1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tracy McGrady: Making Most of Minimal Minutes, Aiming to Prove Worth

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketMadness, Dec 21, 2009.

1. WarioMillie

WarioMillie Member

"stat padding"
    "lead-dog"
    "side-kick"

garbage arguments. i.e. "all the facts conclude that t-mac is in fact awesome only because he CONTRIVED them to be so. possibly at the expense of winning, i would submit" -sincerely, the idiot.

well done, idiot. you proved nothing.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Name calling is inappropriate behavior for here, if you disagree, fine...but come on, show some respect for Rocket fans with different opinions.

DD

3. OldSchool34

OldSchool34 Member

What are your thoughts? Do you think T-Mac has been "awesome" as a Rocket?

4. WarioMillie

WarioMillie Member

O.k., you're right. I got carried away.
    Sorry about insulting you Old School '34. You're not an "idiot".

But DaDaDakota? I severely disagree with you. T-Mac has EARNED your respect and then some!

:mad:

5. DaDakota

Supporting Member

That is ok, we just view it differently......you can respect him for his past, I personally view his past as checkered and incomplete.

So, fine....thanks for manning up and apologizing.

At times yes, and at times no........I don't get enamored with personal stats, all I care about is "is the man doing everything to win"....and the answer to that is no.....

He coasts too often for my taste, he doesn't play defense, and he has quit on the team in a few games, something I find adhorent....

So to me, while i think he is a mercurial talent, I do not think he is a winner....I think he is mentally weak and doesn't have that burning competitive fire.

I think, he is more interested in being TMac and adhored by fans than he is at winning basketball games.

And those players are not the kind I want leading my favorite team....

That is how I feel about the guy.

DD

6. WarioMillie

WarioMillie Member

O.k. then i accept your apology & acknowledgement that M. Schaub > V.Y.
    \thread.

:cool:

7. OldSchool34

OldSchool34 Member

No answer? I am curious on your thoughts.

8. DaDakota

Supporting Member

My thoughts are in a post above, I was inserting them as you posted.
    ;)

DD

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He earned my respect.

10. monster

monster Member

Tracy should continue to be worked in slowly. Having him re-injure himself is the worst possible thing that can happen, whether you want him to be a Rocket or a trading chip. I don't know what Morey has planned, but I think as TMac gets back into the game, it will be obvious whether or not we should try and continue with him as a Rocket, or parlay him into a big man+. Time will tell.

11. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Yeah, no kidding.....lol....

Really what a lot of this comes down to is how you look at things in a personal way.

You and I see the same things completely differently sometimes, that's cool, we are all still fans....

DD

12. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

I give TMac respect for his game, not for him as a basketball player. The guy has/had skills that is/was second to none, but when the going gets tough he always quit. I am not a TMac hater, but I call it like I see it. I have always said that if he had the drive and killer instinct like Kobe, or the heart like AI that he would be in the discussion as one of the greatest to ever play.<p>With that said, unlike some of these other guys I still root for him. No matter what you've done in the past or present, if you are a Rocket I always want to see you do well. So I'm rooting for him to prove a lot of these haters wrong.

13. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I am too, I want him traded, but as long as he is wearing the colors, I want him to do well.

DD

14. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Tmac will never be a player proving anything with 5 - 7 minutes of playing time. What can you prove in that time? Seriously, those minutes are just to get him back in the game and into some kind of playing shape...minus the rhythm...for the game. I would personally expect those minutes to go up after this initial "feeling tmac out post-injury" period ends. If he's still playing <= 7 minutes down the road (in Jan/Feb), then there better be a good reason or it could be construed as there is no serious attempt to bring Tmac back. His playing time better not end after the back-to-backs.

15. t-mac_#3_SG

t-mac_#3_SG Member

I agree, and i think t-mac will prove a lot, even in 7 minutes. We just have to wait until he gets back
    into game shape... After he gets back into his shape (he will...the calf sleeve doesn't lie!) he will be able
    to show he's worth more minutes, and he'll eventually get more minutes. I believe in him...GO T-MAC!

16. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Well he better hurry up.....

His stats in the 4 games are pretty pathetic.

Tracy's stats

7.75mpg
    1.75 ppg
    30% FG
    50% 3pt
    1 rpg
    .5 apg
    .5 bpg

Those numbers are not going to get him more time, he could be playing harder in those 7 minutes to earn more, because right now....and yes it is early, he is actually earning his way back to the bench.

DD

17. t-mac_#3_SG

t-mac_#3_SG Member

You're right, numbers don't lie, but if you actually watched him play and you payed attention, you must've
    noticed he has got MUCH better in defense, and don't forget he just came back from microfracture
    surgery, it's not that simple. I think believe he will manage to get back to game shape. The really good
    thing is that he's not limping or anything at all. He can actually run up and down the court with no pain.
    You know how that important is after microfracture surgery? I know you know what you're talking
    about, and i think you would agree he's on a good road for someone who just came back from
    microfracture surgery, and he actually didn't even wait the time he's supposed to wait after having
    microfracture surgery...i think he doesn't look bad out there, and he's going to improve fast....

18. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

thank god amare didn't bench him permanently after 3 scoreless games in his 2nd comeback :rolleyes: .

19. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Yes, he has gotten better, but it is a meritocracy....so who cares?.....unless he can help the team win now.

And right now.....he is still clearly not ready.

He is getting this chance to prove he can help, he NEEDS to take advantage of it......and that means NOW.....

Because if the Rockets hold to form and evaluate him after 6 or so games, and he is still putting up crap numbers, he will be buried on the bench, IMO.

The Suns were counting on him and had multiple years left on his contract....so they had a vested interest in bringing him back.

They also didn't have as many options at his spot as the Rockets do....better options than Tracy, right now.

Sometimes I think you are so locked into your mancrush that you can not see the reality of NBA basketball....and the "What can you do for me now" mentality.

DD

20. abc2007

abc2007 Member

4 games in total

30 mpg, 7 pts, 3/10 fg, 1/2 3pt, 4 rbs, 2 asts.

It's nomal stats for a player to come back from surgery.