1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tour De France 2009

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by tolne57, Jul 5, 2009.

1. tolne57

tolne57 Contributing Member

Anyone watching? Should be a good race this year. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens during the two stages where radios are banned. The media's coverage of Lance is a little overwhelming though.

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Looks like Armstrong is going to make a big move today -- amazing.

3. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Lance is supposedly just dinking around and now he's sitting in third place?

4. KingCheetah

wow

WOW

WOW

WOW

5. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

What happened? :confused:

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

If Lance wins again, I'm leaving Austin. This place will be unbearable with all the idiots out riding their bikes in yellow jerseys in the middle of lanes. In the 7 years that he won it, the 2 weeks after it ended just sucked. People, all of a sudden, got on their Schwinn's, bought spandex (regardless of body type), and proceeded to ride in the middle of lanes going down Parmer (60 mph limit in certain portions).

7. KingCheetah

Just in case folks are watching later...

Lance is out of the lead by about a hundredth of a second.

8. Berkmaniac

Berkmaniac Member

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

where is germanroxfan when you need him? :(

10. tolne57

tolne57 Contributing Member

Not the biggest Lance fan but boy was it exciting today! KingCheetah said it best.. Wow!

11. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Does Lance not need the steroids anymore now that he is on FRS Energy?

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I'm not the biggest fan because I do think he has cheated just like everyone else, but if he's on the podium this year, I will put him above Eddy Merckx as the greatest cyclist ever.

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'm no fan either, but what proof do you have that he cheated? He's been tested more than anyone and specifically gets targeted by the Cycling Union and the French...yet he's still clean.

14. updawg

updawg Member

I'm no fan of his either and think he's an egomaniac.

I think he is always just one step ahead of the tests with what he uses. They don't test historical samples, I bet if they went back 8 years or so they would find some stuff.

15. Precision340

Precision340 Member

that's exactly what they should start doing... i'm not saying he cheated but will agree that there's always a way around the detection.. the steroid testing hack

16. rockbox

There are many reasons why I think he cheated, but I think everyone cheated so it was a level playing field. One of the reasons is that his old blood sample tested positive for EPO. I also believe he cheated because of his associations. All his buddies including his best bud Tyler Hamilton got busted. He also associated himself with doctors that gave PEDs to athletes.

The biggest reason I think he cheated is because everyone else in the sport did, and I find very hard to believe that someone could dominate the sport full of cheaters without cheating. An analogy would be Barry Bonds not cheating in a league full of Sammy Sosa's and Mark McGuire's. I guess its possible but not very likely.

17. GermanRoxFan

GermanRoxFan Member

i'm here, why are you asking?

i was pretty positive that the king of dopers was back on track to being one of the protagonists of this year's tour de france after i've seen him in the giro. he was in very good shape back then.

now, i'm really happy for him because he adds a lot of action to the race. it would be pretty cool if he could win again. :) [ too bad jan ullrich (another great doper) is enjoying early retirement. man, it would have been awesome if both of them could have shown those other dopers how to win. :( ]

unfortunately, lance probably won't win because alberto contador should be head and shoulders above anyone else. he should be dominating in the mountains and be elite in the time trials as well. overall, there's no better rider than him. well, i don't like him anyway. ;)

but be careful casual cycling fans. lance being 2nd currently is no reason to overhype him. in fact, this really means nothing (besides that astana is dominating the peloton...). the real race begins with the first mountain stage on friday. hopefully armstrong will be good enough to fight for the podium then. would be a great story.

18. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

So, guilty until proven innocent, even if he has to create the outlet to be innocent himself because he has passed all available tests?

19. updawg

updawg Member

so do you still think Clements and McGwire didn't use them either

20. rockbox

Only in the court of personal opinion. I never said he should be stripped of his titles, fined, or put in jail. I just think he cheated.