1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tough Love from D'Antoni to Amare

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by A_3PO, Oct 18, 2006.

1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Mods, please merge if I should not have started a new thread.

Some of the comments D'Antoni and Nash made earlier about Amare kind of had me wondering. They weren't negative but neither went out of their way to appease the guy. I think the Suns are ticked off a bit and Amare's guaranteed money could be affecting his dedication.

Suns to Stoudemire: Shape up or sit out
    By Craig Morgan, Tribune
    October 18, 2006
    Two weeks ago in Italy, Mike D’Antoni and Amaré Stoudemire had what amounted to a father-son chat. There was no wine offered. Just a simple message endorsed by owner Robert Sarver: If you don’t dedicate yourself to this team 100 percent, you won’t be playing. Stoudemire had just skipped another workout, complaining of pain in both surgically repaired knees.

“Mike had had enough,” said a source familiar with the situation.

Stoudemire had just skipped another workout, complaining of pain in both surgically repaired knees. “Mike had had enough," said a source familiar with the situation. Two weeks have passed and Stoudemire has not missed a workout or complained of pain in his knees since, although he did minimal work at Tuesday's shootaround due to stiffness. Coincidence? Hardly.

But if you think the star forward is now a model citizen who just needs to hone his conditioning and timing, think again.

Stoudemire’s biggest hurdle in his comeback attempt may have less to do with rust and more to do with the jersey number he is wearing this season — No. 1 — and all the attitude that it embodies. As a matter of coincidence, it is the same number microfracture poster child Penny Hardaway wore in Phoenix.

For those keeping score, Stoudemire played 18 minutes in Tuesday’s exhibition loss to the Clippers, scoring eight points, grabbing six rebounds, missing on all four free throw attempts and a pair of spin moves in the lane.

For those watching closely, there were periods of lack of interest and periods of coasting. Normal fare for a preseason game, maybe, but not for a guy who needs every minute of practice time he can get after sitting out most of the 2005-06 season.

Speaking of practice, some within the organization felt Stoudemire attended Tuesday’s shootaround in body only. The mind was elsewhere.

So where does this leave the Suns as they head into a pivotal season for this incarnation of the franchise?

In one heck of a pickle.

If Stoudemire gets back to 100 percent, it’s easy. Most figure the Suns as championship material and the chemistry will come in time.

But if he’s not 100 percent — physically or mentally — what does D’Antoni do?

Does he use him as sixth man and wait patiently for him to regain his former glory?

Does he bog down a team that established its own identity in his absence in advancing to the Western Conference finals?

Can he afford to do either given the brutal start to the Suns’ schedule, which includes two games against the Clippers and one each against San Antonio, Dallas and Memphis in the first seven?

“It’s a little touchy,” said guard Steve Nash, who made it clear last season that the Amaré-less Suns were an unselfish, fluid and fun bunch to conduct.

Nobody knows if Stoudemire will rewind the clock to 2004, or if he will stay healthy the entire season.

Although the left knee will eventually need more work because microfracture is a temporary fix, not a solution, Suns doctor Tom Carter thinks the right knee will be a greater immediate issue because Stoudemire has chronic arthritis in it.

“He’s going to have to cope with periodic flare-ups,” Carter said.

And when he does, the Suns will have to walk a fine line between babying and bullying him.

“People can say what they want but nobody knows what kind of pain I have in my body but me,” Stoudemire said. “Nobody knows what I can and can’t do but me.”

Time is running out for Stoudemire and the Suns to find the answer to that latter puzzle.

Soon, D’Antoni will have to dust off his best Bono and tell Stoudemire the Suns are ready to move on: “With or without you.”

2. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

Didn't Amare change his number because of the charity he started or something? "Each one - Teach one"

3. Omer

Omer Member

I hope not. One of the reasons I don't like him is cause his number change action.

4. compucomp

compucomp Member

5. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Shawn Kemp Part Deux.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I sure hope not, but after reading that article, my view on Amare has abruptly changed. Something in me is already viewing him in the past tense. In a few years, we will be talking about what he could have been and what promise he had. 10 years from now, young NBA fans won't even know him.

Hope I'm wrong and he gets it together and maximizes what ability he has left.

7. HeadsUp7Up

HeadsUp7Up Member

Screw Amare. I feel no sympathy for this punk.

8. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

It's a pity. All that talents wasted.

But I am totally OK with that. The punk at least got his money.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

"He really should play through the pain and do everything for the Team " - Grant Hill

Rocket River

10. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

This sounds awfully similar to when Webber returned from microfracture in Sacramento.

Evan

11. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Bad for the Suns, good for everyone else...

12. sbyang

sbyang Member

Shawn Kemp got really really fat, Amare is shrinking before our eyes. When I first saw him this season I thought it was a rookie guard or something.

13. Bookie_aKa_Loc

WHY THE ROCKETS FANS ARE SO SCARED OF AMARE STOUDEMIRE???

YEAH RIGHT COUSE HE IS GONNA DESTROY THE ROCKETS!!! :D :D :D

AMARE IZ BACK YA b****ES!!!

14. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

He is back in rehab.

So the only rockets he will be destroying anytime soon are those rubber ones you find at Spencers.

15. Mordo

Mordo Contributing Member

The Suns will be fine even without Amare. They are still contending with Boris Diaw at center.

16. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

if i were i suns fan i would be SCREAMING for a trade.

they were one game away form the finals without amare or kurt thomas. they bring back kurt, trade amare for whatever you can get and try to win in the next 3 years.

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

What team will take an injured max player in a trade? You can scream all you want but screaming won't make another teams' GM dumb. At this moment, Amare's trade value couldn't be lower. The only way they can trade him is for him to come back and play well.

18. compucomp

compucomp Member

Maybe Zeke will bite. You never know. Maybe Denver too, they signed K-Mart, and they signed Nene to a ridiculous $60 mil contract coming off a blown-out knee.

19. richirich

richirich Contributing Member

um like did he ever play well against Yao?

um didn't Yao have several of his best scoring and rebounding games EVERRRER against Amare?

Wake me up when Amare starts playing more than 18 minutes per game....
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzz