1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

trade - manny for carlos?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by geeimsobored, Oct 20, 2005.

1. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Member

Man I wonder what wouldve happened if this went down..

Anaheim tops Ramirez's trade list
    By Peter Gammons
    Special to ESPN.com

The Red Sox did throw out the idea of a Manny Ramirez-Carlos Beltran deal in July, but it was on the weekend of the trading deadline after Ramirez had ask to be traded.

The Mets rejected the idea, and GMs Omar Minaya and Theo Epstein tried to construct two-, three-, and four-way deals -- none of which worked. "The ironic thing is that by the end of the weekend, Manny said he would not go to the Mets," says Ramirez's agent Greg Genske of Legacy Sports Group. "I know people have speculated about Pedro [Martinez] and his influence, but Manny does not want to be traded to the Mets."

And, anyway, the Red Sox say they have not offered the superstar outfielder to the Mets -- or anyone -- as of now. Genske plans to meet with Boston owner John Henry next week in Florida, and after that meeting some determination will be made on whether Ramirez will repeat his July request to be traded, or the team will see what it can get on the market, with the knowledge that as a 10-5 player, Ramirez can veto any deal.

If Ramirez does request to be traded, Genske says "his preference would be Anaheim. He also still loves Cleveland, and would go back there." Another possibility would be Arizona, if Boston would take some of the contracts the Diamondbacks are trying to move, including Troy Glaus and Luis Gonzalez. Texas was in play at the deadline.

The problem is that if the Red Sox baseball operations had their way, the only way Ramirez would be traded is if they could restock themselves with a young corner outfielder, a center fielder and pitching. Their feeling is that with so much money floating around the industry and so few free quality free agents, Ramirez's contract -- three years remaining at a present-day value of slightly more than $17 million -- will not be that bad come spring training. Also, while Ramirez is unpredictable and sometimes had hustle lapses, he has played 150 or more games three straight seasons, bettered in Red Sox history by only Frank Malzone (7), Carl Yastrzemski (5), Jim Rice and Dwight Evans (4 each).

2. magnetik

magnetik Member

Yeah.. I just read that... man.. the Mets were STUPID for turning that deal down.

3. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Member

I thought one of the last minute "deal breakers" in signing Carlos to the Astros was a no-trade clause. Didn't he get one in NY?

4. rezdawg

rezdawg Member

wow...you may be onto something. I remember hearing Beltran's name in trades during the season, but I never put together the fact that he supposedly had a "no-trade clause".

5. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

God, that would have been such an idiotic trade. If that deal had gone down, I think I would have started rooting for another team.

6. twoface723

twoface723 Member

Manny>>>>>Beltran.

7. Uprising

Uprising Member

duh.

so it seems it may have not gone down this season because of Carlos, since he did get his no trade clause right?

8. DieHard Rocket

Man...how funny would that have been to see Beltran get shipped to Boston after all that crap about him choosing NY because of the Puerto Rican culture, and seeing Omar Minaya deal him off after all that pursuit.