1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade Exception, hold it? Chron article

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Jan 4, 2004.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Link

Rockets must lock up trade exception
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle
    With the loss so fresh that Jeff Van Gundy could not or did not hide his frustration, he was asked if he could solve the Rockets' problems without changing personnel.

There was no way he could answer then, knowing he probably had to do both but unwilling to announce a change was needed before he knew if there would be one. A day later, the change came, with popular guard Moochie Norris shipped to New York to bring in some burly rebounding help in the form of Clarence Weatherspoon.

But with that deal made, the Rockets did not announce playoff tickets were being printed.

The Rockets made their move, and the league's trading season will begin Monday, the first day to sign players to 10-day contracts, through Feb. 19, the trade deadline.

But while the rumors begin flying, with many predicting a particularly active trading season (all the coaching changes since last season would seem to lead to a rush of trades in the next six weeks), the Rockets need to resist at least one huge temptation.

That trade exception, the one acquired in the Glen Rice deal worth $6.9 million? Forget it. Lock it in a drawer. Put it in a time capsule until July.

It will be a nice toy when there are deals to be made. Send a future protected pick and the exception somewhere and the Rockets could pick up as much as a $6.9 million-plus player and take nothing off their roster.

But next summer, when free agents expecting to strike it rich are shocked to find only midlevel exception offers (expected to start at most at $5 million), the Rockets will have more to offer in a sign-and-trade deal using that exception stuck in Carroll Dawson's desk drawer. The threat of a luxury tax will have been lifted. The Rockets can shop with money burning a hole in their pockets.

Want a physical big man? Carlos Boozer? Etan Thomas? With a little luck, Jamaal Magliore? Need a power forward with shooting range? Mehmet Okur? Hedo Turkoglu? How about a true small forward? Morris Peterson? Desmond Mason? Help in the backcourt? Brent Barry? Kenny Anderson? Maybe even Quentin Richardson?

There might be a few teams now willing to give up talent for nothing but next summer's cap space. But save the exception for a free agent sign-and-trade, and the Rockets can spend more than anyone but a few teams to carve out cap room.

The phone lines will be lighting up in the next six weeks. Last week's deal is a reminder the Rockets are ready to move. They might use that trade exception, but they know -- and need to remember when tempted -- how valuable it could become next summer.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VERY INTERESTING, seems ole CD knew what he was doing after all.

DD

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Maybe the team is using this year to evaluate their needs, and will get someone in July that will fill the PF hole..

DD

3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

4. Man

Man Contributing Member

5. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

I guess we have an idea of the players we are looking to acquire from this article. I say, stay away from players that are on teams that are perennial losers. (unless it is Brand) :) They just do not know how to win!

6. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

You gotta know when to hold it....

I don't think we'll make anymore trades... if we do it will be a big trade.

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I'd love to get Boozer. CD would be redeemed if he can manage to pull that off ;).

Oh, and if Sane and The Freak read this, sorry for my tone in the other threads last night. I was grumpy :D.

8. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Desmon Mason and Jamaal Magliore are free agents? On realgm it says they each have 3 years remaining.

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Quinti Richardson would be a nice pickup next year.

10. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

I wonder if they plan on giving ticket holders an evaluation discount? You may be right, but that would be a sad testament to the way profesional sports team owners treat their fans.

11. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

I think it was just a list of good free agents.... nothing that was based on evidence from the Rockets.

12. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Boozer is kind of a Mo Taylor clone.

All of these players are nice role players but this team really needs an impact PF if they want to get anywhere in the West.

13. Raven

Raven Member

The Rockets need two players in order to become serious contenders.

If they can acquire these players without giving up YM or SF, they should become the next dynasty after LA starts to fade.

1. Bruising tough as nails PF who can rebound, play hard D, and make the occasional jumper. A guy who can run the floor well.

2. Tall (6'5" plus) guard who can pass and play solid D.

Neither of these players have to be superstars, but both need to be in the same age range as YM and SF, preferably between 23 and 28 years old.

Healthy level headed personality and complete lack of gangster image also needed.

Raven

14. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I think a trade should still be made if it means relieving the Rockets of more capspace on overplayed underachieving players (i.e Weatherspoon contract. Judging from Knick fans this guy is just as bad to them as Moochie was to us.) It doesn't mean we should give up good players just to get rid of a bad contract but by all means relieve more capspace if possible. I'd absolutely love to get a guy like Okur. He'd be just what the doctor ordered just as much as Turkoglu would be a nice addition. Okur can hit from the perimeter, has a good inside game, can play off the dribble, actually D's decently, and is just going to improve. Turkoglu is much of the same. Another big bodied guy that can play multiple positions for the Rockets. His best year was when the Kings went to the WCF against the Lakers and lost, and hasn't really had a great year since but I like his upside. Boozer would be a nice addition as well, but he reminds me of Kevin Willis in that he looks like he has a strong solid frame but small arms for his size. I'm more in favor of adding height and versatility to this team with guys like Okur and Turkoglu than guys like Boozer who would be undersized in the Western Conference.

15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I think Boozer is a much better rebounder than Mo Taylor. If using the trade exception as outlined by Feigen is the plan, my wish list would be to sign Boozer using that and to sign Brent Barry using the midlevel exception.

We'd have a pretty good team then - perhaps even a title contender, depending on Yao's (and Francis') progress:

PG: Francis, Barry, Wilks
    SG: Mobley, Barry, Piatkowski
    SF: Jim Jackson, Piatkowski, Boki
    PF: Boozer, Mo Taylor
    C: Ming, Cato

16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

The one thing I would still want to add then would be a tall, sweet-shooting small forward.

17. sums41

sums41 Contributing Member

This has got to be the feel good article abour the rockets that i have been waiting for, Okur, Richardson, Barry, and the other nice players listed are all posibilities, oh man, that felt good.

18. Porsche576

Porsche576 Member

Boozer would be a nice addition.

19. sup123

sup123 Member

Rasheed Wallace...who cares about what he says, as long as he comes to play ball its all good.

20. dfoolz

dfoolz Member

I have wanted them to use it since they got it but I think we should wait because the payoff will be greater! The guys on the list are good players but if we play our cards right and teams get desperate we could land a GREAT player.;)