1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Torrents & copyright question (kinda important)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jasonemilio, May 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Okay so I just this really foreboding warning from CBS, which was then forwarded to my ISP:

So long story short: I love to "download" TV shows/Movies via P2P and file sharing softwares like Bitcomet. I've done this for the past year or so, and this is the first time I've gotten a warning. I would then convert the downloaded tv show (like NCIS in this case) and convert it to a mp4 or other Itunes-compatible format and play them back on my Ipod (using the software AnyVideoConverter). I usually get the bitcomet file from piratebay or isohunt, etc and I always check to see if its "legitimate" (usually by looking at the number of seeds/leachers and the comments and such). And I do all of this for myself and myself only and I have never "distributed" to anyone else for profit.

So can copyright experts explain to me what I violated? :(

And FYI, I have deleted all of files or links relating to that certain downloaded TV show.

I have also downloaded the other 6 seasons of NCIS too, and recently some of Criminal Minds (because I've missed out on most of these shows in the past), so this is not like the first time I've downloaded something under CBS's property over Bittorrent.

2. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

um what was the last thing you downloaded? Let us know so others can be aware as well :p

3. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Nevermind....reading is fundamental.

4. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

The file is listed at the very bottom in the quotes

This is scaring me guys..........I really hope I didn't commit some crime :(

.........and I also just recently downloaded some more recent episodes of Criminal Minds too lol............

5. itony

itony Member

first of all, isn't downloading them in the first place illegal?.... :eek:

secondly, when you dl torrents you usually are uploading at the same time you download = sharing

6. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

wow, i didn't realize people could be so ignorant.

7. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

As far as copyright infringement goes, it only applies when you sell for profit...

But... downloading those videos are also illegal as well. :p

8. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Well, I've been doing this for a year now so why haven't I been warned before?.......

9. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

After IsoHunt went down, I have no clue where to get torrents anymore. For me, the torrent era has died.

(Not so clever way of asking where the hell everyone else goes to DL them?!)

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Dude, demonoid.

11. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

Criminal Minds sucks so hard.

12. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

All the letter says is that you need to stop sharing the content. In general, when you use torrent, you also share them for others to download. What you can do to avoid this in the future is as soon as you are done downloading the torrent stop the torrent traffic. Do not let torrents stay active for too long. It seems to be that simple...

13. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Okay so it depends on whether the file you're downloading is copyrighted originally , right?
    And Pizza, yeah I sort of suspected something like that, that is, letting the file stay uploaded for too long..........but then how do torrents get so many seeders then? Isn't that what the seeders are doing? Or is there a fundamental difference?

14. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

15. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

I wouldnt worry about it. I've received a letter like that before, but nothing ever happened. I would wait awhile to dl stuff though, just in case.

16. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

I download from a chinese website even though I can't read chinese .. but you can search by typing in english

They have the newest bluray .mkv movies/tv shows ... quick! I got Avatar bluray 12gig last month

since the servers are mostly from China, I think it should be alil safer since they dont really have much copyright laws. Being using it since 05' ... it uses Emule

www.verycd.com

http://www.verycd.com/search/folders/avatar

17. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I find it hilarious that you got busted for downloading a TV program. I've gotten one warning so far, but that was due to me downloading Tigerwood 10' for the wii the day it came out.

The warning means nothing, its a formality. It all depends on your ISP's rule. Some ISP's simply pass it on while others will eventually terminate you if they keep getting complaints.

If you download anything that is not freeware, then its pirating. TV shows have all the commercials ripped out of them. Really, its more about CBS not getting credit for you have watching the show than you downloading it.

Protect yourself. Use Peer Guardian 2 or Peer Blocker. Its not 100% safe, but its better than running around in the red light district with no protection.

18. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I suspect Clutch might not like you linking to illegal files and suspect web sites like pirate bay on this BBS.

20. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

As long as you are not sharing the material you are fine but I would not be downloading any CBS content anymore. Plus, you can catch those episodes online streaming even though I understand you want to watch it at your convenience. Also, last time I visited IsoHunt there was a message saying they are going through a legal battle and has disabled their torrents temporarily I thought.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.