1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade Francis?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JDuBb, Feb 12, 2004.

1. JDuBb

JDuBb Member

I havent been on this board for quite a while. Since the rumors are flying all around to trade Steve Francis away, I decided to see whats really up the true Houston Rockets fans. I saw the results of the poll, and majority of y'all want Francis gone? I find that hard to believe. Ive been saying this for the longest time, Francis isnt a point guard, He is a 2guard and should be moved ASAP. Trade him for one rough half season with a TOTALLY new coach with a unique style that Francis is having a hard time adjusting to? Doesn't the "Franchise" deserve a little more time?

Lets go on to todays game now, what a way to silent the critics and trade rumors with one of his BEST games in the career. National TV, Lights, Camera, everything was on him. game before All Star game, all the hype, drama going around and he goes out and plays his ass off. He basically had GP on skates all night and shot what 9-11? When the lights are out, Stevie comes to play. Look at the track record. Trade Francis? Reconsider? Hmmmmmm.......

2. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

I heard he broke ankles on a sick crossover... man I wish I'd seen it!

Like I said in the game thread...

Trade who???

3. couch_pot8o

couch_pot8o Contributing Member

man, every steve hater ate crow tonight. when i saw him broke gp's ankles, i was like, DAAAMMMNNNN!!! one of the top defenders in the 50 greatest players got served with a killer crossover by stevie. but what really made it so sweet was coz i was beside alot of lakers fan (coz i moved here in l.a.).. if you only saw their faces. :D

4. yaopao

yaopao Contributing Member

Not really. Being a self-professed "Steve hater" I will say that 1 regular season game doesn't really erase the past, or change the present of what I think of him.

If he plays like this 2 out of 3 games or whatever, then your post has legs.

What is sad is how the Steve "lovers" use this 1 game as their defense against the Steve "haters". Give me a playoff series victory, and I will never bash Francis again.

5. IROC it

Like you think 1 great game vs. Shaq makes everyone that bashes Yao stop?

2 way street.

I'm a ROF myself when it comes to the NBA.

Rockets Only Fan.

And I own merchandise with "Yao 11" on it... but no SF. Go figure.

Doesn't it occur to you that if SF gets a ring as a Rocket - much less a playoff series victory, given that the current roster stays the same, with Yao, then Yao will get one too?

Sounds like teams win rings, not individuals.

Why is it so hard to root for the whole team? Not the coach. Not one player. But all of the players as a team.

#5 IROC it, Feb 12, 2004
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2004
  6. couch_pot8o

couch_pot8o Contributing Member

i agree on you on that one. if he will just continue this consistently, then we might have a different topic. i really wish so bad that he will do this on a nightly basis. and to make it all straight, im not a sof. i am a steve fan, but not an obssesed steve-only-fan that some of the guys here have mistaken me of. im a rockets fan ever since i knew basketball (( which is around 1990, i was 6 yrs old at that time )) and with steve having an outstanding game like this, means more wins for the rockets, and that's what's more important to me than seeing steve haters eat crow and steve fixin all he did wrong in the past.

7. IROC it

BTW - So did Yao haters, and Cat haters..... :D I think that's the first time in history that one could say that!!!

An all around good night to be a Rockets Only Fan!

8. GRAYsquirrel

GRAYsquirrel Member

Actually, if one were to pursue the whole JVG showcasing Francis to trade him theory, this game was perfect for that. National TV, excellent stats, smart play and leadership, and right before the all-star game (validating him being an all-star after people said he didn't deserve his spot).

And of course, right before the trade deadline. I'm sure many trade deals are made during the break, so Steve Francis' performance tonight will be the last impression people have of him before the trade deadline. I think tonight his trade value went up significantly. Coincidence? or are the wheels of trade starting to turn...

9. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

I use to be one of Steve's biggest defenders on this board but I still think one good game doesn't undo all the wrong that he did in the past few month. Every bodyhas a good game now and then, even Sam Mack has above 30 point games every now and then.

Though he has played argubably back to an all star games in the last 6 games, if the right deal came along I would still trade him, not because I don't like him, I love Steve. It's just that I'm starting to believe that it will be hard for him to co -exist with Yao. There's an old Chinese saying "one mountain can't hold two tigers", basically the town aint big enough for both of us.

By the same token, I wouldn't mind Yao being traded if the right deal came along either, I just really don't believe either can play up to their potential on the same team when it seem that they force to comply to each other's games (i.e. Francis having to play with the ball out of hands now, taking away his ability to attack the basket, or Yao playing with a more established star looking to defer before he makes a move to the basket).

But for tonight, let's just enjoy both of them playing up to their potential together and hope they can jell, or if we make a trade don't work, think of this game as what could've been.

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Did anybody notice that Francis has been playing noticably better since JVG kind of called him out publicly and gave him the suspension?

Let's hope the effect lasts!!!!

11. mos-def

mos-def Member

you guys just don't know.

spree was poison when he came to the knicks, and jvg got him to the finals. steve is NOWAY as bad a problem as ol' chokie. everything will be fine. there is always growing pains. its van gundys style.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!!

I have been waiting on this one

Rocket River
    . . . feeling like Nostrodamus
    :D

13. buddry

buddry Member

I think he started it doing it a game or 2 before that, but the suspension certainly didn't hurt.

14. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Francis + Mobley = T-Mac

15. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Look, Steve and Yao have proven that they're not compatible long term. It's not that either one is better than the other, it's the way they work together...A point guard that dominates the ball is simply a terrible fit with a center that needs touches. Yao will never realize his full potential with Steve at the point, and one must go. Unfortunately, it's Steve...

16. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

You are a hater, you must not have watched the past 4 season with the exception of the migrane season. Steve has put up RIDICULOUS numbers!!!!!!! He and Garnett are the only players to average 20 + PPG, 6+ APG, 6 + RBG.....He is having a subpar half season and you people want to trade him? That would be a grave mistake...PLEASE DON"T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. drapg

drapg Member

I know I'll live to regret this self promotion... but:

Trade Francis.

18. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Actually, he has averaged 20.5 / 6 asst over his last 6. He is playing much more efficeiently. His shot is starting to fall. I was one that, while he is my favorite player, said he should probably be traded. I wondered if this team would ever go anywhere with Steve at the 1. After the last 6 games (not including the Suns game) I believe that this team can and will go somewhere with Stevie Franchise at the point. When his shot falls, everything else seems to happen so much easier. Defenders can't sit back and play the passing lane. They are starting to have to respect his shot again.

I think it is all coming together, slowly but surely. Now, if they can just put this game together everynight against the Spurs, Mavs, T-Wolves, Grizz...well, let's just say the rest of the Western Conference.

19. GB_Rocket

GB_Rocket Contributing Member

I got as far as this...

" Francis' behavior of late has degenerated to detrimental levels that would make even Dennis Rodman cringe."

..burst out laughing and closed the window. Hope you didn't write that tripe.

20. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

dude, this is the whole problem with francis and his admirers. gettin' all "swole up" about "broken ankles" and the look on the opponents faces as they get "dogged." you are overlooking the team concept in favor of flash. barkley and magic were just discussing this problem on TNT the other night. it's all about style points nowadays. i want a team-first point guard. we can get that and lot more substance if we trade steve's pizzazz. and i won't be eating any crow. i want steve to do well if we don't trade him because i am a rockets only fan.