1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Trade Deadline Thread 2022

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Bo6, Feb 6, 2022.

1. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Good luck on the tank. The real winner today was Silas. He has all his veterans to play to continue to try to win meaningless games.

2. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would've flipped 3 and 4 in terms of priority, but the rest is spot on. Thaddeus Young yielded a first! Caris Levert yielded a first and a high 2nd! CJ McCollum netted a Josh Hart, a first, and 4 2nds.

Dennis Schroeder will probably pull a Kelly Olynyk and recoup some value for his next contract. He and Wood can see who can put up emptier stats.

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Dennis Schroeder does that for you? Wth.

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  4. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Yes - a very strong argument!!

My read was that Cleveland was about the only place Gordon might be wanted. A veteran to help a rising young team. I think the Cavs got a better player for their scenario. Instead of giving away EGO for a 2nd, why not keep him as a veteran locker room presence. After the draft we probably want to aim for 25-30 wins next year, I think he'd help the young guys learn.

There is no reason he couldn't be sent to a contender in the off-season. He could also be matching salary for a star wanting a new home... if we strike gold with a top 3 pick....

Keep the options open if a 1st rounder wasn't available (IMHO) - there is just no reason to trade him. He is "injured" and could sit the rest of this season to recuperate anyway...

Nook likes this.
  5. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Not about Schroeder. This is about the veterans left on the team. Silas is happy.

6. Nook

Nook Member

The GM

Teams wanted him, just not for future #1's with limited protections on them.

You can believe me or not, but there were multiple teams that wanted Gordon for a 2022 #1 or early #2 and the Rockets passed and those teams found players elsewhere. The GM overplayed his hand.

I'm sure they were, but there was still interest in him. I would say that Gordon hasn't been that good defensively this year, but he is on a terrible team.

I respect your right to believe that, but there were offers.

Not me. The Rockets have enough young players needing minutes in Green, Nix, Porter, Sengun, Christopher, Tate, Garuba.... and then a lottery pick this season and another #1..... Matthews can be the 6th man.

Gordon needed to go.

7. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

Who is Bruno Fernando?

Is he an exciting young prospect steal that is going to totally redeem this FO? Any future Bruno Only Fans, or is he about to get cut?

raining threes and D-rock like this.
  8. cdastros

cdastros Member

This is just me speculating but the owners son wanted Green over Mobley. The glitz and glamor of filling Hardens shoes with Green was too appealing.

9. Nook

Nook Member

Stone is a politician.

10. CircaSurvive

CircaSurvive Member

I just can't buy there not being a market for these guys, the league is way too wide open right now for teams not to be looking for any little piece they can add to put them over the top.

raining threes likes this.
  11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Well, that remains to be seen, but outside of Eric Gordon, which veteran was getting a ton of minutes before the deadline? Or did you just want a team full of non-vets? I'm trying to figure out the fear of all of a sudden vets getting minutes when we just sent one away and you're saying it's not about Schroeder. DJ Augustin is gone. Maybe David Nwaba? Or are you saying you're afraid Gordon is going to be getting 30+ minutes? Maybe John Wall is going to be revived?

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Exactly.

And this is why I dislike him so much.

His politics and his position title is more important to him than fielding a champion.

Morey was obsessed with a championship.

Still is.

raining threes, YOLO and cdastros like this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

EXACTLY THIS^^^^

Rockets need as many long 2 way players as possible. The entire roster if possible.

And if you cannot draft a superstar to be the focal point to these complementary 2 way players (because we know Stone has shown to struggle here) then you find one in FA or trade.

I'm not confident that Stone has the ability to do any of these things.

14. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

On whether or not a 1st round pick was actually out there we can agree to disagree. This is the second season now where Stone tried to build up one of his assets to be worth more than he really is (Oladipo last year; Gordon and/or Wood this year) only to end up with crap. Maybe Stone saw how last year unfolded and thought that was a learning experience and held off on trades like you said. But this is holding onto a 33 year old shooting guard with a history of injuries whose value will not be any higher from a productivity standpoint.

15. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

At this point stone had to have told Silas wood and gorden are sitting or playing less minutes going forward?

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

"Winner" and "Stephen Silas" should never be in same sentence.

17. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

There was a market for EG stone wanted unprotected picks @Nook just told us this.

raining threes and D-rock like this.
  18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

2nd round pick out of Maryland by way of Angola - has some skills, is still developing.

Runs a very solid roll in the pnr.

DD

D-rock and mikenm268 like this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Morey's Rockets prior to Harden were not worst in NBA or franchise history either.

And Morey gets credit for bringing in Harden too.

Both Stone and Silas are historically bad at their jobs, that is fact.

20. Xopher

Xopher Member

Here lies your fundamental mistake. Teams want these players. They do not want them at the cost Stone was asking for them. That is an entirely different thing than teams not wanting them. You believe the Lakers wouldn't have been all over a straight up swap of Westbrook for Wall? You don't think another team would have wanted Gordon for 2 seconds?

CircaSurvive and D-rock like this.