1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade: Bonzi, James for Bobby Jackson? (UPDATE: Done Deal)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by farrisdabis, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Member

I don't care if they think it's relevant to them or not, it's relevant to the guy cutting the checks. There's still no justification for calling the guy a douche bag.

2. ctry2582

ctry2582 Member

I dunno if it's posted yet, probably, but we also gave up the rights to Malick Badiane :(

3. HillBoy

HillBoy Member

Quite true but it's your stars that have to set the tone in the playoffs. Look at how Dirk Nowitski pulled a disappearing act last year in the playoffs against GS and take note at how that affected the entire team's level of play. If Tmac comes out wearing a skirt and plays likes like there's a mouse in the kitchen, then it really doesn't matter who you have in the surrounding cast. I want to see Tmac do the same things I saw Kobe do last night: play up to his level of talent. That's all I, or any fan, can ask...

Rockets just announced a trade with Minny sending Kirk Snyder to the T-Wolves for Gerald Green.

4. WildSweet&Cool

Well, we better do it fast. 9 minutes left til deadline.

5. WildSweet&Cool

LINK?!?!?

6. jello77

jello77 Member

if artest is not coming in...im really not sure why we did this. i thought we were gonna do something big because we're giving up bonzi but...what the hell? we got worse and we made new orleans better. what did we do, save a few bucks? this sucks arse.

7. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

As it stands now, it looks like a lose now and make room for next year kind of deal by getting rid of James. Bonzi, for all his flaws, gives us an option that no other player on the team can match (SG who can play down low, who can get to the rim, and can provide strength on defense against someone trying to drive the ball like Lebron James).

I hope Morey has something else cooking or this looks like a terrible move.

8. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Member

Hope you are right.

9. McGradySNKT

McGradySNKT Member

Thats not what I mean though. No matter how good Tmac and Yao play, even against Dallas, the role players sucked wind and they still lost.

When you look at all champ teams, they have role players step up and contribute big time. We can't just say Tmac and Yao will take us there. They need help!

10. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Member

I actually agree with this idea. I was thinking the same exact thing.

Snyder is the only other guy that could come close to doing some of the things Bonzi does. He can rebound, get to the basket and is actually a better defedner than Bonzi.

I don't see it happening but giving Snyder some of Wells minutes makes a lot of sense to me.

11. caneks

caneks Rookie

This trade is very questionable. It is not wise to give up Wells at this time.

12. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Member

http://www.nba.com/hornets/news/HORNETS_ACQUIRE_WELLS_AND_JAME-258879-31.html

NBA.com makes it official.

HORNETS ACQUIRE WELLS AND JAMES FROM ROCKETS
    Jackson, Haluska Sent to Houston, Vinicius Sent to Memphis in Three-Team Deal

February 21, 2008

The New Orleans Hornets announced today that they have acquired guard/forward Bonzi Wells, guard Mike James, and cash considerations from the Houston Rockets in exchange for guard Adam Haluska, guard Bobby Jackson, forward Marcus Vinicius and a 2008 second round pick. As part of the three-team deal, the Memphis Grizzlies will receive Vinicius, the rights to Malick Badiane and cash considerations in exchange for the rights to Sergei Lishouk.

“We have been looking to improve our bench as we head into the playoffs,” said Hornets General Manager Jeff Bower. “This trade dramatically improves our team by giving us proven veteran scorers at the backup guard and swing positions.”

Wells has averaged 9.2 points, 5.1 rebounds and 1.6 assists in 22.0 minutes of play in 51 games (seven starts) for the Rockets this season, while James has averaged 6.5 points, 1.6 rebounds and 1.6 assists in 16.3 minutes of play in 33 games (one start).

Wells spent his first five-and-a-half seasons with the Portland Trail Blazers before being traded to the Memphis Grizzlies for Wesley Person and a 2004 first-round pick midway through the 2003-04 season. He spent a year-and-a-half with the Grizzlies before being traded to the Sacramento Kings in exchange for Bobby Jackson and Greg Ostertag before the start of the 2005-06 season. Wells spent one season with the Kings before signing as a free agent with the Rockets, where he has spent the last one-and-a-half seasons.

