1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade deadline needs and watch party

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by IdStrosfan, Jul 4, 2024.

1. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes

Havent read this thread but going back to Singleton, how we feeling about his recent creep up? .240 and .702 OPS (average)

2. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Singleton is a great story and OK player.

He also plays better the more reps he gets so is probably the best of all the current options to start regularly.

He has a high floor and low ceiling.

But his position is one with great potential for improvement and overall this lineup could use another star level bat.

He's a Chevy Malibu.
    Nothing wrong with that but if 1b is GM, you could go with a Cadillac or Corvette instead

raining threes and Rock Block like this.
  3. Rock Block

Malibu is a bit small, Singleton built like a station wagon.......

Having said that I would love to upgrade but I just dont see anyone worthy that we'd want to mortgage for.

4. raining threes

Vlad and Walker are out there and would be major upgrades.

What do you consider mortgaging the future.

5. Rock Block

You're not getting Vald for anything less then a haul, Lops comes to mind...I'm guessing he's our RF of the future, I want to keep him, We just have zip to offer, we're 27th or 28th in farm ranks....

6. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I saw a post on the biggest Astro facebook fan group saying that we should trade Singleton for G. Crochet so I read some comments saying "No way, that he has never heard of Crochet".

SMH

Htown Legend, Stephen66, IBTL and 2 others like this.
  7. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I am beginning to think there is no 1b upgrade out there.

The Mets and D'backs are actually playing well and improving their chances. Neither will sell if they have any chance at all.

Toronto's GM publicly said they will only be trading away rentals. That may be just to drive up the offers he gets, but that is still bad.

With the state of the Astros farm, there needs to be more supply, not less.

Maybe it's time to either focus on pitching, bringing in a TOR starter and another nasty leverage reliever?

If the team still needs a bat, it may end up having to be an OF/DH type. That could possibly move Yordan to DH or LF full time (at least majority of regular season starts and the post season) or could mean replacing Meyers if there is a better bat out there.

8. The Beard

The Beard Member

Arizona is 1 game out of a playoff spot just like we are

Coming off a WS appearance, I doubt they will trade us their stud 1B for prospects

the shark likes this.
  9. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Nationals, Marlins, Rockies, Rays, Blue Jays, Tigers, White Sox, Angels, and A's are all currently under 5% to make the postseason according to Baseball reference.

These are the bats who look like they could potentially be an upgrade to the lineup (120+ wRC+/OPS+ for the season and/or since June 1st). I'm going to just skip players who simply won't be traded.

Rentals
    Jesse Winker 132 / 164
    Ahmed Rosario 114 / 156
    Carson Kelly 109 / 139
    Kevin Pillar 131 / 54

Under control
    Lane Thomas 104 / 129
    Jesus Sanchez 100 /120
    Isaac Paredas 140 / 116
    Brandon Lowe 132 / 156
    Yandy Diaz 113 / 140
    Randy Arozerana 98 / 145
    Vlad Guerrero Jr. 129 / 128
    Isaiah Kiner-Falada 117 / 137
    Kerry Carpenter 151 / inj.
    Andrew Vaughn 92 / 135
    Luis Rengifo 127 / 104
    Willie Calhoun 114 / 136
    Brent Rooker 160 / 162

17 total candidates from 9 teams.
    Many of them are not sluggers or players suited for the middle of a lineup. Many are poor defenders or limited to positions already filled.

Some will have lots of offers and/or be very expensive in player/prospect cost.

10. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Here are the SP who could potentially be traded ( from those 9 teams) along w/ their ip/gs and xFIP for the season and since June 1st.

Rentals
    Trevor Williams 5.15 ip/gs - 3.91 / inj.
    Patrick Corbin 5.53 ip/gs - 4.43 / 4.08
    Yusei Kikuchi 5.33 ip/gs - 3.27 / 3.11
    Jack Flaherty 5.94 ip/gs - 2.50 / 3.48
    Chris Flexen 5.04 ip/gs - 5.00 / 4.95
    Ross Stripling 5.06 io/gs - 4.46 / inj (rehabbing)

Under control

Trevor Rogers 4.98 ip/gs - 4.47 / 4.63
    Cal Quanttill 5.39 ip/gs - 4.41 / 4.74
    Austin Gomber 5.54 ip/gs - 4.42 / 4.60
    Zach Eflin 5.84 ip/gs - 3.76 / 3.61
    Zack Littell 5.33 ip/gs - 3.94 / 4.62
    Chris Bassitt 5.65 ip/gs - 4.24 / 4.33
    Kenta Maeda 4.1 ip/gs - 4.89 / 4.81
    Garrett Crotchet 4.87 ip/gs - 2.40 /2.09
    Erick Fedde 5.86 ip/gs - 3.84 / 3.82
    Tyler Anderson 6.2 ip/gs - 5.01 / 4.86
    Griffin Canning 5.39 ip/gs - 4.87 / 4.46

Htown Legend likes this.
  11. raining threes

Give me Winker/Fedde/Brebbia

Wonder what it would take to trade for these guys.

12. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Winker should be just offering the 2 organizational top 10-15 prospects that Washington likes better than the other bids.

Fedde and Brebbia are controllable, it's a very seller friendly market, and the White Sox have put a very high price tag on their players so far. It will take multiple guys that we don't want them to give up. It would hurt.

Maybe Melton, Blubaugh, Tredwell, and Leon?

13. raining threes

I would be ok with this deal. Although I really like Blubaugh. The team is in win now mode.

14. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Offense. We need offense. Dubon needs to go back to being the utility guy. We will get better once Tucker comes back from his 3 month rehab for a bruised shin, but we need an upgrade at first base definitely.

15. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Part of the issue is we have everyone hitting a spot or two above their ceiling.

Once Tucker comes back, this team has 4 star level hitters, 1 above average, and 4 guys who should all be 8 and 9 hitters.
    Without Tucker, 5 of the starting 9 should all be 8 or 9 hitters.

The have performed well, but very inconsistently, as they are being put in lineup spots way over their heads, for a contending team.

16. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Let's pray about this.

17. raining threes

Or an OF.

18. raining threes

Add a bat and get Tucker back. The offense will look much better.

19. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

11 days and 30 minutes until the deadline.

I think they will get a SP.

I think they need a bat nearly as bad

I am very encouraged by what I have seen from some of the younger, less established bullpen arms but a playoff run is not the best way to give them leverage/semi-leverage experience, so a RP would be good also.

Whomever they get, chances are it won't be anyone we thought of.

20. SuraGotMadHops

With more teams making the playoffs and the elimination of the waiver trade deadline, there is always going to be more buyers than sellers. The days of relying on a deadline deal to address your needs without blowing up your farm are over. Unless you are going all in, it can become too risky for a lot of teams.

Drafting and development is more important now than ever before, it's becoming more of a "what you have is what you have" league. Also, offseason trades and free agency are way more crucial now to rounding out your roster. Unfortunately I think the Astros effed up the last two off seasons by not acquiring more starting pitching.

1) Build your foundations through drafting and development; 2) complete your team through offseason acquisitions; 3) perfect your team through deadline deals...if you try to accomplish #2 through the trade deadline you're in trouble. That's where the Astros were last trade deadline (JV was needed to complete the rotation, not perfect it), and that's where we are right now too.

Just too many needs..only thing that can get us to contention more than any deadline deal is health. And that is questionable as hell right now.