1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade Jameer Nelson for JLin or PBev?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DOLPHIN2k2, Nov 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Member

That's how I imagine all the pre 2006 CF'ers look

2. cn0gd

cn0gd Member

that one cost them the only chance to win the title since they enter the league? only in their dreams.

3. DOLPHIN2k2

DOLPHIN2k2 Member

I did not say that the BR article specifically mention JN for JLin or PBev. Just that they are looking to unload JN which lends support the trade scenario I described in the title.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

5. DOLPHIN2k2

DOLPHIN2k2 Member

One consideration would be to free up Asik and JLin's salary for a star PF which is considered all along after DH came.

6. Jeffey

Jeffey Member

Oladipo and we'll talk!

7. mastathor

mastathor Rookie

If Orlando Magic wants Jeremy Lin and they're willing to support Jeremy Lin and brings out his true potential then I say let the trade deal begin. In Houston, only the owner wants Jeremy Lin. Patrick Beverly can stay in Houston. No need to move him anywhere.

8. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

How is that going to free up money when Nelson is going to make $8,600,000 next year, and Lin is only going to count $8,000,000 against the cap? Why would the Magic who just got Victor Oladipo want Lin? They want draft picks not a new $8 million dollar back up PG.

9. DOLPHIN2k2

DOLPHIN2k2 Member

The last year of JN's contract is only partially guaranteed.

10. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

So you want us to trade for a guy then waive him?!?

Stop trolling!

11. xiki

xiki Member

I am not saying Morey went to the Magic org and asked for the trade, in fact, it was the other way around.

There is no "in fact". Light, sill conjecture and "in fact" are oxymoronic, silly, and worth a lock.

12. Beverley

Beverley Member

Nelson knows how to play with Howard
    and will bring a lot of leadership and experience to the team.

I think it's a good trade.

13. DOLPHIN2k2

DOLPHIN2k2 Member

Not sure what you mean. I am emphasizing that it was ORL that wanted to trade JN for JLin or PBev. Morey did not call ORL for this trade. How is that an oxymoron?

14. DOLPHIN2k2

DOLPHIN2k2 Member

I never said that HOU would waive JN right away. He will finish out this year and depending on his contract next year (partially guaranteed), he maybe much easier to trade as an expiring or at least make it possible to trade Asik for a star PF from a cap room perspective.

Given that HOU thinks PBev and JLin can contribute equally, why does it not make sense to free up a redundant pg with 8.3 mm cap room hit next year when you are trying to get a star PF. Remember, the understanding is that it is much harder to move JLin's contract than Asik's so Morey may not have many options.

How is this trolling?

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

People are taking "be the Magic 2.0" a little too serious. ;)

No, we/I don't want Hedo Turkoglu or Jameer Nelson.

What's next, you're gonna offer the Heat Chandler Parsons for Rashard Lewis? And fire McHale for Stan? (Okay, people would like that.) Fire Morey for Otis Smith? Trade Asik for Gortat? rocketsfanslovegortat@gmail.com

BTW, this was started from Marc Stein, that the Magic were looking to move Nelson. (NOT for Lin or Beverley)

16. MrSabotage

MrSabotage Member

Why the hell would someone give a first round pick for jameer Nelson. Magic are dreaming on that one

17. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

You do not seem very knowledgeable if you think a washed up Jameer Nelson is better than Lin....

18. davidio840

davidio840 Member

What a stupid thread and idea.

19. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

OP, aka. Dolphin2k2, I'll try to be nice here, however you really asked to be flamed at CF.

On topic:

Look at Morey's history of managing the rockets, and also his moneyball approach. He always looks at true value, and trading a player for top value.

Take the $$$ out of it and look at Lin's value vs. JN on the court. Does Morey's previous habits indicate that he would even entertain the idea of swapping to 2 players around? From a purely analytics perspective, JN is a horrible PG. Hi TO's, low FG%, lot's of mid-range jumpers. There is nothing about his game that says he is a Morey type of guy.

Back to my previous point, JN is not top dollar value for Lin. Even if it were true than the trade would clear enough cap space... it is not in Morey's nature to go after this sort of opportunity.

Now bring the $$$ back into it. Lin is only an $8M cap hit. Can JN's partially guaranteed contract really save enough for a top PF? I don't think so.

Another thing, you made this thread with the assumption than Lin was a $15M cap hit next year. Under this assumption, I could forgive you for thinking the trade works for our finances. The problem is, once you were made aware of the truth, you continued to defend your position which was based on false information that I am nicely giving you the benefit of the doubt over and saying it's not your fault in bringing this thread up in the first place.

One last point, you yourself said that the source you were quoting actually mentioned nothing of the trade you are proposing and that your ideas are purely your own conjecture based on a little information of JN. Considering that the world of CF is giving you information as to why your proposal just doesn't work (admittedly in a mean way), how can you keep defending the point now that you have all these counter arguments that just seem to make so much sense?

20. DOLPHIN2k2

DOLPHIN2k2 Member

I started the thread on the premise that while this was a bad idea given our recent wins, it is not without possibility. Remember, HOU want to trade away Asik and JLin for a star PF next year and JLin's contract is hard to move. With JN only guranteed 2 mm next year, HOU would have enough room for the star PF they wanted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.