1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade: Bonzi, James for Bobby Jackson? (UPDATE: Done Deal)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by farrisdabis, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Seems like you guys like the trade now. Not I! Contract issues aside...
    1. Mike James has outplayed BJ
    2. BJ picks up his dribble way too much AND runs into the lane and jumps with nowhere to go. Did he miss basketball 101 for children or what?
    3. Wells brought more. Yes it was inconsistent but you simply played him less when he was cold. He was physical and attacked. We need that IMO.
    4. According to Hornets fans BJ had 2 good games all year. He was hot before and right when he got here. He fooled you guys. His FG% is nasty.
    5. Play Rafer more than 32mpg. BJ can hold his jock.

2. sammy

sammy Member

Im lovin the trade more everyday. We lost the extra yr of James' contract and we might be able to get a solid player with Jack's contract next season

3. WNBA

WNBA Member

but how could you put contract issues aside? arent they very important in any trades?

4. Sooner423

Sooner423 Member

Yeah, Mike put up some points in the last game, but look at his +/-. I think that's pretty telling.

5. Buck Turgidson

"Aside from that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?"

6. YallMean

YallMean Member

Dont overlook the value of a setup guy. Jackson sets up things, we couldnt rely on a Rookie. I had my doubts about this trade, but I am more and more liking this trade. James was on the bench not playing himself into the system. Bonzi Wells at times was a knucklehead, and turned over too much. With Jackson, this team is more complete and balanced. Having said that, I do miss Bonzi.

7. ricky812

ricky812 Member

Completely agree. That poll about bobby jackson after his first game where most people supported the trade was one of the most ridiculous things I have seen. Just because he shot well that game most people assumed he would play like that the rest of the season despite his season statistics which showed his raferesque shooting percentage. BJ is pretty much an older MJ that is more familiar with Aldemans system, nothing more. It would have been a even trade if we gave up only mike james to acquire him, but throwing in bonzi was too much. Just look at how we hand to sign a scrub sf in bobby jones to add depth to that position. The loss of yao afterwards only makes this trade worse as we need all the interior scoring we can get. I just don't get how the rockets can give away talent like that in the trade especially considering how even with yao we only have 2 big time talents on our team while the rest of the west has a big three including denver.

8. EGYPT

EGYPT Member

has Bonzi or MJ played at all for NO??

9. Kim

Kim Member

Whether or not BJax plays great, it is clear that RA trusts him more than he ever trusted Mike James, Steve Francis, or Aaron Brooks.

Rafer Alston was playing 36 mpg in November, 38 mpg in December, and 38 mpg in the 10 games of February before the trade (and this included a few blowouts).

In the 4 games since BJax, Rafer has been down to 32 mpg. I believe that's a good thing...Rafer has been playing great bball for what like 2 months now...sometimes bad, sometimes spectacular, generally solid to great. I don't want him worn out.

BJax for 20 mpg (which is what he's at) isn't so bad. I think it's better than MJ at 20 mpg because he knows the offense better and because...well that's it. BJax has been shooting terrible this year, but so has Mike James...I think the change of scenery might have helped them both.

I am slightly worried about the swing rotation. TMac will always play big minutes in the playoffs...It's Battier that I'm concerned about. While he always has solid to great D, his offense is erratic and has been bad in every playoff series. I hope his good shooting can hold up and that he doesn't get worn out playing big minutes. And I really hope Luther Head can contribute in this year's playoffs.

10. YallMean

YallMean Member

My worry is another injury to our starters. That will be devastating. Battier played 42 min last night. RA is making shifts to roate Battier, Tmac and Head at 2, 3 spots. If opponents start to take advantange of Head's undersized defense, he cant play much. This worries me ... Probably that's why we signed Jones in case of foul troubles or defensive assignments. That's why he is given minutes ahead of Green now to get him ready. But this is one area that kill us.

