1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tracy McGrady's struggles at the Toyota Center

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

If other players are complaining as well, this is an issue. I was shocked that only one opponent had ever hit THIRTY in Toyota Center. That's ridiculous!

2. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Yeah, that must be when AI dropped 54 Points on us. That was a long time ago. Back when we had Francis, Cat, and Yao. There probably is some truth to the whole "depth perception" thing. Or maybe its so quiet in there that its hard for players to "get up" for games in the TC.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I think it's a bunch of crap.

4. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Lol quite true :) Yes, but we better piss off all the YOF's less we should risk seeing another barage off hateful, gramatically unsound, and baseless arguments against Tmac

5. kwng

kwng Member

Even Chron.com support TMac statement now

Is it true no one got 40 in Toyota center ever?

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/5488872.html

6. Tango

Tango Contributing Member

Thanks for crunching the stats durvasa.

One of the first things we need to do is to evaluate the data not as single 4 year average but as a trend. 2ndly, we would want to evaluate if the variance is statistically relevant.

7. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

apparently our best defense has been our arena for the past 3 years. i agree with t-mac though. when i watch a home game i dont feel any energy. im much more excited and into the game when we play on the road. i dont know if thats because of the players trying harder on the road or if the toyota center atmosphere is just dull.

8. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

Even Luther Head seems to think so. Interesting...

Frankly, I still think this is an excuse. Fine, if you say the depth perception is a little off or whatever, but it's not like they are playing in some junior high school gym. They're professionals, and it is their home floor for God's sake.

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I believe that's just for this season.

10. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

i think nobody plays well or gets up for a game if the arena is HALF-EMPTY. our arena is arguably the worst arena in terms of loud noise and chants in the league.

i mean, look at how carmelo anthony airballed TWO wide open shots when he came here. :D . i imagine what tmac says has some validity.

it's not just tmac, it's the entire team (sans yao and landry b/c they're inside players)

11. ikfit

ikfit Member

He should stay in Hotel before the game.
    Use guest lockroom.
    All fans boo when he scores.
    :D

12. rocketman1979

rocketman1979 Contributing Member

my theory is that problem is caused by too much color red on the court and in the stands. Its a common fact that the color red stirs alot of emotion which makes it hard to concentrate. So im not suprised that players on our team and opposing teams don't feel comfortable playing on our court.

13. scv_rockets

scv_rockets Member

I agree.

I don't mind the basketball court but it would help if they changed the color of the Toyota Center seats to black. Also, they seriously need to upgrade or adjust the lighting in the Toyota Center. It's TERRIBLE. The new basketball court brightens the arena somewhat but it's still dark in the arena. They need to brighten it up. IE: American Airlines Center in Dallas or the Pepsi Center in Denver.

14. scv_rockets

scv_rockets Member

Does anyone think Toyota Center was built in the wrong location? All of the major venues in Houston are/were built on major highways.

Reliant Stadium and the Astrodome complex is on the 610 Loop
    Minute Maid Park is on Highway 59
    And, Rockets' old arena Compaq Center was on Highway 59.

When you're on a major highway and you pass by one of the venues above, it makes you say, "Hey, let's go to a Astros or Texans game sometime." I remember when I was younger, I used to stare at Compaq all the time when my parents would drive down 59. Hell, I still stare at the building now. Lakewood Church is pretty nice.

Anyways, Toyota Center is not visible from a major highway. You have to exit off of 59 and drive 2-3 blocks into downtown streets in order to get to the arena.

Anyone else get what I'm saying?

15. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

TC, Minute Maid and Reliant are all within the same proximity to a major highway. MM and TC are both within 2 blocks of 59 and Reliant is a block off 610. If you can't see TC from the highway, you are blind.

As for access, the downtown venues are MUCH easier to access and park for than Reliant on game day.

Besides, that wouldn't have anything to do with shooting in the arena.

16. kevtse

kevtse Member

Girls in other cities must be hotter than his wife at home~ :D

17. scv_rockets

scv_rockets Member

I travel on 59 all the time and you barely see the Toyota Center in the daytime. It's not as visible as Reliant and MMP. Maybe I need to pay attention more, but MMP is literally right there next to 59. Reliant, you can even see that place from 288.

I brought it up because of the lack of attendance in the Toyota Center. Seeing a venue like that and having it visible to the city of Houston will create discussion and interest. More people = more energy in the building.

18. JD2010

JD2010 Member

I've always thought that the Toyota Center had weird rims..
    all the other arenas in the nba have much different rims in terms of how shots fall in.. etc.
    and alot of arenas have rims where every once in a while you will get a lucky roll..

Sacramento and Orlando has some of the softest rims in the league... ive seen so many shots roll in there..

as a matter fact if youre watching the boston-orlando game Rashard Lewis hit a shot that wouldn't have gone in at the TC.

19. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

The Rockets didn't sell out the Summit until they started winning. The Astros didn't sell out the Astrodome until they started winning. The Texans had a TON of empty seats season before last and even last season.

Houstonians go to see their teams when their teams win.

But, attendance at TC is higher than at Compaq Center. They've increased their season ticket holders every years since moving in. So, no matter where the building is, they are bringing in people.

Just as a second opinion, I NEVER see any of the venues because I rarely drive in an area where they are visible. Reliant, in particular. I think that would hold true a LOT of people in Houston. You may see them because of your commute, but not everyone travels 59 and/or 610 every day. Hell, there are people that rarely come into downtown Houston from the suburbs.

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

2%?

Give me a break