1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tracy McGrady: Making Most of Minimal Minutes, Aiming to Prove Worth

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketMadness, Dec 21, 2009.

1. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

So you are saying that Tmac is always hurt because he's soft? Funny.

I think you're saying all this out of hatred.

I don't think you understand the reason for microfracture knee surgery. Any player that worked their way back from the microfracture knee surgery are indeed tough mentally and physically. The surgery is the easy part. The rehab is a different story. Most people do not understand how tough it is to come back from microfracture knee surgery.

07-08 playoff series against the Jazz. Even during the 22 win streak. Tmac was dealing with shoulder injuries and knee problems. He constantly wears a heated pad on his shoulder to ease the pain and his knee was in constant pain. But he finished the season.

Most people don't understand microfracture knee surgery. When a player plays such a long period, the hard grinding wears away the bone in their knees. I compare that to a bar of soap in the shower. The more you use it, the smaller it will get. So when most of the bone wears off, the nerve endings is popping out because the bone is no longer there to cover it. So when a player runs on a bare bone full of nerves sticking out, it is very painful, kind of like when you're at the dentist and they drill your tooth all the way down to the root and that sharp pain erupts throughout your whole body. That is the reason for microfracture knee surgery.

I do not understand where you get that he is injury prone because he is soft. Some players are just less fortunate than others. Tmac played in the Nba for 12 seasons. Unfortunately, he gets hit by injuries. Its not his fault for being soft. Yao on the other hand, played 7 seasons in the Nba. Yao started having his foot problems by his 5th season in the Nba.

I am a fan of the Rockets. I respect Tmac simply because I know that without him before, this team would go no where. If this team is led by only Yao in the years passed, we would be a lottery team. So, without Tmac before, this is a lottery team...With Tmac, we were contenders.

2. nolimitation

nolimitation Member

If he ever gets back in shape, at this point in his life he can be a good solid bench player.

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Seems to me like he was contributing just fine the last game.

4. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

T-Mac can be faulted for many things, but being injury prone? C'mon now. Most of the time, there is nothing you can do about injuries. They just happen. Is Yao injury prone because he is a softy too? Is it because he slacks off or has McGrady work ethic (we all know how hard Yao works)? There is a whole list other injury prone players that never reached their full potential. It's not their fault either. Tracy can be blamed for many things, like not fully rehabbing, but you can't blame the man for being injury prone.

5. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Exaggerate much?

6. OldSchool34

OldSchool34 Member

Which is why we advanced to the 2nd round without T-mac and with Yao. You are a Tmac fan and nothing more.

Because he's already back to the T-Mac of old, So your point absolutely fails here.
    Why does it matter if you play with an injury? When you still avoid contact as much as possible and play like a girl out there? Please explain that part.

Tell me how many games Yao plays in the off-season and tell me how many Tmac plays in the off-season.

7. OldSchool34

OldSchool34 Member

Obviously you don't get the point nor do you get how things work. Here's an example....

Manu Ginobili is injury prone, can he help it? Probably. He's only injury prone because he takes so much contact each and every game, and he plays very hard out there each and every night over a 100%. He's obviously not as good as he was in 2007 or 2005 for that matter, but calling him soft is the last thing you call Manu Ginobili

Vince Carter is injury prone. Why? Because he's a soft player who's bones are made out of peanut brittle just like his cousin. He doesn't take contact, he actually avoids it as much as possible, both of them constantly coast through games especially on the defensive end which will make you soft. Anybody who plays defense in my opinion isn't soft.

Get it now?

8. number22

number22 Member

You're ridiculous. No one can argue with you when you make asinine
    statements like that. He's soft because he gets injured? Injuries are part
    of the game. If you are soft and scared to get injured you wouldn't play.
    Point Blank.
    Now if you wanna say he gets injured because he trains wrong
    or wasn't taking care of his body that's different. But to sit here and call somebody soft when they play night in and night against the biggest strongest fastest highest level competition out there is unreasonable.
    Especially coming from somebody sitting behind there computer, who judging from your comments, seems to have never played anything remotely close the level of play in the NBA.

9. OldSchool34

OldSchool34 Member

I'm sure you played too since you sound like a Tmac apologist yourself. I'm sorry, It's not my fault he has bones made out of peanut brittle just like his cousin Vince Carter. Tmac is one of the softest players in the NBA, It's very hard to get hurt and avoid contact at the same time and same how both Tmac and Carter tend to have that happened to them. It's apart of basketball, Yes, but it's because they're soft.

Don't shoot the messenger, Thanks, Appreciate it.

10. Rocketsmith

Rocketsmith Member

T-Mac gets a lot of flack for not advancing into the 2nd round, but you can't always placed the blame on one individual player. Most of his playoffs has been with a lower seed team, can't expect an 8th seed team to knock off the top team. Early on with the Rockets, there wasn't a lot of talent to help him & Yao. The first series with Utah was basically a toss up, the Jazz ended up winning in the final minutes of the 7th game. Sometimes it's all about how you match up with your opponent, the Jazz just always seem to be a bad fit for the Rockets. The next year, we had lost Yao for the season & Rafer was out the first few games of the playoffs. Last season, most people agreed that the Blazers would be a better match-up for the Rockets. We had also added Artest, so the lost of one of our stars didn't hurt that bad.

Sometimes it's funny to hear people question why a certain star player doesn't win a ring or hasn't advanced in the playoffs. Some of the greatest players don't own a ring, but there are many below average players that own one. First of all, it's a team game. You must have good teammates or you won't advance. Sometimes injuries or luck can be involved, such as drawing a favorable opponent. Then, there is always the fact that there are better teams. I don't care how good you are, it would be almost impossible to defeat some of those dominant teams of the past.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Rocketsmith this is true, but when you blow 4 home court advantages, it does present a recognizable pattern.

DD

12. OldSchool34

OldSchool34 Member

If I recalled correctly, Blazers were the favorites in that series, not the Rockets. Only Jeff Van Gundy thought the series wasn't close, then again he's Jeff Van Gundy and he loves the Rockets.

13. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

At any point when you were typing all of these excuses did you realize that you were....well...just making excuses?

14. number22

number22 Member

You don't gave to be an apologist to have a bit of common sense. There's no way to play a contact sport and avoid contact.

15. OldSchool34

OldSchool34 Member

Tmac doesn't play defense, and doesn't crash the boards and doesn't attack the basket, what contact does he get?

16. number22

number22 Member

Tracy has had more than one occasion to advance to the 2nd round.
    And if he would've worked this hard last year, he would've advance too.

This is old but still found it interesting regarding tracy's playoff failures.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blo...og/index?entryID=2862543&name=broussard_chris

17. number22

number22 Member

Other people do those things to him right? He gets defended, and they box him out to crash those boards right?

18. wheelmi

wheelmi Contributing Member

What am I missing here, has McGrady had multiple bone fractures? I think you are confusing Yao and McGrady. Substantially all of McGrady's injuries have been soft tissue related if memory serves me.

If you want to say he is soft because he has scoliosis (spelling??), then go ahead, but you don't play a decade in the NBA and have the success he has had, while overcoming scoliosis, by being soft.

Also, why is it that when someone defends a player on the team that they are branded "only fans"? I guess now I am a TOF now that I am defending him, despite being a Rocket fan since the mid-70's.

And BTW, stop accusing others of bias, when you are practicing it yourself? Remember, when you point the finger at others, you are three pointed back at yourself. :grin:

19. OldSchool34

OldSchool34 Member

Yes....but that happens to everyone. According to you, I guess 100% of the players in the NBA are tough.

20. Rocketsmith

Rocketsmith Member

I guess we can start talking about Roy as a great player who can't advance. :grin:

Actually, this is very similar to the previous Jazz series. You have a 4 & 5 seed playing, but the 5 seed has had done very well in their previous meetings. Most of us didn't want to play Dallas or Utah and I'm sure Portland didn't want us. Yes, the Blazers were the favorite, but we had won the season series. I really liked our chances, even though the national media favored the Blazers.