11. skip to my lou

mike james>>bobby jackson.....to be honest i think RA didnt use mike james right i mean instead of having him iso he should of had him run pick n rolls like they are doing with rafer

12. pmac

pmac Member

it sucks that those players couldn't leave their egos at home to better help this team. I think that Mike James would have helped more if he played within the system more. He always wanted to finish the play instead of making the extra pass so they had to trade him for a real point guard. Bonzi was more of just a bad fit. His role in the offense was too similar to Tracy's so if he wasn't penetrating he was useless when they were both on the court.

Bottom Line is we needed a willing passer who could shoot from range. We got that.

13. macfan

macfan Member

I am not overlooking up Bobby as a setup guy. However, with Yao out, we don't need setup guys, we need playmakers and finishers.

With Yao in the lineup, Bobby fits well, however with Yao out we need firepower, not setup guys.

Again, hindsight is 20 20 and nobody could have foreseen Yao's injury. However, I think that if you told Darryl Morey that Yao would get injured, he would probably say: We'll eat MJ's contract for the chance to make a run in the playoffs.

For next year and beyong the MJ trade is good, as far as this year it's not. Bonzi would not bring us a chmpionship, but he would give us a better chance to advance.

14. macfan

macfan Member

Not true. Bonzi was playing well and he wasn't chucking. He and Tmac were good friends and Bonzi was playing within the offense even though this is a contract year for him. Bonzi was one of the guys. There's no way around it. Now we are overplaying Shane at the 3 spot, Bonzi would get some minutes at the 3 and would also offer us a post presence and good rebouding. Bonzi adds a dimension that the Rockets do not currently have. If Shane is in foul trouble or injured, this team is doomed. Luther Head can do what Bobby Jackosn better that what Bobby Jackson does in the place of Bonzi.

New Orleans was in desperate need of a back up point guard and they thought Mike James was a better option than Bobby Jackson. THey got Bonzi as a bonus. We enhanced New Orleans' chance to advance in the playoffs and diminished ours.

This was purely a financial move. If the Rockets add someone next year with the money that they saved from getting rid of MJ, then I'll be convinced the move wasn't solely motivated by money. Bobby will be a year older next year, I hope we trade his expiring contract and get a solid player in return.

15. Roxfan73

Roxfan73 Rookie

Luther Head cannot handle the ball or run the offense like Bobby. At the time of the trade, our hole at backup PG was a need, while Bonzi was more of a luxury.

New Orleans was not in desperate need of a backup PG. Pargo has been logging their backup PG minutes.

16. macfan

macfan Member

Bobby plays along side Rafer as well. I was talking about Bobby's role as a shooting guard at times

17. Kim

Kim Member

I strongly disagree with this.

In January, Pargo, their backup PG was averaging 24 mins, 11pts, 4 dimes, 49% FG and 37% 3's. For February it was 20 mins, 11pts, 2 dimes, 44% FG and 42% 3's.

They needed inside scoring and depth on their bench, but not at PG. Bonzi was the main piece and MJ was the throw in to match salaries...but Bonzi hasn't played well for them yet. Their swing positions bench was Rasual Butler: 5ppg on 36% FG and 34% 3's (down from 40% FG and 37% 3's for his career) and ummm, Ryan Bowen.

So yeah, while many of your points can be argued back and forth, this one is definitely wrong.

18. Roxfan73

Roxfan73 Rookie

No argument on Head being the better shooter. However, Head's decision making and ball handling sure leave a lot to be desired...

19. YallMean

YallMean Member

Actually, getting rid of Jame's contract is a good thing in the light of Yao's injury. We all agree next year is the year for a champioship run. We are never so confident about ourselves as right now. Cap flexiblilty is a good thing for next year. This year, meh, maybe Bonzi would make us a littile better, championship good or WCF good, I dont think so. So money is the issue and that's why I am liking this trade more and more.

20. mtran

mtran Member

any future trades involving new orleans should be packaged around flyin' ryan bowen.