Wells has averaged in double figures in five of his nine seasons, including a career-best 17.0 points in 2001-02. He has played in 36 career playoff games (16 starts), with his best playoff series coming as a King in 2005-06, where he averaged 23.2 points and 12.0 rebounds in six games against San Antonio.

James has six-and-a-half years of NBA experience with Miami, Boston, Detroit, Milwaukee, Toronto, Minnesota and Houston. He was traded along with Justin Reed to the Rockets for Juwan Howard prior to the 2006-07 season. James has averaged double figures in scoring each of the last three seasons, with his best season as a pro coming in 2005-06 when he averaged career-highs in points (20.3), rebounds (3.3) and assists (5.8) in 79 games (all starts) with the Raptors. He has also appeared in 29 career playoff games, including a championship run with the 2004 Detroit Pistons.

Jackson had averaged 7.1 points, 2.4 rebounds and 1.7 assists in 19.3 minutes of play in 46 games this season. Originally signed by the Hornets as a free agent prior to the 2006-07 season, he averaged 10.6 points, 3.2 rebounds and 2.5 assists last season.

Vinicius averaged 1.9 points, 0.7 rebounds and 0.3 assists in 6.6 minutes over 26 career games in one-and-a-half seasons with the Hornets. He was originally drafted by the Hornets with the 43rd overall pick in the 2006 NBA Draft and had averaged 2.2 points in 13 games for the team this season.

Haluska, the 43rd overall pick in the 2007 NBA Draft, has not appeared in a game this season and spent all but one game one the Inactive List.

13. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Member

You gotta be kidding. This has been known since last night. Read the last 30 pages of this thread.

14. HillBoy

HillBoy Member

Sometimes, you just have to have a little faith that things are getting better...

15. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Member

So, Snyder for Green?

I liked Green last season but when I saw him getting zero PT in Minny, I started thinking he had to have a bad attitude or be seriously lacking bball IQ.

What other reason would he be sitting on the bench after having a pretty good season last year? It's not a lack of talent or athleticism.

16. jopatmc

jopatmc Member

He strikes me as a total ditzo.

17. baller4life315

Did your boy Delonte West get dealt?

I heard he was mentioned in one of those Cleveland scenarios.

18. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Member

Green seems excited, to say the least:

Report: Rockets swap Snyder for T-wolves' Green
    E-MAIL PRINT COMMENTS 0 WATCH THIS TOPIC
    Posted: February 21, 2008
    Sporting News staff reports

The Houston Rockets have agreed to their second deal of the day, sending Kirk Snyder and a second-round pick to the Minnesota Timberwolves for guard Gerald Green, according to FOX 26 in Houston.

"It's like a dream come true. Never in my life did I think this would happen," Green told Fox 26. "I am on cloud nine."

Green, a Houston native, averages 5.1 points off the bench for the Timberwolves. He's best known as the 2007 NBA Slam Dunk Champion. He finished as the runner-up this season to Magic center Dwight Howard.

Snyder, a former first-round selection of the Utah Jazz, is averaging 3.8 points for the Rockets this season.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=356019

19. sittingDuck

sittingDuck Member

20. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Love both trades. Very smart.

You just can't blow up the hottest team in the NBA b/c of a bunch of other trades, not when the team is still getting to know the coach's system.

And speaking of knowing the system, it's one reason the Jackson pick-up is so good, as he was a big part of the good Sac Adelman teams. He knows the system and played it very smart there. So even as a practice presence, he's a big time bonus.

Green for a perpetual "DNP-coach's decision" is a great idea. Again, not a major shift, but one that could pay dividends late this year or in years to come.

Applaud avoiding Ron-ron or other big radical trades. Just my 2 cents.