can convince any player to stay. I’m not
    saying anything more than picks back.

I can see Tilman attaching 2 first rounders (and maybe some 2nd rounders) to John Wall and shipping him
    out to clear an additional $44M. Perhaps in the offseason.
    ————————-

Clearing Wall allows the team to pursue K Lowry (UFA). Nerlens is a free agent again this summer....knocking heads with Thibs this season.

Two players I think fit the Silas system well:
    Olynyk is 29 mins...scoring 11 points....can shoot some 3’s....& pass the ball. Kind of out of the mold of Silas/Mavs crew.

The other to watch is Memphis UFA Gorgui Dieng.....17 min......8 pts.....44% from 3 in 10 games on 11/25 attempts.
    Problem is he is 31 and how much money will he want? He has been overpaid to this point. But like C Wood his
    36-min projection would be impressive. Maybe a one year contract can be arranged if say Wall and his $44M moved.

Wood and Dieng together would be insane.

Edited: pick up Georges Niang as well. Have the Dieng Niang lineup.

#20 ApacheWarrior, Jan 20, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    saleem likes this.