1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade: Bonzi, James for Bobby Jackson? (UPDATE: Done Deal)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by farrisdabis, Feb 20, 2008.

1. CharlieMurphy

CharlieMurphy Member

Not sure if this has been posted, but here is Hollinger's Trade Grade:
    http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insi...umnist=hollinger_john&page=TradeGrades-080221

2. poprocks

poprocks Member

I don't mind getting rid of Bonzi. What I do mind is trading to a division rival to make them stronger. Wasn't there an Eastern Team we could have done the deal with? I mean, c'mon!

Looking at the Memphis trade, I cannot begin to understand what in the heck they are doing. It's like they are tearing the team apart and filling it up with worthless cheap players for a buyout.

3. dragonwill

dragonwill Member

Hopefully coach RA know more about Bobby Jackson than we do. :rolleyes:

4. lalala902102001

At the end of the day, the main purpose of this trade is a salary dump no matter how you spin it.

However, that does not mean that this is a bad trade. That couple of million dollars under the cap could help us to bring in someone like Brent Barry right now. More importantly, it gives the team financial flexibility in the upcoming years. That is HUGE in the NBA for sustained sucess.

We will miss Bonzi, but not as much as some people suggest. Bonzi has not been a savior for the team. He's had some good games, but for the most part he's been mediocre. Given the same minutes Landry and Head can easily make up for Bonzi's offensive production. The area that we will miss Bonzi the most is rebounding as without Bonzi we no logner have a wing player that can get you a rebound. Everyone on the team needs to do a better job on the boards to make up for the loss.

Bobby Jackson will provide more depth at PG position although he may not have much left in the tank. I look at it this way: BJ is a Mike James who fits in RA's system better and has one less year left on his contract.

Bottom line is that this trade does not make the team worse this year while has the potential to make the team better down the road.

5. jondoe

jondoe Member

The more I think about it, the more I like the Bobby Jackson trade. Brooks hasn't been doing much lately, and I think Bobby will really stabilize the second unit. Carl will take Bonzi's minutes and well, Bonzi wasnt that consistent. He had good games, but sometimes he looked terrible. Adleman wants to shorten his bench anyway, so I figure the reserves are Landry, Head, and Jackson with Novak or Chuck thrown in during matchups.
    Real test is if we can beat New Orleans. Just let bonzi go for layups and hope he will miss like he did for ROx. haha..

6. gta

gta Member

Sure he does. He coached BJax back in Sac town

7. gta

gta Member

We brought in so many point guards during the off season but oddly enough we still needed another one. :D

Seriously Brooks isn't going to be a reliable contributor this season. Head should really change his name to Headlessness. Francis is a waste of talent. Mike James, well, we just brought him back at the wrong time. We really should have waited till his contract year.

Morey and Adelman knew we needed a point guard. Let's see how BJax plays under Adelman before we jump to a conclusion.

8. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

anybody else know that Bonzi's real name is Gawen??

9. IamKhan

IamKhan Rookie

10. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Member

blogs are blocked at my work...sucks as sometimes there is useful work related things in blogs, but anyway...

Can you paste the content of the blog here?

Thanks

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

Good article.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

All RIGHT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If Tmac doesn't like it, that means it is great !!!!

DD

13. macfan

macfan Member

This is cherry picking. They also asked Tmac about Bobby and he had nothing but good things to say.

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Member
    Supporting Member

It was a smart deal for the future - a bad deal for the present. We're going to definitely be hurt by Bonzi's rebounding, he was key to at least a few of our victories.

15. TheFreak

TheFreak Member

I'm sure he's glad to have James gone. Just won't say it in public.

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Member
    Supporting Member

When we get to watch NO advance to the second round while our guys sit out, yall will really come to regret this move.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Ah Horse CRAP !!

Bonzi's rebounding....WTF ever....you know why he rebounded so well? Because he left his man wide open to shoot jumpers and went to get the rebound.

Bonzi is still living on ONE good playoff series 2 years ago.

The guy is crap on the low block, crap at defense, crap at Free throws, crap on turnovers, and can't shoot a jumper outside of 12 feet.

I am glad Tmac's security blanket was traded..... and now if Rafer struggles we have someone that can come in and pick up the slack.

Bonzi's rebounds can be more than compensated for by Yao, Tmac, Scola and Landry.

It was a great trade.........for now and the future.

DD

PS. He quit on the team last year.....QUIT........

18. Guru

Guru Member

I don't usually agree with DD...But I have felt this way about Bonzi for a very long time as well. Yes, he did well for us this year (last year, he quit on us...of course JVG haters will say otherwise), but are we seriously holding hope from 2 years ago.

I think Bobby Jackson trade was content; I would much rather have Jackson, an experienced veteran, as a backup PG in the playoffs than a short rookie PG.

19. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

add him to the list of players who played well (haha) during contract year. and i doubt he came back this year to help us...more like if he doesn't play this year and show people he still has something, he won't get a decent size contract.

bonzi, tim thomas, mike james..

20. Layupdrill

Layupdrill Member