1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade Ensberg now or wait until his stock goes up?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Brando2101, May 19, 2007.

1. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Two scrub relievers we turned around and cut.

2. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Not much.

I don't care what we do with Morgan, as long as he isn't on the field (though I like his defense)

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Wow, for some reason, I thought we got our current closer in that trade. I was wrong. :)

4. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You were wrong . We got David Weathers and Jeremy Griffiths.

(The Wheeler trade was flat out awesome: We got him for Adam Seuss, who I think is no longer in baseball and never made it to the big leagues)

Edit: Seuss was actually released by the Mets at the end of the year and the Astros picked him back up....and to the best of my googling, released him a year later in part due to an over the counter supplements debacle.

#24 NIKEstrad, May 21, 2007
    Last edited: May 21, 2007
  5. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

If we're gonna continue to pretend we have a winning future with Everett, Ausmus, Scott, and Burke in the field, i see no reason why we should trade Ensberg unless management will raise the white flag and go all out rebuilding. He is stinking but has a better track record and more potential than all of the above. Biggio is at least a ticket attraction and memories of better days at this point. :eek:

6. Buck Turgidson

Wheeler requested the trade, and both teams accommodated him. His mother in law was very sick at the time & was hospitalized in Houston. Worked out great, but it's not exactly a feather in Gerry's cap.

7. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Any thoughts of Ensberg getting his stock back up are false hopes, IMO. To me, it seems clear that he won't be returning to his near-MVP form at any point in the near or distant future.

YR/AVG/OPS
    03/.291/.907
    04/.275/.741
    05/.283/.945
    06/.235/.859
    07/.214/.642

His 36 HR, 101 RBI season was great and all, but he's never had as many as 70 RBI before or since that season. It was a fluke. I could be wrong as anything, but I just don't seem him getting back to that level.

Evan

8. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I've been a big proponent of Mo, but man, this guys doesn't get it...And I don't think he will...Have one good season, ala Hidalgo, and bam, nothing...

Trade him and Jason Lane...

9. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

SPLASH!

6/17/04 Traded OF Richard Hidalgo to the New York Mets for RHP David Weathers and RHP Jeremy Griffiths.

10. rterry

rterry Contributing Member

You can't trade his 5M only waive him. I don't see any reason to waive him, because you will just eat the salary. Twice recently in the pinch hit role he hit two shots that were just barely foul only to strike out looking. You can look at that as a good sign or a bad sign. I still think he might make a come back. So at the very least, we should give him until the trade deadline to turn it around enough for some team to take a gamble (and then trade his inconsistent ass). If he doesn't have it by then and you need the roster spot let him go.

11. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

If we send him down to the minors doesn't another team get the option to pick him up and take his salary? If so they astros need to explore that option, if no one picks him up at least he can work on his game in the minors.

12. msn

msn Member

That's valuable AAA space to spend on a guy who won't take his bat off his shoulder.

13. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

so someone more producitve can take his roster space.

he and woody williams should be reaching the end of their ropes soon, if not already.

14. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Okay, we can send him to rookie ball.

15. rterry

We have plenty of room to make on the roster, just no one to make it for. We have Ensberg, Lane, Moehler, Palmeiro, Albers, Williams, Ausmus, Everette, and Biggio. We have no one left in the minors except Burke. The only reason to send him to the minors is in the hope someone else will pick him up on waivers and save us the cash.

16. msn

msn Member

How's your rotisserie team faring this season?

17. rterry

Don't get it. Won my Bball league.

18. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

Ensberg one goood year was just like Richard Hidaglo's when he hit 49hrs ....... BOTH SUCKS!!!

19. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

It's interesting to me how many of the people who are so quick to jump on Ensberg are the same people who defend Everett/Ausmus. Ensberg's got a career .846 OPS and is much, much better defensively than the other options we have at 3B. I understand Everett is an outstanding defender playing a more important defensive position, but he's also got a career OPS almost .200 below Ensberg. Is there no room for belief in a guy who's the only player on the roster with the potential to provide both good offense and defense at 3rd? Is defense valuable at one position but completely discounted at another? He's notoriously streaky, he could turn it around after a slow start. Frankly, I think this team needs Ensberg playing well to win anything this season. Over the course of about 2000 career ABs each, Ensberg has far more homers, more RBI, and a higher OPS than Lamb, not to mention the extreme defensive differences.

The 70 RBI argument is a misnomer. He's never gotten more than 411 ABs in any season except 2005. He would have been in the 80-85 RBI territory in 03, 04, and 06 if he got as many ABs as he did in 2005.

Look, I'd love to have a less injury prone, less streaky, more productive 3B than Morgan Ensberg. But that guy isn't on the roster.

20. Major

Major Member

Two things:

1. Ensberg's career OPS isn't that important given his extremes. He's been flat out terrible for a full year now - since June 1 of last year. There's nothing to suggest he will get back to the old Ensberg. Something tells me in the next month or so, we're going to learn about some new phantom injury he had like a sore pinky finger.

2. Everett/Ausmus are not hitting in the middle of the order. I'm sure if Everett was our #5 hitter, people would be calling for him to be replaced too. Ensberg was signed and expected to be a key middle of the order guy. If he's not doing that, he's worthless. Everett was signed to be a defensive wizard, not to be an offensive star.