1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade: Bonzi, James for Bobby Jackson? (UPDATE: Done Deal)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by farrisdabis, Feb 20, 2008.

1. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

And what about giving up Bonzi ... who also "knows Adelman's system."

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Bonzi didn't have the same # or years or bball savvy as Jackson did with Adelman, if memory serves.

Also, position wise we need a real 2-and-some-1 more than Bonzi's odd 3-and-some-2.

I'll just bet you Adelman was part of the decision-making process here.

3. HillBoy

HillBoy Member

I hear you! But the supporting players here now are WAY better than what we had 2, 4 or 6 years ago. Plus, you'll notice a distinct and consistent effort to bring in younger and more athletic players in order to build for the future. No, they aren't going to get to the WCFinals this year but I do expect them to make some noise before they go down.

You have to see that they have turned the corner now that Dawson and the others are no longer calling the shots. The decision making on player acquisitions is so much better. Sure, Morey whiffed on James and Francis (every GM does so) but what I especially like is how Morey doesn't stand still and is constantly working to make this team better. That alone is progress compared to what we've been living with over the past 7 years.

4. McGradySNKT

McGradySNKT Member

I'd think it he wanted to make the team better he'd stop getting washed up PG's and find a real 3rd scorer. Keeping Brooks over Artest is unacceptable.

5. HillBoy

HillBoy Member

But they really had no realistic shot at getting Artest anyway. They didn't have the players nor the expiring contracts that SAC would be looking for. Besides, getting Artest is really rolling the dice big time because the guy is a head case. Why go looking for trouble? And BJ isn't as washed up as Francis (or James) PLUS he represents a nice expiring contract for next year. It's always good to have assets. With Scola, Brooks, Landry and now Green, you have 4 nice young players who can develop and provide youth & athleticism. That's something that's been missing around here for years.

Man! listening to 790, you'd swear that Bonzi was borderline HOF. I never knew that Bouncy generated so much man love around here.

6. IamKhan

IamKhan Rookie

a real 2 has to be taller than 6'4

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I always like your 2 cents, B-Bob. I look at the Jackson move as pure, old school Jeff Van Gundy. I'm a fan of Adelman, but this is as close to JVG as he could get and not have plastic surgery. It's making a bet that Adelman, like he did this season with Bonzi, can revitalize a career. Maybe it will work. And we got a second round pick, which is a plus, even if it's a low one, and replaces what we moved for the other fellow, Green. Agree that Green is worth taking a flyer on. Snyder wasn't going anywhere with this team.

8. Russjr2

Russjr2 Member

[/QUOTE]Man! listening to 790, you'd swear that Bonzi was borderline HOF. I never knew that Bouncy generated so much man love around here.[/QUOTE]

^That is what i'm saying... I'm reading all these 'oh my God!' posts about trading Bonzi away... And how dumb Morey and the rockets are.... What are these people seeing? Have they looked at his stats since Jan? We are losing 8 pts and 4 rebs per game. They make it sound like he was averaging 15 and 10 off the bench night in and night out.
    I can't wait for B Jax to get in the game and start scoring and penetrating and then these people will shut up. He is just what we needed on this team. A legit backup PG scorer. Please play him tonight Adelman.... He already knows the system.

9. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

I think what he means is playing at their best with the role players we have now. Not like last year where both stars struggle from the field because of physical play.

10. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Member

Exactly. I can't believe all the people going "OMFG WE TRADED BONZI! THIS IS SO BAD THAT LES IS MORALLY OBLIGATED TO SELL THE TEAM NOW!"

Get over it. Bonzi wasn't all that good, and we couldn't have kept him past this year anyway. I'll miss Bonzi, but he wasn't basketball Jesus.

11. Almu

Almu Member

Just a HOOOOOOOORRRRRRRIBLE trade.

Unreal.

And I don't even like Bonzi! But I LOVE rings.

Now, we will get neither.

Les, sell the team PLEASE!

12. rezdawg

rezdawg Member

At least we get rid of MJ...that guy was a bust and a half.

13. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Member

WHO THE HELL IS Sergei Lishouk?????? I just saw on espnnews we got his rights in this trade, from I dont know who.

14. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Member

I can't believe how short we are at the backup shooting guard position. Just more burden on the team and especially the bigs to help defend because Luther or Jackson won't be able to stop teams in the west from posting them up. Ugh. The road to get out of the first round and to do damage in the playoffs got a lot more difficult. Le$ Alexander did Yao Ming/Tracy McGrady no favors.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Uh....Gerald Green is 6'8"......

DD

16. duteman

duteman Member

Can't believe the junked Bonzi when he was started to play decent....plus bonzi > luther for D and Rebs.

I thought bobby was a has been but he's doing .368 on 3's and looks to be hitting his shots as of late for the hornets so I think he'll help us with poise during clutch times....BIG WE'LL SEE on this one

17. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Member

Yes I know.

18. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Member

You guys really think we had a shot at a ring? We're not even a lock to make the playoffs!

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

So our starting 2 guard is 6'9" Tmac, and our potential backup SG is 6'8" Gerald Green.

We are short at the PG position, but we have more options there now.

I am really excited about these moves.

Sometimes it is better to tweak than to make major changes.

DD

20. white lightning

Are you implying Gerald Green plays D?