1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Tracy McGrady Strongly Interested In Lakers

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by 2Cleva, Jun 20, 2010.

1. TmacsRockets

TmacsRockets Rookie

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

[rquoter]Still, McGrady is hopeful a summer of intense training will extend his career. He's a free agent and though his future in New York is doubtful, he hopes he can catch on with a contender next season -- or at least resemble the player who won a pair of NBA scoring titles.

"This summer, I will continue to work hard and get myself and get in good shape and pay the best money doctors can buy and physical therapists and everything to get myself where I need to be."[/rquoter]

Say it ain't so! If Adam Morrison and DJ MBenga can win 2 rings, why can't McGrady win one? :p

3. three

three Member

I don't think he would go to LA to come off the bench. He would only go there to start at sf with Ron coming off the bench. I doubt that happens.

4. Christopher

Christopher Member

To be honest, I dont think Kobe would want it.

If you look at the way he pushes his team mates, as all great players do....would he want a loser, whinger and slacker like TMac?

No.

Ron only got to LA because he has made it clear the whole time, even before the trade, Kobe was the man in LA. A winner and what ever Kobe said was gospel.

TMac has made his reputation. There is a reason he managed to go to the Knicks and not factor in ANY of the talk regarding New York being able to attract to players to their team.

5. Dei

Dei Member

And I thought my respect for this guy couldn't get any lower. Amazing, simply.

6. ScolaIsBallin

ScolaIsBallin Member

lol he's really desperate now. I bet he's doing it to help his chances for the hall of fame. i'd laugh so hard if the rockets beat the lakers in the playoffs next year, and he was on the team

7. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Well I can't stand this guy either, but you can't call him a cancer, at leat not know. He was very well the MAIN reason Lakers won game 7. Forget Kobe, Gasol, it is Ron who made all big shots.

He didn't fit in Houston, and that's true.

But Tracy playing in LA may be a good thing for both sides. I watched a lot of Lakers games not only in the playoffs and I can tell you that their bench SUCKS. They had their better moments but in general they need to improve. Kobe, Fish are getting older, Bynum is one big injury and they will have to rely on bench much more, especially during the regular season.

What's more, Ron is a very inconsistent player and he often hurts the team. The problem is, Phil doesn't really have other player who he can rely on to play big minutes, with Sasha and Walton on the bench, who are often horrible.

That's when Tracy could help LA. He can create for others and himself, he can control the ball, he is long and can make outside shots. The thing is Tracy really has to be much better than he was with NYK, because with him playing like that it may be better for LA to keep Walton.

But if McGrady can be anywhere near 80% next season, he can help this team. And MAYBE (big question) he can finally get past the 1st round. Ha Ha ha

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I've lost any confidence I once had in McGrady's abilities. So much talk from him heading into last season, and look at the results.

9. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I'm pretty sure even TMac knows, for even the Lakers to take a sniff at him, he HAS to be willing to come off the bench. I don't see any contending team that would allow him to start. He's not starting over Ron and I'm doubt he'd be ahead of Odom at this point. The Lakers do have a weak bench so he would add something but only IF he puts his ego to the side and come off the bench. If he truly wants a ring, then coming off the bench is what he has to do.

10. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Is McGrady sticking to his "I won't work out for anyone, you have to sign me sight unseen" declaration?

I have a hard time seeing McGrady check his ego - Kobe would chew him out (like anyone else) the second he slacked on D or played his "get my man!" game.

And as far as McGrady helping the Lakers as a "slasher" with "offensive firepower"....ha.

Said it before and I meant it - Adam Morrison is a better player at this point.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Jeff W - Do not give this . . .this MYTH any credence

what does it mean he DID NOT FIT???
    HE fit to the tune of going to the second round?
    He fit to the tune of giving the Lakers fits! Even with Yao and Tracy out!

What is . .. DOES NOT FIT???
    TMAC FIT but was 1st round fodder
    VSpan fit . . but he could not stick
    Von fit but he could not stick

What in the hell does FIT LOOK LIKE????
    DaDA - Please explain it to me. .. cause you been saying it for
    over a year. . .and I really want to get a good explaination

Esp from someone who is a BOTTOM LINE kind of guy

You don't like him . .Cause he not Langhi, VSpan, Von, or whatever
    charity case you have at the moment . . but DOESN'T FIT
    is weak generic knock on the guy that really doesn't mean a d*mn thing
    except . . . I did not like him ... or at best . . he did not play 'perfect' basketball
    which no one does. . . .

BTW- there *are* two sides of a basketball court
    and
    there is a third part of the EQUATION . .. HEART!!!!
    Which Ron Has . . . contrary to McLady or even the McLady of Greece!

Rocket River
    sick of the .. 'he didn't fit' crap

2 people like this.
  12. pacmania

pacmania Member

Tmac must've been watching this year's finals and saw how Kobe and Pau drive in the lane and scream like hell to try and draw attention from the refs.

Tmac's eyes were wide open and he was telling himself, " now this is where I belong".... " driving in the lane and screaming, thats my game right there!!"

Imagine a team with Kobe , Gasol and Tmac playing together and driving to the lane. Thats a lot of driving and screaming right there.

13. MrAwe

MrAwe Member

lmfao

14. pacmania

pacmania Member

I think Ron Artest fit well with our team when Yao was healthy hence the portland series. The thing with Ron is even when he has an off night he can still help out on the defensive end. With tmac , you may be opening a gaping hole in your defense.

Players have off nights, and even awful nights just look at the celtics , Ray Allen in particular save for that hot shooting night was ice cold the almost the rest of the series.

the celtics formula is to have multiple stars so some of the stars can step up on some nights.

The Lakers actually have that now with kobe, gasol and artest.

Now with Tmac , before you didn't have to question his offense, but now even that is highly questionable with his shot selection, and then you have to factor in his atrocious defense... then you ask yourself if its really worth it?

Then again, the ultimate question may be will he able to increase ticket sales throughout the course of the regular season, and it may be a positive.

15. scola4

scola4 Member

I hope they also add Mehmet Okur so I can just direct all my hatred toward one team... :grin:

16. apollo33

apollo33 Member

i dont think adding tmac to that stakced-as-hell lakers squad will hurt the chance of them winning another championship, so why not give it a try at a cheap price

but the thing is tmac needs the ball a lot of the times to be truly effective, hes been a volume shooter almost his entire career, whats he gonna do with kobe on that team

but i can see lakers playing tmac as a point guard with kobe if the deal does get done, except tmac will get raped on the defensive end

17. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

Repped. My thoughts exactly.

18. Al Calavicci

Al Calavicci Contributing Member

Oh Tracy, you are just too precious

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It's just another cool story, bro. "Ron Artest is a cancer! He will cost the Lakers a ring!" What actually happeend? Artest wins a championship ring and the coach calls him the MVP of game 7.

I could understand the argument that Ron Artest is a cancer BEFORE he got a ring. I would not agree with it, but it's arguable. But to argue that he is a cancer AFTER he gets a ring? That's just stupid.

20. mFt82

mFt82 Member

This is absolute ****. Stacey fairweather McLazy goes back and forth between "what [he] can bring" and wanting to retire because he's so ignorant as to own capabilities in the here and now. LA would be foolish to sign him for anything more than the league minimum. What a joke. This guy is not even a has been. He's a never was...

As a former Mcgrady supporter I guess I am angry. What a loser.