1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade: Bonzi, James for Bobby Jackson? (UPDATE: Done Deal)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by farrisdabis, Feb 20, 2008.

1. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Member

You guys are forgetting one important thing. The Hornets wont win a championship this year, and they have a 7 million dollar a year man rotting away on their pine for the next few years. We dont

2. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Exactly. We had to get rid of Bonzi to get rid of Mike James' fat contract. And guess what? He is still collecting "DNP-CD" like basketball cards. If we didn't move James then, we probably would have never been able to trade that contract.

3. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Member

Bingo. in return we get a guy who has a big expiring contract next season. Morey is not like most of you fans(aka Brooksball)

He is thinking ahead and building a winner for the long term.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Good luck with explaining that way of thinking....

;)

DD

5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

That only started happening in earnest after landry went down. We were just too small. I think I felt the same way during the stream that this was going to come back bite us.

6. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Exactly. We had to get rid of Bonzi to get rid of Mike James' fat contract. And guess what? He is still collecting "DNP-CD" like basketball cards. If we didn't move James then, we probably would have never been able to trade that contract.

7. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Damn, sorry for the double post.....make that triple post. Connection lost while hitting reply and thought it didn't go through.

8. Air Langhi

Always playing for next year is for loser organizations. If you can get Duncan or Howard or Lebron it might be worth it to tank, but otherwise you try your best to win.

9. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Member

didn't we just go on a 22 game winning streak? I wouldnt say we have tanked since the trade.....

10. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Member

Going "all in" and playing to win this year without any regard for the future is exactly how the Astros' farm system went from one of the best to one of the worst.

The Bonzi trade was a move that wouldn't hurt nor help the team short term, but could definitely prove beneficial in the future...cause unlike you most organizations try to build teams that are successful for more than just one season at a time.

11. Air Langhi

Astros went to world series. The heat won the championship. Pheonix might win this year. The point is you don't know if Yao is discovered to have some foot problem and can never play again. Its been 10 years since this franchise has done jack in the playoffs. It should be about now. That is why we made the gay trade. Given that Bonzi probally doesn't equal us going to the championship, but we have to the mentality of win now. Loser origination always look toward the future. The winner organization are asking themselves how will I become a champion today.

12. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Member

I don't know about you, but I feel better being a Rockets fan right now than a Heat fan. Sure they won the championship, but is it worth being one of the worst teams in the league for the next few years.....Rockets will be major contenders for atleast 4 or 5 years down the road.

13. RiceDaddy07

RiceDaddy07 Rookie

Hmmm...that depends. If someone told me that in 5 years we'll be contending every one of those years but fall short of a championship, then I'd rather be the Heat. Ultimately, a team that falls short of a championship ends up in the same result as one that's in the bottom of the league, i.e. they both end up with nothing.

Let me rephrase that question for you: Would you have liked to be the Dallas Mavericks of the past five years or the Heat of the past five years?

14. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Good luck because the Matrix isn't resigning and I bet Wade bolts also. Have fun rebuilding and missing the playoffs for the next 10-15 years.

15. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Member

The Astros went to the World Series, but came up short. And then the past few years after that they turned into a complete mess with little help available from the farm because they traded many of their prized prospects.

I see a "losing" organization in both of your scenarios. A team that puts all their eggs in one basket could very well win a championship (which yes would be nice) but there are are no guarantees (Astros, Rockets the past few years), and if they do win a championship they could go on to suck indefinitely (Heat). Likewise, a team that forgoes the present to build for the future could risk 5-10 years of mediocrity for no guarantee of eventual success (Memphis anyone). I'd much rather have a team that is competitive now (and could very well win it all), but has a chance to improve for years to come (the Rockets currently). A good team that comes to mind are the Spurs who have consistently won but keep building and adding young pieces.

Bottom line, no path to a championship is a guarantee...but if I had to choose I'd choose the team that is consistently competitive...cause if they don't win at least you still have something to root for year in and year out.

#1915 JunkyardDwg, Mar 20, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
  16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

BONZI FRICKEN SUCKS

There is a reason he was on a cheap contract and had to excercise his player option...you know why?

CAUSE HE SUCKS !!!!!

He is a cancer.....

And one game out of 10 is not going to make him a good team player.

GOOD FRICKEN RIDDANCE !!

DD

17. GATER

GATER Member

You people can bad mouth Wells all you want. The bottomline for me was that (in the absence of Yao) Wells would have been the only serious low post threat requiring some semblance of a double team.

And next time the phrase "neither the Hornets or Rockets are going to the WF Finals" starts to enter your finger tips, imagine how much being Jackson's backup affected Brooks' growth. Brooks won't see a minute of playoff time unless the game is a blowout.

And for the clown that wants to round up, Mike James NEVER approaches $7m/year. It's $6.5 two season from now.

And as far as Jackson having value as a $6m expiring next trade deadline....what if Brooks is not ready because you've made him Jackson's backup?

I'll stick with my minority view...they should have kept Wells, played Brooks, let James backup Brooks and sought salary relief this summer by moving the expiring contract of Francis (who's basically cooked although his legions don't see it) tied to Luther Head. That doesn't even factor in that Wells was an easy SnT.

18. leebigez

leebigez Member

I just didn't see the thought of trading away the only guy besides mcgrady that could get his own shot. Not only that he's the only guy that can give tracy and shane rest. I just think u have to make up ur mind. Either play young guys and take ur lumps or get veterans and try to make a run. We can talk about how valuable jacksons contract will be, what player is les willing to go over the lt for? They couldve just kept the pre trade roster and would have been cool.

19. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

Look up streaky in the dictionary and you'll find a picture of Bonzi. You can never tell if this guy will come to play or just stink up the joint.

Remember the game he had against the Celtics earlier this year? What'd he do after that?

Nothing, that's what.

20. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Whenever you trade away players they will always play tough against you and return back to being mediocre against other teams. He was a good rebounder but every other aspect of his game was way too inconsistent. Carl Landry will give us the better inside presence once he returns.