1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Tradable Asset Inventory: What do we have to upgrade with NOW

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rox>Mavs, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I'm not giving up hope that Morey is still working a trade. Feigen's tweet said they're done with FA which makes sense when they announce they weren't matching Parsons. The only options now are trades. Even next years cap space isn't enough to sign a star which is clearly morey's intent and why he declined parsons.

So what do we have to trade and what will it take to acquire the likes of Love, Milsap, etc. If it's a star DM is looking for that only leaves the PG spot and PF spot to upgrade and I think he'd go for the PF first but would upgrade the PG spot if a near star was "get"able.

Trade Assets:
    (Picks)
    - 2017 and 2019 first rounders
    - various 2nd rounders
    - NOP 2015 first rounder

(Players)
    - Capella
    - Canaan
    - Young
    - gentile
    - rights to Lull
    - Daniels (if resigned)
    - Dmo
    - Jones
    - Covington
    - Beverly (not likely but who knows)

(Salary dump)
    Is it possible to take back bad contracts given our cap situation? That'd sweeten the pot for trade partners.

Given this list, what do y'all think it'd take to get:

1) Love - the market might be limited given that he'd only resign with certain teams. Maybe like with Dwight to LA he can be had by a team willing to risk him walking. I think we're in a situation where we have to take that risk now. I'd trade anything we have above without any commitment. I think minny wants impact players now. Maybe we can give them jones and send our picks to a third team for a player they covet? And take back martins contract?

2) Milsap - he's expiring and ATL might want to go a different direction. They need a true center and wing player. Again we don't have the kind of players they're looking for but maybe with our assets we can facilitate a trade to their liking. Milsap might be gotten if he's not in their long term plans.

3) Josh Smith - I know he's a knucklehead, but he could be easily gotten I think without giving up much. Plus he's just about the only PF out there that could solve our defensive problems at the 4 spot.

Thoughts on the asset list and potential trade options?

2. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Howard, Harden and the NOP that is all we have that have any real value. The rest might have some value but nothing that will net you anything of real value.

We traded Lin, Asik, Parsons and our 2015 for a 2015 which might be a little better and Ariza.

3. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

We have NOP first round top three protected pick next year.
    Three second round picks next year.
    A lot of Euro stash.

Our roster looks like this:

PG: Beverley - Canaan
    SG: Harden - Johnson
    SF: Ariza - Covington
    PF: Jones - Motiejunas
    C: Howard

Also, still waiting on Daniels.

Where do we go from here?

4. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Now the team as currently constructed is:

PG Beverly / Canaan / Johnson
    SG Harden / Gee
    SF Ariza / Gee
    PF Jones / Dmo
    C Howard / Dmo / Jones

versus this the last year:

PG Beverly / Lin / Cannan
    SG Harden / Parsons / Garcia / Daniels
    SF Parsons / Cassipi
    PF Jones / DMo
    C Howard / Asik

What a large decline we have made in a few days.

Areas of need: Veteran PG, Veteran PF, Backup C. I hope our GM makes some more moves and doesn't throw 15 away.

Veteran PG: Nelson, Veteran PF Illysova or Ryan Anderson, Backup C Glen Davis. At least with these guys we're probably better than last year. When I saw Gee and Lishouk were part of the trades my fears have really risen that we're looking for scrubs who are .01 cents on the dollar so we have cap space for 16.

5. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

If little else happens with that roster (and scrub Gee who is also in there) - Down... Way down...

6. Rox>Mavs

Love might be tough unless we parlay our assets into something more valuable. Milsap or smith seem more realistic IMO.

7. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Morey has written this season off. Smith or Millsap wouldn't make us any better than if we had just kept Parsons. Plus Millsap is a free agent after this year, lets not throw away trade assets on a player that walks at the end of the year. Morey wouldn't want to add Smith's salary.

8. Rox>Mavs

I'm going to disagree on the milsap not being any better for us than parson. They are both near equal players but milsap is on a much better contract and he plays a position of need now that ariza is signed. Plus milsap would be much easier to extend given he'd be looking to get paid and we'd have his bird rights.

9. HighlightReel

HighlightReel Member

Other trade options:
    Thaddeus Young, Rondo, Bledsoe (sign & trade)

10. radiohunk

radiohunk Member

He can't write the season off. DH has 2 more years and we have to have a championship caliber team for him to not opt out and stay with the team. The best thing he can do is get short-term contracts and stay competitive, and if the opportunity to get a 3rd superstar emerges (Love, maybe Rondo) then we are not salary strapped.

If we had signed CP we would have had no shot at another superstar until 2017.

It really stings right now, but ultimately it gives us the best chance to compete now and next year. But the moves have to continue. CP > Ariza but not by a lot. We need a PG and a PF. Perhaps Phoenix will deal with us (Bledsoe, Dragic); and if we can get Milsap/Smith we are in good shape.

Remember, no one in the West has really improved, they have all stayed at status quo. We can still make some moves that can slightly improve us, and with some growth in our team we hopefully have a chance to compete.

11. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

didn't we made it a 3-way trade to save our MLE, BAE, and TPE? Morey will turn those into more assets for trade purpose later.

12. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Actually there's not a very big decline if you look at it.

13. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I can see the billboards now - Come see the new 2104-15 Rockets! Not that much worse than last year!

14. Ericonomist

Ericonomist Member

Gee can't shoot. Can he play defense?

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Don't forget our best trade chip, Jones. Yes a long way to go defensively. But he won't be 23 till January and WILL get a lot better, IMO.

TJones plus the Pellies pick isn't that far away from a really nice package. Something missing, yes, and that is up to Morey to find with MLE, etc.

16. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

Pretty funny, but we can easily be a little better than last year. We have over $12 million we can spend to get a backup center plus 1-2 more decent players to fill holes. Plus, we can expect improvement from Jones, DMo, Canaan, Covington, and at least one of this year's draftees will have something. I don't expect much improvement because it's hard to go from 54 to say, 60 wins. But I can see 56.

17. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

They won't spend it. They will bargain basement shop on high draft busts on 1 year contracts.

The way I see it is Jones will be better. DMo not so much. Canaan will be a young inexperienced Brooks. Covington will be slightly better. Draftees will stay overseas or Dleague for the year.

All that adds up to "not that much worse".

18. do work son

do work son Member

alonzo gee is gonna be waived. no sense even mentioning him in any lineup

19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Sign Jason Smith instead of Gee.

20. Rox>Mavs

King Drew dropped a milsap possibility. If ATL wants to keep horford at the 5 jones is a great young cheap replacement for them + the NOP pick.

Otherwise might have to use jones or the pick in a three team deal to get some combination of a center and/or wing for ATL.