1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tracy in his hey day.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by T-mac&Yao=RING, May 16, 2008.

1. Untraceable

Untraceable Member

Tmac made that bet to get 40pts in game 6 and did, but even though he told the camera men that he didn't care if he got 40pts or not, it was still in the back of his head and he went out and did it....If tmac played every game with a sense of urgency, he would be Kobeish on the court

2. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

tmac still has the ability to take over games and as mentioned above when he has a sense of urgency, he can take over the game on both ends.

i dont think he has lost a lot. as a matter a fact i think hes gained some knowledge and matured as a player and person.

3. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Injuries slowed him down a little bit, but he is still on of the best guards in the leauge...when he is healthly of course

4. sook

sook Rookie

Yes, in 2003...i actually thought he would be jordanesque.

SINGLE HANDEDLY take a **** TEAM 3-1...but NO one man can do it by himself.

Just watch this video vs the pistons he dropped 42 easily

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gW1MqKr0fxo&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gW1MqKr0fxo&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

He used to throw up 40-50 points like every other night. He had astounding 32 PPG that one season. Watch him drop 52 with ease on carmello

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EhVnR6iaqe8&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EhVnR6iaqe8&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

5. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Yeah he was amazing in Orlando but I think the situation was a little bit different. Look, he didn't have anybody to help him around. It was all about T-Mac.

With Rockets I think he got his 'help' but first of all this team needs to stay healthly.

6. Asian Sensation

Look how quick and fluid he was back then. He got a lot of easy points by getting to the basket, a lot of cuts, alley-oops etc. Those things were much easier to do when T-mac was young, injury free and on top of the world. Add to the fact that much of shooting jumpers has to do with confidence it's no wonder why he was draining 3's like it was nothing.

If you look at Mcgrady over the last few years that back injury set him back quite a bit because it lingers on and on and he has other minor injuries that seem to bother him like his wrist earlier in the season and then he has a hurt shoulder towards the latter part this past year and his legs aren't as explosive and he loses quickness. He's still very good and the best is yet to come I think if he can stay healthy.

To sum it up.... age, situation and injuries are just a few of the components you have to take into account when you analyze the decline in Mcgrady's game.

7. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I honestly think he has it in him. He needs what kobe got which was a confidence booster. When Kobe got Gasol and Fisher back he started thinking... "hey we might win the whole thing". We need to help our guy out. Bring in some talent, spend some money and watch Tmac turn around. Just watch him when he first came to Houston. I am pretty sure he thought with the help of Yao Ming he could win it all and he put everything he had out there. Bring in a couple really good useful players this year to help him out and he'll have that swagger back. He isn't that old. He just needs that feeling again that he's people to help him out when it is needed.

8. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

Bill Walton. What happened to him was a crime.

Sampson and Hakeem were the original Twin Towers.

9. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

T-Mac's past his prime, end of story. Every time somebody posts a highlight video of T-Mac's Orlando days here or a thread about how good he used to be they're basically lamenting the fact that physically he peaked a few years ago.

As for comparisons to Kobe--different player, different body.

10. eMat

eMat Contributing Member

"I said this before and I'll say it again when Tracy was with the Magic I believe he was the most talented player ever to pick up a basketball."

Most talented to ever pick up a basketball... More talented than Kobe... I hear these two a lot and I have to say that these are one of the most r****ded statements ever. It sounds as if people are complimenting him while in reality, it is a knock. He isn't as good as Kobe and there have been plenty of better players than him. If he can't realize his talent, it's his fault.

11. ricky812

ricky812 Member

I am so tired of hearing the statement, tmac is a top 5 talent in the league, when he wants to be. You just can't talk about how good a player is and not factor in desire and the will to succeed. Desire and will has always separated the all time greats versus the very good players in the league, not talent, although there are exceptions.

Nobody doubts that tmac has suffered many injuries and has some chronic back pain, but the thing that pisses me off about him the most is that he grimaces more than any player I have seen in the league after contact during a game, and i watch a lot of ball. Its like he wants the whole world to know that the bump on his arm hurt a lot so he has excuses for why he just isn't the same player he once was. I mean the guy was even voted by the peers as the softest guy in the league in the current espn magazine issue which doesn't surprise me one bit.

12. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

Yes Tracy is still an elite player I argee with that 100%. But a lot of people outside of Houston wouldn't even put Tracy in their top 10 players in the game right now.

13. T-mac&Yao=RING

But its kind of hard for him to play every game like that because of his body.

14. T-mac&Yao=RING

Man I swear he made the game look so easy.

15. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I know this sounds insane to some people, but at one time athletically speaking I thought he was probably a better athlete than Kobe was and much more versatile.

I don't think he works like mad man in the offseason and throw in the injuries....he has tailed-off a bit.

16. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

well, those ppl would put carmelo and iverson above him :rolleyes: or hell even paul pierce. in fact, some peeps on our board are willing to trade tmac for them :rolleyes:

you see the things lebron is doing right now. he's sucking like crazy on offense but still plays better than pierce. that's the things that tmac can do that only lebron can do. when they struggle iwth their shot, they can dominate with their passing. if lebron was playing for us, i think a lot of people wanted him to be traded b/c he is only shooting 32%. :rolleyes:

tmac is a top 10 player. he put up 27, 8, 7 in the playoffs with the 5th best PER on multiple injuries without 2 of his starters.

17. T-mac&Yao=RING

I believe hes a top 10 player when healthy even with the bad back.

I was thinkinkg about what would this board be like if Tracy would have shot 30 something % in the playoffs most people on here would want him dead.

18. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

tmac shot 39% last yr and people said he sucked. and i agree (tmac's standards are higher). he still put up 25, 5, 7.

lebron in this series is putting up 24, 6, 7 on 32% shooting and most people think he's playing well enough b/c his team is in it v. a superior team.

a sign of a great player to me is when you don't have it offensively and still dominate a game. tmac did that when he struggles with his shot. lebron is displaying that right now. that alone puts him above every other g/f besides kobe/lebron.

19. T-mac&Yao=RING

I argee 100% Lebron is not shooting well but hes making a big inpact on the game while shooting on 32% thats something only great players can do.

20. JVGFAN

JVGFAN Member

I agree that Tracy has one of the better bball IQ's and has great talent. It would be nice though, if he could bring that awesome talent to 95% of his games like Kobe does. Talent is worthless with out success.