1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tracy McGrady's struggles at the Toyota Center

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Crudder

Crudder Member

2% can mean a lot in statistical terms. I dont' have the data but what you need to do is a run a statistical analysis test comparing the two % means (probably somewhere along the lines of a independent samples t-test or one-way ANOVA) to determine whether or not the 2% is statistically different. You guys can compare numbers all you want but without these tests, there is no relevance and you can make no assertions. And even with these tests, running at 95% or 99% alpha levels still leaves room for error.

I'm not sure if there really is a depth perception issue at TC (being that I live in San Diego and have never been there) but I agree with Jeff in that management should take a look at it...

2. Crudder

Crudder Member

EDIT: Probably would need a paired samples t-test instead seeing as how its more of a pre-test, post-test kind of deal where we compare one group shooting at home (pre-test) and then away (post-test) to see if there is any difference... my mistake.

3. DaRock1

DaRock1 Member

The correct spelling is barrage and grammatically.

You should start working on your own grammar before criticizing other people's command of English.

4. tigereye

tigereye Member

Staples Center has one of the largest and highest seating bowls in the NBA.

Does "depth perception" prevent Kobe from going on a shooting spree at Staples?

Depth perception my ass....trade T-Whack!

P.S. If the Rockets want to improve the depth perception at TC, all they need to do is improve the interior lighting in the seating bowl. See Pepsi Center, Air Canada Center, AAC, etc.....

Ironicly, T-Whack had better shooting percentages at his former homes in Toronto and Orlando, both of which are "brighter" venues then TC.

So cleraly, Depth perception = Lighting

5. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

relax. it ain't just tmac saying this. ANOTHER SHOOTER luther head agrees with him.

i don't really agree with him about the "depth perception" thing. but what i think contributes to his and the team's poor shooting at home is the pathetic fans who don't show up on the lower bowl. therefore, if u watch on TV, it's like nobody is at the arena; the place is quiet like a funeral; u rarely have chants of defense...

it's not a really "great home field advantage" i might say. that's why our record at home has never been great.

6. rockets fan

rockets fan Rookie

Why Mac nuthuggers always make excuses for any slights in his game. If the "depth perception" was so bad, it effects the opponents worse because at least our players should be used to it. Last time I checked, we have a better record at home then on the road.

7. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

spurs opponents used to complain about the alamodome for a similar reason. But the spurs used it as an advantage instead of an excuse.

8. Vivid

Vivid Member

Agreed...we should use this to our advantage.... practice more in the TC... Yao pratices more than anybody in the TC...maybe that's why he shoots better here too.

9. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

His ft's perc. at home are tragedy.

10. caneks

caneks Rookie

What I got from those numbers is that we won more when T-Mac scored less.

11. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Toyota Center is as exciting as a sandwich without filling. Don't know why the fans can't give a ****.

12. Crudder

Crudder Member

man.. this is ugly

13. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

I dont know about depth perception but houston fans arent no where as loud as the other Texas teams.

14. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

His individual stats are worse at home but the team win - loss record is better...maybe a less T-mac centred offense is better for this team. Of course, that could just be due to 'home advantage'

15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Or maybe our opponents play worse in our building then they do at home.

16. CharlieMurphy

CharlieMurphy Contributing Member

I wish our court was like the Celtics, it's seems bright compared to ours.

17. lalala902102001

I'm sorry but that just sounds like a dumb excuse.

It's your home court and you have all the time in the world to practice there. How the heck can you blame the court?!

Go shoot 1000 jumpers in TC and you will start making your shots, Tracy.

18. earth

earth Rookie

If the cost of Tmac's bad performance is a win, it is acceptable. This should never be an execuse anyway, maybe it is only the consequence of the harder defense from guest teams at houston homecourt, or other reasons. Rox need this win on Jazz and the one on Warriors.

19. rockets fan

rockets fan Rookie

You figure since he is having trouble with "depth perception" at the TC, he would drive to hoop a little more instead of launching 20 footers... :confused: :(

20. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Carlos Boozer scored 41 against the Rockets here in last year's playoffs.

I think Feigen should have pointed out the numbers in this thread -- that is, T-Mac's numbers specifically. Instead it was painted to be a problem for everyone, and the quotes he got were from two of the only two Rockets who struggle at the TC this season.

If you take T-Mac out of the equation, the rest of the Rockets shoot 43.9% at home and 44.7% on the road. It's a difference when you consider that teams probably are supposed to shoot better in their own building, but it's not a huge difference.

And look at the other numbers -- For example, Rockets opponents shoot 43.7% in the Toyota Center and 44.1% in road games. Free throw shooting for opponents is 74.4% in the Toyota Center and 75.0% in road games. Three-point shooting is better in the Toyota Center for both the Rockets and opponents than it is on the road.

Also, the opponents the Rockets have faced at home have better records this season on average (.537 winning percentage) compared to the opponents the Rockets have faced on the road (.501 winning percentage).

T-Mac, Luther and Scola show very poor shooting numbers at home and great on the road. Bonzi, Brooks and Battier are the opposite - much better at home. Yao and Rafer have little change either way.

As far as historically, in 198 games in the Toyota Center since it opened in 2003, the Rockets have shot 44.1% from the field. In road games during that same near-5-year span, the Rockets have shot 44.1%. Identical shooting percentage.

Rockets opponents shot 42.3% in the Toyota Center during the same span, and 42.9% on the road (their home courts).

As far as individual performances, in T-Mac's Houston Rocket career, he has scored 40 or more 14 times -- 12 of those times were on the road. Yao Ming scored 40 or more twice, and both times were in the TC.

Opponents, admittedly, are trickier. Only twice has an opponent scored 40 or more in the TC -- the Boozer game last year and <a href="http://www.clutchfans.net/game_boxscore.cfm?gameID=2826">Iverson put up 40 in 2005-06</a>. It's happened 8 times on the road and 3 of those times were 53-point games (by Kobe twice and once by Dirk).

I guess what I'm trying to say is there may be an issue, but it's minor. For T-Mac, for whatever reason, it's major.